An important question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritualFiction

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
At least I think it is. I'm writing a narrative about a young man who I simply described as a "bachelor". But being that I don't elaborate on dating any further than that, an obvious question might start to come up: why hasn't anything been mentioned about his dating habits (or lack of)? (even though it has nothing to do with the plot)

Well, I decided to finally "out" him as a gay male. Makes sense I guess since this character is loosely based upon myself.

A followup question I have is, how appropriate is this in today's literary climate, especially within the genre I'm working on which is "speculative fiction" and "magical realism". It's really an occult suspense story and has nothing to do with sexual orientation or romantic partnerings for that matter. But I mean, as a side-subject, I was reading it yet again, and began taking note that nothing is mentioned about dating or "why he's still single" at the ripe old age of 29, etc. So...any thoughts? I'm hoping for answers primarily from lovers of the genres I mentioned.

One thing's for sure, I'm not gonna "pretend" that he's heterosexual and just happens to renounce dating.

Thanks everybody :)

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a genre I read much, but I don't see a problem - what does it matter? IMO it's just like having a protag who's a single mom, somebody who lives with their ailing parent, or has a dog - you could turn all these facets of your protag's life into the main topic of your book, but if that's not what the book is about, these things just get a side mention.
Unless you write romance, there is no pressing need to mention the love life of your protag at all. I don't wonder about why the protagonists in books are single or if they're dating if it has nothing to do with the plot - just like I don't wonder if they've got a dog, kids, plants, parents etc ;) If none are mentioned, and the story works without them, I just don't think about it. Because books give a partial, focussed view of the characters' life.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
At least I think it is. I'm writing a narrative about a young man who I simply described as a "bachelor". But being that I don't elaborate on dating any further than that, an obvious question might start to come up: why hasn't anything been mentioned about his dating habits (or lack of)? (even though it has nothing to do with the plot)

Well, I decided to finally "out" him as a gay male. Makes sense I guess since this character is loosely based upon myself.

A followup question I have is, how appropriate is this in today's literary climate, especially within the genre I'm working on which is "speculative fiction" and "magical realism". It's really an occult suspense story and has nothing to do with sexual orientation or romantic partnerings for that matter. But I mean, as a side-subject, I was reading it yet again, and began taking note that nothing is mentioned about dating or "why he's still single" at the ripe old age of 29, etc. So...any thoughts? I'm hoping for answers primarily from lovers of the genres I mentioned.

One thing's for sure, I'm not gonna "pretend" that he's heterosexual and just happens to renounce dating.

Thanks everybody :)

Um . . . I'm honestly not sure what your question is . . . ? :Shrug:The only specific question you ask seems to be rhetorical . . .

If you're asking whether it's cool to have gay protags of SFF where it's not the focus of the story, I say DEFINITELY. We don't have nearly enough.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
If you're asking whether it's cool to have gay protags of SFF where it's not the focus of the story, I say DEFINITELY. We don't have nearly enough.

No, we don't, though they've been around a long time in SFF. Lookit ol' Game of Thrones. Only the best selling fantasy series of the last what, twenty years? Several not-straight characters. Plenty of other examples too.

You're fine. Now, go write, write like the wind (if the wind had a pen...)

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
Not every single human being is dating or actively searching for a romantic partner nonstop. A lot of people just enjoy (or at least, don't mind) being single for long stretches of time. If romance isn't relevant to the plot, leave it alone. If you want to mention he's gay, that's awesome. But I'd reccommend doing it sooner than later because you don't want to have a "Dumbledore was gay!" effect 4/5ths of the way in!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Not every single human being is dating or actively searching for a romantic partner nonstop.

This. I and quite a lot of my friends are single people who aren't dating or in a relationship, haven't been for a long time, and don't plan to be, maybe ever. It's not all that rare of a situation.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think making him gay solves your not-dating problem, tbh.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
^That's what I thought. Gay people date too.

Gay or straight, he doesn't have to be involved with anyone. Many people are happy single, and most readers won't care one way or the other unless it directly impacts the plot.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Some people have a low sex-drive and dating just isn't a priority for them.

ellio

a hardback life on an ebook budget
Registered
Reaction score
But I mean, as a side-subject, I was reading it yet again, and began taking note that nothing is mentioned about dating or "why he's still single" at the ripe old age of 29, etc. So...any thoughts?

The fact he's gay isn't an issue, but bear in mind that the fact he's gay really doesn't explain why he's single at the ripe old age of 29 (and is that even a ripe old age? if that's ripe then I have to do a whole load of re-thinking my life plan)
It's not like there aren't homosexual people out there.

I know you've said nothing is mentioned about it, but it makes me a leeeetle weary that you might not have thought enough about how best to write a gay character.
Considering putting in "hey why's he still single?" "because he's gay" isn't the way to go about it.

Feel free to tell me where to shove it, and that you are the most brilliant gay fiction writer on the planet (or whatever, i'm just ad-libbing, insert words of your choice) but something about the way you phrased that caused me to cringe.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Not every single human being is dating or actively searching for a romantic partner nonstop. A lot of people just enjoy (or at least, don't mind) being single for long stretches of time. If romance isn't relevant to the plot, leave it alone. If you want to mention he's gay, that's awesome. But I'd reccommend doing it sooner than later because you don't want to have a "Dumbledore was gay!" effect 4/5ths of the way in!

I have no problem with novels in which there are no romantic or sexual subplots, and if the action is intense and/or frenetic enough, I won't have time to worry about the protag's social life.

However, in a quieter novel, where the protag, male or female, gay or straight, comes across as a sociable sort, I'll probably wonder why he or she seems to have no social/dating life. Loner-types, on the other hand, I'll wonder why they're loners.

As for Dumbledore, I knew he was gay from Book One. He was too cool to be otherwise. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.