Jurassic Park in 3D

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
It's hard to believe Jurassic Park is a 20-year-old film. We went out to see it in 3D at the theater, after, of course, having seen it numerous times on TV and/or VHS. (We don't have a DVD.)

The special effects are still incredible, especially on the big screen. NOTHING about the dinosaurs looks fake or "CGI-ish." It's still a great film to watch.

The thing is, though, since we've already seen it so many times, much of the thrill is gone. It would have been a totally different experience if we'd never seen it before. This is a great opportunity to take someone to see it who for some reason has not seen it yet.

The 3D effects were impressive. The film did have that "3D" look to it, but all-in-all, it added nothing substantial to the movie. It was still Jurassic Park. It would have been different if the film were intentionally shot in 3D so more emphasis would have been placed on the dinosaurs emerging from the screen and marching all over the audience. But that didn't happen, of course.

The movie has aged very well. Visually and technically it looks like a new movie, save for some clothing choices. It's funny that in 1993, if we were to watch a movie 20 years old, from 1973, that movie would look totally 1970s. But Jurassic Park doesn't "look" 1990s.

Highlights:

Wayne Knight as Nedry. Just love the character and performance. As comic relief he figuratively and literally filled the screen. And his interactions with John Hammond were priceless.

A pre-Pulp Fiction Samuel L. Jackson as the chain-smoking computer technician. I can't believe this is the same actor who played Jules later on.

Laura Dern, a scientist who has never heard of Chaos Theory but understands what to look for in dinosaur droppings.

The girl, Lexi: "This is Unix. I KNOW this!" Uh huh.

And of course Jeff Goldblum, who wisecracks throughout. Maybe not an Oscar-winning performance, but a great character.

and finally Sam Neil, well, I guess I thought he was fine.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I took my sons (10 and 18) to see this the night it opened.

They loved it.

You're right. The dinosaur effects held up perfectly over time. There's no hint of fakery about them. They look just as much like real dinosaurs in 3D as they did twenty years ago when I watched it the first time.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
We saw it in IMAX 3D. It never gets old. I've seen it probably 20 times, and I still jump at all the jumpy places.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I went to see it with a very good friend last week. He totally forgot about the raptor in the shed. I LOL'd. :D

It was a fantastic experience for me. It's been one of my favorite movies for ages, but I was just a touch too young to see it in the theater (I was 7). Getting to see it on the big screen was, in a word, incredible. And loud. Loved every second. Some movies are just better on a big screen.

I noticed a couple of spots where the CG did not fare so well, but frankly I don't care. It's still got the magic that makes me believe it every single time.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
God I love that movie so much! And I know the thing off by heart. Plus DINOSAURS!

I thought the effects looked pretty darn slick for a twenty yearold film, and the 3D was nice but a bit pointless.

And I was struck again just by what an amazing piece of filmmaking it really is. I mean, no one knew what Velociraptors were before Jurassic Park really. And they managed to set them up as the ultimate villains, as something we the audience truly fear without really ever having seen one until the third act.

Brilliant :) .

And the music . . . so good . . .

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, we were just talking about that at home, how the movie hasn't really aged at all. I'm not that much of a 3D person, but if any movie would look good with it, it would be Jurassic Park. Seen it so many times now, I can quote entire dialogues. The first movie I ever saw more than once in theatre. Although it took about three turns before I ever dared to look at the 'Clever Girl' scene!

The choice to go with animaltronics rather than CGI was probably the best decision Spielberg could ever have taken.

And the music, oh my! Love it to bits.