PDA

View Full Version : Any tattoos?

Moonpetal
04-17-2013, 07:47 PM
I just got a new one for my 27th. :hooray:

I'd love to hear about your tattoos, if you have any.

Undercover
04-17-2013, 08:10 PM
What did you get?

I have a blue butterfly above my left ankle, a dove with a heart on my left shoulder blade (was an impulse tatt on a vacation) and three little red hearts outlined in black on my left hand, (for my husband and two kids) which I adore above all mine. All are done on the left side cuz I'm a lefty. I want more but hubby keeps turning me down on it. Plus they're expensive depending on what you want. My little hearts cost 50 bucks and I can hide all three with my one thumb.

dgrintalis
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
I have six (so far)--a Celtic dragon on my lower back, a Celtic knot between my shoulder blades, a swirl design on my inside right wrist, Nevermore on my right ankle, Once upon a time on my inner right forearm, and A paper tiger to swallow me whole on my inner left forearm.

KTC
04-17-2013, 08:28 PM
I have 2 I will not speak of. I got them when I was 16...30years ago.

On my left forearm I have: Om mani padme hum in Tibetan symbols. (July 2012)

On my right inside forearm I have: a pic of a bird on a wire and the Leonard Cohen lyric: I have tried in my way to be free. (Jan 2013)

On my right forearm I have: There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in (Jan 2012)

On the back of my left shoulder: POLEPOLE with the latitude and longitude of the Kenyan island of Lamu. (July 2010)

That's all. (-:

I'm going for a pic next. I'm covered in word graffiti. I need art. (-;

jjdebenedictis
04-17-2013, 09:22 PM
I've no tattoos because I figure you have to be as committed to a tattoo as you would be to a marriage. It's for life. It's maybe even for longer than life, because if you fall into a glacier and get mummified, when they dig you out, you'll still have your tattoos. :)

I could see myself getting one to memorialize an important event, but I've resisted getting the pretty ones I think would look good simply because I know my taste in artwork would change over the decades, and eventually I'll wish I didn't have it. Again, it's a commitment. Until death (or lasers) do you part!

Y'know, this thread is just begging for some photos, folks...

KTC
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Nothing is permanent. Least of all, me. You can see one of my arm tats in my avi. (-;

Elmvine
04-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I wouldn't get any myself, I think my mind and preferences changes too much to ever stick to one design. However, I know my boyfriend wants his arms, and maybe his neck covered in tats.

When he'll do this, I don't know.

Candienziia
04-17-2013, 10:27 PM
I have a treble clef which is also shaped like a violin, with the bow as the center vertical line; it is located on my left rib cage.

Elmvine
04-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I have a treble clef which is also shaped like a violin, with the bow as the center vertical line; it is located on my left rib cage.

I honestly want to see that. Do you have a picture of the design?

crunchyblanket
04-17-2013, 10:42 PM
I have six:

- a small sun design on my lower abdomen
- two stars on each shoulder, front-facing
- a moogle (FF9 era) on my upper back
- an ice goddess on my right calf
- a half-sleeve featuring a Maneki Neko and a lotus flower, with a backdrop of Japanese-style waves

I'm planning an Alphonse Mucha tribute for my other arm, and a Japanese-inspired backpiece with a kitsune as a focal point.

juniper
04-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Again, it's a commitment. Until death (or lasers) do you part!

I've been itching for a tattoo for 3+ years but couldn't decide on a design. Or a place.

I think I've finally decided on words - and I think I've decided on the words - and the place - two words stacked over two words, divided by some sort of wavy line

I'm not ready to share the words, but here's the basic design. Probably in black. Not too big.

secret words
~~~~~~~~
secret words

On my left collarbone, where I can see it if I glance down but is not readily visible to others. It's mostly a reminder to myself.

I chose collarbone partly because my weight fluctuates by many many pounds and that seems to be a place where the words wouldn't stretch and shrink too much, or I wouldn't get too wrinkly. I'm to an age where I think about stuff like that.

For tattoo experienced people, is collarbone good for avoiding weight/age changes?

I'm thinking of getting it while my husband's away next month. :) He's somewhat opposed to my having one, but not enough to really care, I think.

Moonpetal
04-17-2013, 11:08 PM
What did you get?

I got a replica of a stag from Lascaux Cave (originally painted fairly deep in the cave something like 17000 yrs ago.) It's so elegant. Had it done on my shoulder, near the collarbone (will post a pic after it's done peeling. Ick. If anyone wants to see.)

Your three little hearts sound so lovely!

I have six (so far)--a Celtic dragon on my lower back, a Celtic knot between my shoulder blades, a swirl design on my inside right wrist, Nevermore on my right ankle, Once upon a time on my inner right forearm, and A paper tiger to swallow me whole on my inner left forearm.

Those sound beautiful! What font(s) did you decide on for the quotations?

I have 2 I will not speak of. I got them when I was 16...30years ago.

I'm going for a pic next. I'm covered in word graffiti. I need art. (-;

Will you not speak of the two because you regret them or because they're too personal? You don't have to answer that. I'm just curious. The ones you mention sounds really cool; I like the placement of the one on your avatar. What you mean, a pic next? Like a visual image?

Moonpetal
04-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I've no tattoos because I figure you have to be as committed to a tattoo as you would be to a marriage. It's for life. It's maybe even for longer than life, because if you fall into a glacier and get mummified, when they dig you out, you'll still have your tattoos. :)

I could see myself getting one to memorialize an important event, but I've resisted getting the pretty ones I think would look good simply because I know my taste in artwork would change over the decades, and eventually I'll wish I didn't have it. Again, it's a commitment. Until death (or lasers) do you part!

Y'know, this thread is just begging for some photos, folks...

It definitely is a commitment. Otzi the Ice Man had some pretty cool tattoos. Did you know that Brad Pitt has a tattoo of Ice Man on his forearm? Talk about cyclical ink.

My first two tattoos came from dreams. Their symbolism has deepened over the years. So I'd definitely suggest something that has a deep meaning rather than pretty to try to prevent regrets. Though there's nothing wrong with pretty tattoos... sometimes I dream about getting Kat Von D-esque roses on my neck... but it doesn't have a meaning, so not for me in the end.

I second photos.

I have six:

- a small sun design on my lower abdomen
- two stars on each shoulder, front-facing
- a moogle (FF9 era) on my upper back
- an ice goddess on my right calf
- a half-sleeve featuring a Maneki Neko and a lotus flower, with a backdrop of Japanese-style waves

I'm planning an Alphonse Mucha tribute for my other arm, and a Japanese-inspired backpiece with a kitsune as a focal point.

Ooh. I like the sounds of ice goddess. Any photos? And OMG Mucha tribute-- my photo teacher had one on her arm. So, so, so beautiful and flowed really well on the body.

Moonpetal
04-17-2013, 11:18 PM
I think I've finally decided on words - and I think I've decided on the words - and the place - two words stacked over two words, divided by some sort of wavy line

For tattoo experienced people, is collarbone good for avoiding weight/age changes? .

The lady I went to said generally places without much fat do well with aging and weight changes. Places like the ankles, lower back. I think the collarbone counts under this category. What sort of font are you considering?

KTC
04-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Will you not speak of the two because you regret them or because they're too personal? You don't have to answer that. I'm just curious. The ones you mention sounds really cool; I like the placement of the one on your avatar. What you mean, a pic next? Like a visual image?

because they are in places that only my wife will ever see. I don't regret anything but hiccups.

crunchyblanket
04-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Ooh. I like the sounds of ice goddess. Any photos? .

I've only got one of the outline - it's been coloured since. I'll get a photo once I've shaved my legs, lol. In the meantime, the lineart:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/monkeh_girl_lolly/DSCN9100.jpg

Moonpetal
04-18-2013, 12:08 AM
I've only got one of the outline - it's been coloured since. I'll get a photo once I've shaved my legs, lol. In the meantime, the lineart:
Beautiful! Love it. It must be awesome with color, too. Did you design it yourself?

dgrintalis
04-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Those sound beautiful! What font(s) did you decide on for the quotations?

Nevermore was done in the tattoo artist's own handwriting - a very lovely and ornate cursive. The two on my arms were done in Vivaldi.

My next tat will be Something wicked this way comes on my right upper arm with some sort of ornamental design around it, but I'm not sure what font yet.

crunchyblanket
04-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Beautiful! Love it. It must be awesome with color, too. Did you design it yourself?

No, an artist friend of mine did. I loved it so much I had to have it. It's based on a summon from a Final Fantasy game, but in her style.

ArcticFox
04-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Here are mine!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6V1gIEMjvyI/TBllkHQXWxI/AAAAAAAAAKs/C8IygyfGkZQ/s412/dannietat3.jpg

The Auryn from The Neverending Story. One of my favorite books and movies of all time. It's on my left thigh.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3F9PnFoXq38/TBllkGcEitI/AAAAAAAAAKo/IHoaUArAkUw/s205/dannietatjrrt.jpg

This is my Tolkien tattoo. It has Gandalf's hat, Narsil, The One Ring, The Eye of Sauron, an arrow, Lothlorien leaf, and a hobbit pipe. The are placed to spell out J.R. R. T. in the shape of his monogram. It's on my right shoulder.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C4xY1fIKx2I/TBlkrgslxzI/AAAAAAAAAKg/cie7CifbKIo/s400/pentagram.bmp

My Wicca design. I designed it myself and had a friend draw it. It's a pentacle made out of roses and then the three phases of the moon: waxing, full, and waning. It also represents the three stages of the Goddess: maiden, mother, crone. It's on my lower back.

I also have a red fox sitting in ivy around my ankle, but I don't have a picture of that one yet. The fox is my totem animal.

My rule was I sat on a tattoo idea for two years. If I still wanted it after two years then I figured I wanted it enough and would get it.

Ken
04-18-2013, 12:51 AM
... every few months I take a peek in the AW Photo Album thread.
Did that just the other day. There are some pics on the most recent page of a AWer who is heavily tattooed. Legs and all. Looks neat. Worth having a look. Wedding photo of her too with best men and women -- and two pups ^..^
Forget their username. New one to the site. Only a dozen posts or so.
Maybe someone could direct her here.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32010&page=73

ps Posters above have got some nice tats too.

crunchyblanket
04-18-2013, 01:22 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/monkeh_girl_lolly/ac819524-8182-4013-a434-6e8f06469c2e_zps08c62802.jpg

One of my half-sleeve - still fresh, VERY swollen arm. Three sessions of five hours each to complete.

dgrintalis
04-18-2013, 01:23 AM
Crunchy, that is gorgeous!

AndyD
04-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Crunchy that is awesome.

I've been intending to get my first for the last few months. Was finally going to last Saturday. Had spoken to an artist and scheduled a time and all that nonsense. But naturally I got jumped Friday night, concussed, and fractured my cheek. So we'll have to put it off for another day. Felt a little bad, completely forgot to cancel with the guy. He called me and was pretty pissed until I explained what happened.

thethinker42
04-18-2013, 02:09 AM
I have seven. A rose on my left shoulder, a pegasus as a memorial to my horse on my right shoulder, a frog on my right calf, a gryphon on my left calf, and Japanese Kanji on the insides of both wrists ("think" and "dream").

My newest is this one (http://navywifeadventures.blogspot.com/2012/05/new-body-graffiti.html) on my right arm (the lizard is my husband's tattoo, the other one is mine), and I'm currently designing the one for my left arm.

jjdebenedictis
04-18-2013, 02:35 AM
I had at one point considered getting a UV tattoo, so that I wouldn't see it unless I wanted to see it.

Has anyone got any experience with the UV-reflective inks? Are they really invisible in normal light? Is there any mild scarring that shows up even after healing? (I already know it's hard to find an artist who will/can do them.)

Moonpetal
04-18-2013, 03:59 AM
Nevermore was done in the tattoo artist's own handwriting - a very lovely and ornate cursive. The two on my arms were done in Vivaldi.

My next tat will be Something wicked this way comes on my right upper arm with some sort of ornamental design around it, but I'm not sure what font yet.

Those all sound lovely.

No, an artist friend of mine did. I loved it so much I had to have it. It's based on a summon from a Final Fantasy game, but in her style.

That's amazing. Your friend is very talented!

Here are mine!

My rule was I sat on a tattoo idea for two years. If I still wanted it after two years then I figured I wanted it enough and would get it.

Okay, I adore all your tattoos. "The Neverending Story" is my favorite book, too! And the pentagram is just beautiful, very elegant linework that reminds me of old fairy tale illustrations. The fox one sounds really cool, too.

One of my half-sleeve - still fresh, VERY swollen arm. Three sessions of five hours each to complete.
This is gorgeous. Just beautiful. But 15 hours! Ack! Did your arm just get numb after a bit?

Moonpetal
04-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Crunchy that is awesome.

I've been intending to get my first for the last few months. Was finally going to last Saturday. Had spoken to an artist and scheduled a time and all that nonsense. But naturally I got jumped Friday night, concussed, and fractured my cheek. So we'll have to put it off for another day. Felt a little bad, completely forgot to cancel with the guy. He called me and was pretty pissed until I explained what happened.

:( So sorry to hear about that! I hope you heal quickly and are able to get your tattoo. What were/are you planning, if you don't mind sharing?

My newest is

So elegant!

Ken
04-18-2013, 04:04 AM
... cute lizard and cats.
Distributing virtual pats :-)

angeluscado
04-18-2013, 05:04 AM
I have three.

June 2006
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/declawed_gecko/tattoo1.jpg

April 2007
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/declawed_gecko/26875_417878485179_584810179_5689774_2931495_n.jpg

April 2009 (?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/declawed_gecko/tat3-1.jpg

I have several more that I want, mostly writing/reading related

Candienziia
04-18-2013, 05:38 AM
https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/216397_1002932837931_6395_a.jpg

Not great quality, but the idea is there.

ArcticFox
04-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Okay, I adore all your tattoos. "The Neverending Story" is my favorite book, too! And the pentagram is just beautiful, very elegant linework that reminds me of old fairy tale illustrations. The fox one sounds really cool, too.

Thanks! I am loving all the inked people on here. Yay for ink!

KellyAssauer
04-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Three,
no
wait...

Does having people with a tattoo count?

:D

Candienziia
04-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Three,
no
wait...

Does having people with a tattoo count?

:D

Does that mean you have a tattoo of a person who has a tattoo? Like tattooception?

Moonpetal
04-18-2013, 06:23 PM
I have three.

Those are all beautiful!

Not great quality, but the idea is there.

I've always liked linear tattoos, and this one is no exception.

Moonpetal
04-18-2013, 06:24 PM
I had at one point considered getting a UV tattoo, so that I wouldn't see it unless I wanted to see it.

I don't have experience with this type of tattoo, but since you seem to be into subtle tattoos, have you considered white ink?

EMaree
04-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Oh hey, just found this thread. :) I got my first tattoo last year! It's been a while and I still love it. I'm a little gutted that I can't give blood until a year after getting inked, though (it's a blood doning restriction in Scotland).

I chatted about getting it and posted a pic of the unshaded lines over on my blog (http://emmamaree.com/personal-life/got-my-first-tattoo/).

http://emmamaree.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/feathertattoo-300x213.jpg

jjdebenedictis
04-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't have experience with this type of tattoo, but since you seem to be into subtle tattoos, have you considered white ink?I have, and I'd probably go that route if I did get a tattoo.

However, I thought it could look awesome to have a UV tattoo of cumulus clouds where all you see is the glow of sunshine reflecting off the tops of the clouds (and maybe a bit of back-reflection on the lower edges, just for contrast, or maybe a pale glow to show the "sky" behind the clouds, again to get a contrast.)

Because the ink can only be seen under black light, and because it glows in contrast to your skin, the clouds would (hopefully) look very much like real clouds shining in the sun.

Bright, fluffy clouds are my personal symbol for happiness. :)

Howard Beale
04-19-2013, 01:36 AM
I have 'Live Forever' in black ink on my left wrist. I'm hopefully going to get an infinity symbol (∞) on my right wrist some time in the near future. I've seen a few designs that I like the look of.

Jersey Chick
04-19-2013, 02:26 AM
I have two - a tribal on my right ankle (I know, I know. I was young and unoriginal when I got it )and a four leaf clover on my left. I got both of them when I was in my early 20s. I've been wanting another one, the word Imagine, probably on my left wrist/forearm area. I haven't quite worked up the nerve to do it yet, though. Hopefully soon. :D

BunnyMaz
04-19-2013, 03:07 AM
I have two so far - would probably have half a dozen by now if funds weren't prohibitive. There's a ring of roses and barbed wire around my belly button which I get at age 17, convinced my tummy would never change shape or size, and I have a rather cute/creepy toy rabbit I designed over my left kidney, in honour of my parents' adorable nicknames for each other and me.

Currently planning a tattoo that me and my dad are going to get together when funds allow, a sleeve and something small for the back of my neck.

Candienziia
04-19-2013, 03:37 AM
I have, and I'd probably go that route if I did get a tattoo.

However, I thought it could look awesome to have a UV tattoo of cumulus clouds where all you see is the glow of sunshine reflecting off the tops of the clouds (and maybe a bit of back-reflection on the lower edges, just for contrast, or maybe a pale glow to show the "sky" behind the clouds, again to get a contrast.)

Because the ink can only be seen under black light, and because it glows in contrast to your skin, the clouds would (hopefully) look very much like real clouds shining in the sun.

Bright, fluffy clouds are my personal symbol for happiness. :)

This whole post just improved my mood in a much needed way.

KellyAssauer
04-19-2013, 06:23 AM
*sets down Woolite*

AndyD
04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Moonpetal -- Nothing too crazy. Four of the 8bit Legend of Zelda hearts, one empty with a date in it, on my ribs behind my left arm.

Liralen
04-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Thinker . . . ROFLMFAO!!! The bit about why you had the bandage on your arm :D

Yasaibatake
04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
I really want to get a tattoo, but it hasn't happened yet. I've been sitting on the same design for three years now - a henna-esque phoenix with the phrase "la couleur du blé" in script by the tail. ("the color of wheat" - it's a (partial) quote from Le Petit Prince about how past experiences and memories shape our futures). I know where I want it to go (on the left side of my back), I'm even pretty sure I know the artist I'll go with...holding off due to money and job questions, but it will eventually happen!

Purple Rose
04-19-2013, 09:42 AM
I have a purple rose on my midriff, done eight years ago, when I was 42. My favourite flower in my favourite colour. My husband hated the idea then, fearing our daughters will get tattoos in due course. They did, one soon after she turned 18 and the other recently, just after she turned 21. I told them their tattoos should be in places that would not show during job interviews or at embassy parties. They complied.

jjdebenedictis
04-19-2013, 09:59 AM
I have two - a tribal on my right ankle (I know, I know. I was young and unoriginal when I got it )...I shame-facedly admit I always have and still do really like tribal tattoos. I think they're cool-looking--spiky-badass and swirly-beautiful, all at the same time. :)

evilrooster
04-19-2013, 11:19 AM
I have a phoenix on my left shoulder. I got it about 13 years ago, so it's not as crisp as it used to be. I come and go about whether I regret it or love it, but it's part of me now, either way.

After I got it, my much-younger sister started pestering my mother to allow her to get tattooed. Mom held out until she went to university. Then, of course, my sister went under the needle. I think she has three now, and regrets one of them (it was a matching tattoo with a girlfriend. The breakup was not pretty.)

When my sister came home with the first tat, my mother surprised us all by declaring that she no longer felt she had to hold the line of prudence, going to the tattooist, and coming back with a ladybird on her back. She'd always wanted one. :)

thethinker42
04-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Thinker . . . ROFLMFAO!!! The bit about why you had the bandage on your arm :D

LOL My only regret is not getting a pic of her expression.

IAMWRITER
04-19-2013, 07:23 PM
I really want to get stars down my right calf and maybe a few small others.

But then I've a low pain tolerance and still need to work up the courage to go and get them done.

Jersey Chick
04-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I shame-facedly admit I always have and still do really like tribal tattoos. I think they're cool-looking--spiky-badass and swirly-beautiful, all at the same time. :)
I do, too. But all those tattoo artists on those tattoo shows wince like you've kicked a kitten right in front of them. Mine is very simple because I'm very chicken and I like it. :)

Moonpetal
04-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Oh hey, just found this thread. :) I got my first tattoo last year! It's been a while and I still love it. I'm a little gutted that I can't give blood until a year after getting inked, though (it's a blood doning restriction in Scotland).

Love it, the placement and the shape of the feathers.

Moonpetal -- Nothing too crazy. Four of the 8bit Legend of Zelda hearts, one empty with a date in it, on my ribs behind my left arm.
Awesome. Post photos when it happens!

When my sister came home with the first tat, my mother surprised us all by declaring that she no longer felt she had to hold the line of prudence, going to the tattooist, and coming back with a ladybird on her back. She'd always wanted one. :)

This is amazing! When my sis and I got our first tattoos together, my mother cried, screamed, went to church, said her rosaries and threw holy water on us. Now (8 years later) she wants one of her own...

EMaree
04-20-2013, 02:47 PM

When my sis and I got our first tattoos together, my mother cried, screamed, went to church, said her rosaries and threw holy water on us. Now (8 years later) she wants one of her own...

I love stories like this! Despite having a tattooed husband, my mum used to be extremely uneasy about tattoos. Then my sister went out and got a spree of them (three so far, I think, and only one she regrets -- writing along the side of her finger that's smudging noticeably). By the time I got around to getting mine, mum was very calm about it all.

It's reawakened dad's love of tattoos, though. He keeps talking about wanting more now. :)

juniper
07-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Resurrecting this - found a site that has pictures of book-related tattoos:

http://themetapicture.com/tattoos-inspired-by-books/

I'm still in the thinking mode. Haven't taken the plunge yet. I like the idea from jjdebenedictis with the glowing cumulus clouds.

Jersey Chick
07-29-2013, 11:26 PM
I just added a new one. My mom died last month, so instead of the word 'Imagine', I got the word 'Mom' inside angel's wings on my right wrist a few days after her funeral. Now I'm back to having to decide where to put 'Imagine.'

BardSkye
07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm about to add two to the phoenix on my right forearm. I'm waiting on sketches from the artist for a picture of the Hindu god Ganesha to go on the other forearm. Quite coincidentally the artist for this one, being done almost 30 years after the first, apprenticed with the original artist 30 years ago. He recognized his teacher's style the second he saw the phoenix.

I'm also going to get a barbershop quartet on one shoulder. Haven't decided yet what it will be made of. Maybe girls, maybe Tom and Jerry style cats, maybe Disney Siamese style cats.

juniper
04-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Getting my first one tomorrow. A bit nervous - it's so permanent! Not like dying your hair or chopping it off. I've picked the design and the location - upper left front shoulder, extending onto the top a bit.

I do want one - have been thinking about it for 4 (!) years but could never decide on a design. Finally set an appointment for 3 weeks out and did some design searching.

Not so nervous about the possible pain - more so about the size (maybe smaller would be better?) and the lying still for 2-3 hours (estimated time by the tattoo artist for this design). I've downloaded some podcasts onto my phone, and I have an iPod touch for music. A friend was going to do with me but she's moving and her house is on the market and she's got some appts for tomorrow.

Oh well. I just need to get it done. Or put it off for another 4 years ... :rolleyes:

thethinker42
04-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Congrats and good luck!

I'm getting my 9th tattoo two weeks from today. Can't wait!

amergina
04-30-2014, 10:21 PM
I got my first one last fall: https://twitter.com/amergina/status/381972585971343361

And I'll be getting my second in about two weeks as well (huh. coincidence!)

I have a third designed. Just need to nail down when with my artist.

Jersey Chick
05-01-2014, 12:16 AM
I have my next one planned out (to be inked probably at the end of summer) - I'd like to get two dragonflies- one blue/green w/my son's name and the other one pink/purple with my daughter's name - on my left shoulder. I have to balance out the number and placement. :)

Then I'll ponder Imagine and whatever comes after it to balance again... ;)

JustKia
05-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Congrats on #1 Juniper.

I got #10 on 7th Feb - my first white ink! Sadly it was also my first tat to have got infected; although I think that was partly down to the placement - on the outside of my left forearm (by my wrist) means that it is often in contact with surfaces such as my desk!
The altered healing meant that the white came out of the colouring - but somehow the outline wasn't affected.

However, I actually prefer it with just the outline and have decided not to have it re-coloured even though the tattooist said she'd re-colour for free.

Pic showing it at a couple of days and at 3 weeks (https://www.facebook.com/xJust.Kia/posts/897762510249957?stream_ref=10)
I was so worried that the blue stencil outline would colour the white and look odd. I figured if it did I'd go back and have a purple aura around it to disguise it, but no need all the blue stencil came off with the scabbing - niiiiice!

In no particular order...
Black heart on fire - upper left arm
Playboy bunny - upper right arm
Chinese letters - back of neck
Large "V" of little flowers - back of neck
Magic hat (with bunny ears poking up), 4 aces, wand, lots of stars - back of right shoulder
Pegasus/unicorn hybrid - back of left shoulder
2 separate dolphins - back
Ivy leaves - right ankle
Twisted nail heart - outer left forearm

I still want a heart with a banner that says "Forever Free" with my son's footprints, hoof prints for my horses and paw prints for my kitties around it.

Elhrrah
05-01-2014, 02:59 AM
I'm feeling some kind of a joke involving a writer's love of ink coming on...

I've only had time for one so far — a 1.2 inch wide bar down my spine, from collar line to tail bone.

Once I can afford the next few that I've planned out, that one won't make any more sense than it already does to the rest of the world.

Ken
05-01-2014, 03:12 AM
Has anyone got the ones which glow in the dark? I watched a show a few months ago which featured the company that makes the iridescent ink. It is a really new trend so probably not many shops offer to do this.

V.J. Allison
05-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I never heard of glow in the dark tats. They would be interesting to see though.

Currently, I have two tattoos - an ankh on my upper left arm, and the constellation of Leo on my upper right arm. In time, I hope to add to the Leo one - I want it outlined with a lion and colored in with browns and golds. I just have to get the money to finish it... :D

Anninyn
05-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I have three, and am currently planning the fourth.

My three:
A small pirate kitty (head and cross fish skeletons) on my shoulder, done in a 'watercolour' style.
A large leg tattoo of passionflowers (same watercolour style)
stylised butterfly wings on my back.

Tattoo currently planned: full-sleeve, gormenghast inspired.

Jersey Chick
05-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Currently, I have two tattoos - an ankh on my upper left arm, and the constellation of Leo on my upper right arm. In time, I hope to add to the Leo one - I want it outlined with a lion and colored in with browns and golds. I just have to get the money to finish it... :D

I read this as the constellation of LEGO. **facepalm**

That's what I get for reading before coffee...

juniper
05-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Weeelllll - I'm back, and I'm tattooed.

Hmm.

The design isn't just as I wanted - which was a design off the internet - but is similar. Simpler.

Too much shading, maybe. So I might go back and have him add some highlights. But I really need to let it heal up and rest awhile before I evaluate it and decide on changes.

Kinda like editing a manuscript - give it some time off, then see it in a new light.

But - I did hope I'd be happier. Is this just standard post-tat regret?

The pain was bearable. I'd taken a couple of ibuprofen and had a squeeze ball for each hand. I listened to a funny podcast on my phone during the process, but tried not to laugh and jostle my shoulder.

Hmm. I'm glad it's over - I hope I'll like it ... :e2shrug:

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/katkenway/tattoosmall_zps3a874eff.jpeg (http://s844.photobucket.com/user/katkenway/media/tattoosmall_zps3a874eff.jpeg.html)

Kylabelle
05-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Juniper, I think that looks very classy. I hope you really love it!

mommygoth
05-02-2014, 05:39 AM
Seven. The first at age 19, in an attempt to exorcise a desperate fear of spiders (it didn't work). It is, not surprisingly, a spider. I also have a dragon, a quartet of lizards, a wrought iron fence woven with ivy, the head of Medusa, the slain serpent of Cadmus (yes, I was a theatre major), and my family crest from Ireland.

EMaree
05-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Juniper, it looks lovely!

I'm not familiar with post-tattoo regret but you might feel better about things after you've gotten used to the tattoo.

Jersey Chick
05-02-2014, 04:17 PM
It looks very nice, juniper! I can't tell, but is it black and gray or color? (eyes in need of thicker lenses, unfortunately ;) )

thethinker42
05-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Juniper, it looks great! Also, if you're unsure about the shading, give it a couple of weeks. The color usually fades just a little after the tattoo heals, so what seems like too much shading now may be less so.

juniper
05-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Juniper, it looks great! Also, if you're unsure about the shading, give it a couple of weeks. The color usually fades just a little after the tattoo heals, so what seems like too much shading now may be less so.

I'm glad to hear this from someone experienced with tattoos. I was googling "tattoo regret" and "adding color to black tattoos" this morning. I think adding some brighter color will help - there's a bit of pale blue but it's hard to see.

Right now it's got a clear plastic bandage over it, which makes it look darker and smeary, so I'm trying not to panic ... :gaah

Anninyn
05-02-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm glad to hear this from someone experienced with tattoos. I was googling "tattoo regret" and "adding color to black tattoos" this morning. I think adding some brighter color will help - there's a bit of pale blue but it's hard to see.

Right now it's got a clear plastic bandage over it, which makes it look darker and smeary, so I'm trying not to panic ... :gaah
Just let it heal and don't scratch it. It'll look way better when it heals. If after a month you still feel like it needs some more colour, go back to your artist. They should be able to fix it for you.

JustKia
05-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Juniper - that's very pretty and classy.

What I have to say has already been said, I see.
Tattoos fade a little after healing - that's why so many of us that have black tats go and have them re-coloured after a while - they fade to grey ;)
My black heart has been re-coloured twice since I had it done and it's most definitely not *black* these days.

The clear plastic is usually meant to come off after an hour - you don't want to keep your tatt "wet".

Lorcroftlegacy
05-03-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't have any right now but plan on getting at least one. Maybe up to four.
The tat I want is a scorpion wrapped around my ribcage.

angeluscado
05-03-2014, 06:37 PM
I got another one in December - my brother's and sister's birthdates (month - day - last two digits of year) on my back in Roman numerals. It was the only thing the three of us could agree on (we went together and got the same thing - brother got mine and my sister's, and sister got mine and my brother's). Right on the spine and it hurt!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/declawed_gecko/267-1.jpg

I have the next one planned (ish). A chain five daisies to go on my left bicep. After reading about some of the other tattoos on here, I might add some lettering. Perhaps the oldie-but-goodie "Once upon a time..."

calieber
05-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Got a hand of Fatima on my back when I was 27. Nine years on I'm considering a second, either "Loki" in Futhark or Gothic, or Mr. Nervous (http://mrmen.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Jelly).

juniper
06-27-2015, 03:16 AM
Bringing this back into play - About 14 months ago, on May 1 2014, I got my first tattoo. It didn't turn out the way I thought it would. I brought in a photo to the "artist" and he said yeah and then drew it out himself and it looked kinda ok - he'd been doing it for 4 years so I thought he could do a good job -

Really, I didn't pay enough attention to choosing the right artist. After a few years of agonizing over the design, I went on the less expensive side of tattooist and it showed.

I lived with it but never liked it. Pondered the choices - modify? Or laser it off. I just ignored it, although it's on my front shoulder so I saw it everyday in the mirror.

I did a lot of searching online about "tattoo modification" and found an artist close by whose online presence said he did cover ups, but when I went to see him, he said he didn't do that many and he might be able to fix mine ... the hesitation was enough to put me off that.

I found another about 25 miles away who specializes in cover ups. I researched her pretty well then made a consult appointment. She was spot on. She was just so good. I really connected with her.

So on April 30, a year minus one day to the date of the initial tat, she started on the cover up. Then yesterday, she finished it, adding in the last colors.

Here's the way the first one looked:

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/katkenway/Resized%20for%20sharing/Tattoo%20before%20small_zpsseqlzdrw.jpeg (http://s844.photobucket.com/user/katkenway/media/Resized%20for%20sharing/Tattoo%20before%20small_zpsseqlzdrw.jpeg.html)

In the midst of cover up

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/katkenway/Resized%20for%20sharing/Tattoo%20process%205%20small_zpsfqrcxxqe.jpeg (http://s844.photobucket.com/user/katkenway/media/Resized%20for%20sharing/Tattoo%20process%205%20small_zpsfqrcxxqe.jpeg.html )

And immediately after she was finished

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/katkenway/Resized%20for%20sharing/Tattoo%20fresh%20small_zpsnwwdn4bg.jpeg (http://s844.photobucket.com/user/katkenway/media/Resized%20for%20sharing/Tattoo%20fresh%20small_zpsnwwdn4bg.jpeg.html)

A much more cohesive design. Will look like a design from a few feet away, rather than just a pile of spaghetti on me. This wouldn't have been my first choice for a new tattoo, but I like this much better than the original. I wanted the colors to be bright, but she said the gray underneath, from first one, would inhibit the colors somewhat. She was limited in what she could do, working off the original.

Next tattoo, I'll be more careful about choosing the right person to do it. I might use her again, even though it's a bit of a drive. She was really great to work with.

anastasiareeves
06-27-2015, 03:24 AM
The cover up looks great juniper!

---

I have 18 tattoos. Many of them are writing related. One of them is in my avatar over there <--- Aside from Harley Quinn I have Deadpool, 2 Lord of the Rings/Tolkien quotes, one Harry Potter spell (Expecto Patronum) and 2 elvish script ones. Also from The Mortal Instruments I have a friendship/parabatai rune. The others are an LA Kings logo, Serenity in chinese, Strength in chinese, a butterfly, the moon and some stars, Dream, Believe....and a heart/skull/ivy armband. The Tolkien quotes are "Not all those who wander are lost" which is written in Gallifrayan. And "Hope remains if friends stay true."

To say that I am a tattoo addict is putting it mildly :)

Pony.
06-27-2015, 06:19 AM
I have several covering my chest shoulder to shoulder. And one on my back. Regrettably not the one in my avi,though i would like a nice back piece.

Perks
06-27-2015, 07:06 AM
I have one. It's like permanent jewelry, because I can't seem to tolerate the feel of the heavier-than-ink variety. It's pretty.

mellymel
06-27-2015, 07:09 AM
I have an anklet tattoo around my left ankle that has my husband's name and my twin daughters' names in one of J.R.R. Tolkien's Elvish languages. It's written in black and outlined in turquoise.

I've always wanted the New York Yankees NY logo on the back of my neck (fairly small under my hair) and I really want something that's related to daisies (my favorite flower), but...no $$$. :(

minola
04-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Personally, I only have one tattoo. Its watercolor Disney tattoo of Tinkerbell on the forearm from here http://inkprofy.com/disney-tattoos/

iszevthere
04-27-2017, 06:46 AM
Everyone in my immediate family has tattoos except me. My dad has tattoos everywhere that a nice dress shirt and dress pants (aka what he wears to work every day) covers, my brothers have their sports numbers and names of family members tattooed on their arms and backs, and my mom has a tattoo of an African daisy vine circling her ankle. My mom got the tattoo just for the experience, my brothers as well, but my dad sees it as an ongoing art project. I am squeamish around all things medical because I was in and out of the hospital from ages 0-20, so none for me, but if I did, I'd get a tattoo of books somewhere on my torso. Yes, I am a nerd, but hey, I am not the only one here.

Beanie5
04-27-2017, 07:04 AM
Both my ex's had dragon tatoos ( way pre dating the girl )
The one piece of relationship advice i gave both my son and daughter.
Don't go out with a girl with a dragon tatoo. ( might be ok on blokes but i
am risking be sexist.)

Spookyboo
04-30-2017, 09:47 PM
I have three tats,
My first is of the Aerosmith logo (greatest band of all time)
my second is Kanji letters spelling out: Faith, Love Desire (seemed good at the time)
my third is the Zen brush circle

Anna Iguana
04-30-2017, 10:17 PM
I have one tattoo. It's an hourglass, on the back of my left hand, positioned for me to see as I write, typing at the keyboard. It reminds me to appreciate each moment, each grain of sand, passing.