What are your goals? How long do you think it will take for you to achieve them?

applebauce

Registered
Reaction score
I watched a youtube video that had clips about achieving goals in a short amount of time (90 days). I'm doubting this, so I'm curious what others think about goals and how long they think it will take to achieve them.

This is that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp1iEd3VABo

What are your goals? How long do you think it will take for you to achieve them?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Dude! I don't have 90 days. Far too long. My goals are usually thought up and then chased down. 90 days! That's a lifetime.

Elmvine

Registered
Reaction score
Finish current active WIP (draft).

Preferably by the end of this year. Not even going to look at the wordcount until I'm done, I noticed that's one of my distractions.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I recently made a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days (got the idea here on AW).

A lot of my goals on that list would be impossible in 90 days (such as the ones relating to University, which I still have a little over a year and a half to go with) but there are quite a number that, honestly, I could achieve in a day. *shrug*

Depends on what your goals are, really.

When I break things down, though, like, "Just finish this assignment!" or "Work on the novel damn it!" then I can do those in short amounts of time.

U2Girl

I can sell you anything
Registered
Reaction score
Non writing goals are to lose 35 pounds and somehow convince my husband that we are long over due for a REAL vacation (last one was 3 yrs ago; honeymoon to Disney World).

Writing goals - 1. write something, ANYTHING daily. Either in my blog or offline. 2. Enter the Writer's Digest competition for this year.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
90 days will go by in a flash to me, but I tend to think about goals better in terms of seasons. By the time summer break is over I hope to have pounded out a few rough drafts of children's stuff I've been putting off. I have some long-term goals set to mature in about 6 years, give or take. I can't even think about those too much or I start sweating. :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a goal. Learn not to make typos when giving rep points.

I don't know how long it will take me to accomplish this, but probably forever.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my approach: Make the goals come to you! You don't need goals; goals need you. What would they be without you, after all? Nothing. They would be nothing.

:D

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I recently made a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days (got the idea here on AW).

Cliff, are you part of the Day Zero Project? :D

(The link takes you to my goals and to the project, in case anybody cares...)

How long a goal takes depends on the goals. I've had goals that I thought up in the morning and finished in the afternoon, and I have goals that might take me a lifetime to complete (like paying off my student loans.) You can write a novel in a month (especially during November), but it's unlikely that if you want to be the author of a bestseller that you'll acheive that in anything near 90 days.

What is important when setting goals is to make sure they're specific so that you actually can acheive them. For example, "get rich" is not specific. What is rich, and rich compared to whom? Have one million dollars in unmortgaged assets is much clearer.

Then you need to break them down into baby steps, so that you can see progress. Finally you need to put a timeline on all the little baby steps.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
No, I wasn't part of that site, actually... I just have an Excel Spreadsheet with my list of 101 things. *shrug*

And it's totally possible to write a bestseller in a month. Some NaNoers have done so. ;)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I'd like to have my current WIP finished in 90 days. That's doable.
I'm also trying to get a book trade published. Not as doable, but my goal deadline is two years. If it doesn't work out, I'll try other methods.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Hm. I met my goal of getting a book pubbed, so my new goal is to turn writing novels into a lifelong career. Which in the shorter term means writing another book, which should take me roughly 9 months to a year. Which, in the even shorter term, means writing a little every day.