PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon Support Thread

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 02:19 AM
I have no other place I can think of to post this. I don't want to go into the Politics section of the forum, I'd probably get banned for not being able to see dispassionately about it.

I have a friend I'm waiting to hear about. Anyone else?

I feel like my gutt has been wrenched out.

Either there are some serious accidents here where I live and Life Flight just happens to be circling our valley or the guard is up and about like on 9-11.

Either way, my heart and prayers are with those in Boston and their families.

regdog
04-16-2013, 02:26 AM
I don't know if you saw the tweet I gave you with a phone number if you're looking for a runner 617-635-4500

Fenika
04-16-2013, 02:35 AM
:Hug2:

"Really what is goin' wrong with this world that we're livin' in?" ~Black Eyed Peas

Williebee
04-16-2013, 02:35 AM
Rob also just posted this over in P&CE:

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/
(http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/)

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm so lucky that I found him. He messaged me on FB the minute he saw I was trying to find him. I also twitter'd it. Thanks Reddog.

It's really hard to sit here and feel so helpless. Wishing I could do something to help the victims and their families.

SWest
04-16-2013, 02:40 AM

Phone providers are also recommending trying to text people instead of calling them (requires less bandwidth).

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 02:43 AM

Phone providers are also recommending trying to text people instead of calling them (requires less bandwidth).Very good idea. I found my friend via Facebook. I am grateful he responded within 20 minutes of my message to him.

regdog
04-16-2013, 02:43 AM
I'm so glad you heard from him and he's okay.

Williebee
04-16-2013, 02:49 AM
Yay! For Cassi!

Kylabelle
04-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Thank you Cass for starting this thread, and yes very glad you found your friend. I am feeling this profoundly even though I don't know anyone directly involved. The fact that the Marathon was being run in honor of the Newtown victims, and that some of the survivors of the Newtown shooting were present, adds a layer of distress to all this.

I'm praying for peace and strength for those involved. I do hope that even in sadness and vigilance, people are able to avoid further panic.

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Still I wonder how many of our members of our community here are being impacted by this. We're here for you.

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 02:59 AM
Thank you Cass for starting this thread, and yes very glad you found your friend. I am feeling this profoundly even though I don't know anyone directly involved. The fact that the Marathon was being run in honor of the Newtown victims, and that some of the survivors of the Newtown shooting were present, adds a layer of distress to all this.

I'm praying for peace and strength for those involved. I do hope that even in sadness and vigilance, people are able to avoid further panic.

I'm also praying that authorities will find any devices that may be hidden. I saw on one news report that they were saying, "we don't know for sure it was devices or a natural event." seriously? They've found multiple devices now.

I also just read that one of the victims is an 8 year old. I don't understand how this can happen. It's just unthinkable.

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 03:06 AM
I have to study for finals and write a paper. But I'll check in. :Hug2:

aswiftsunset
04-16-2013, 03:07 AM
My uncle who lives in Boston had considered going to watch the marathon today, but decided against it last night. He is fine and he called my mum (his sister) and the rest of our family to tell them he was okay.

Thoughts with those of you who haven't heard from loved ones yet.

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 03:09 AM
My uncle who lives in Boston had considered going to watch the marathon today, but decided against it last night. He is fine and he called my mum (his sister) and the rest of our family to tell them he was okay.

Thoughts with those of you who haven't heard from loved ones yet.So glad he's okay.

Siri Kirpal
04-16-2013, 03:20 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Prayers for all affected. That's all of us.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Mclesh
04-16-2013, 03:26 AM
My friends at the marathon today checked in okay. So sad. My heart goes out to the victims and people of Boston. A terribly sad day for us all.

Rockweaver
04-16-2013, 05:56 AM
lady i am also waiting for a member of my family to call. we have posted several messages to them and the office they work in. we have had no reply so we will wait by the phone and trust that all is well.

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 06:09 AM
lady i am also waiting for a member of my family to call. we have posted several messages to them and the office they work in. we have had no reply so we will wait by the phone and trust that all is well.I'm so sorry. I hope they answer soon. :Hug2:

Rockweaver
04-16-2013, 06:48 AM
good news just got the call she is ok. thanks all for the support

Cassiopeia
04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
good news just got the call she is ok. thanks all for the supportI'm so glad! :Hug2:

BunnyMaz
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM
I heard the news just this morning.

I don't even know what to say, so I'll just offer hugs and hope for everyone on the forum that their loved ones are okay.

regdog
04-16-2013, 04:44 PM
I really hate for the only images some people have of Boston to be those of suffering. My Boston is beautiful.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/pics/-boston-skyline_zps2b5fd7b8.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/pics/images1-3_zps64489d71.jpg

Komnena
04-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Hugs to all Bostonians everywhere.

Chase
04-16-2013, 09:51 PM
My Boston is beautiful.

Yes, it is. :ty: for the comparison photos. History tells us Boston folks bear their troubles with grace and go on.

My thoughts with you. :yesway::yesway:

SuspiciousCookie
04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
I, too, would like to express my condolences for anyone involved (I have already kind of done that in my introduction thread, but there you go). Three dead people dead (as far as I know) seems like not a lot, when in truth it means that three lives are just gone - vanished, like our daily dreams - and a whole lot more are in ruins - more than dozens of people had to have their legs amputated. They will never walk again. And the families of those people, as well as the dead, are in deep grief. I can just hope that no one from these boards currently experiences that and that those who do will find redemption soon.

Those who did this will need to pay. And by the jurisdiction of the authorities, may that be as soon as possible.

My best wishes,
the Cookie who's not even from the USA

Cassiopeia
04-18-2013, 10:18 AM
I am grateful to those who are still here posting. It means a lot.

Snowstorm
04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
This is the first I've seen this thread. Anything such as this is a horror. But it seems so much harder when it's an event where there's so much joy in the striving for success or at the attempt. My heart's breaking for those victims and their family and friends.

Cassiopeia and Rockweaver: I'm so relieved for you both. Regdog: I'm so sorry this happened anywhere, but I'm sorrowful for your city.

Lavern08
04-18-2013, 06:27 PM
:cry:

SWest
04-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Sheryl Nantus
04-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Not too long after the incident one of the people I follow on Twitter sent out a photograph.

You've probably seen the edited version - the man in the wheelchair with the man wearing the cowboy hat beside him with others around as they ran to safety.

I saw the unedited version.

I worked in a hospital. I've gone home and tossed out shirts too bloody to launder.

I'm still upset by the photograph. Days later I still weep at seeing the edited version because I know what's under the cut.

Please, folks - THINK before reTweeting graphic pictures on events like this. There's a reason why editors go through these images before releasing them to the public. Some things are just not meant to be seen by anyone other than the photographer and the editor.

It doesn't lessen the impact and we don't need it.

Thank you.

Cassiopeia
04-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Not too long after the incident one of the people I follow on Twitter sent out a photograph.

You've probably seen the edited version - the man in the wheelchair with the man wearing the cowboy hat beside him with others around as they ran to safety.

I saw the unedited version.

I worked in a hospital. I've gone home and tossed out shirts too bloody to launder.

I'm still upset by the photograph. Days later I still weep at seeing the edited version because I know what's under the cut.

Please, folks - THINK before reTweeting graphic pictures on events like this. There's a reason why editors go through these images before releasing them to the public. Some things are just not meant to be seen by anyone other than the photographer and the editor.

It doesn't lessen the impact and we don't need it.

Thank you.Thank you, Sheryl. I have not been able to look at photos or video because of this very thing. Some say I'm too sensitive. I don't know if that's a bad thing. Just reading the reports of fathers throwing themselves or their children and people helping each other had me sobbing for the better part of two hours just thinking of what they were going through.

If I'm too sensitive then I say there are worse things than that. Like maybe not feeling at all. I know my employers seemed unaffected and discussed it with dispassion to the point of insensitivity.

I think I'll stay as I am.

Lavern08
04-19-2013, 11:45 PM
... Some say I'm too sensitive - I think I'll stay as I am.

Don't go changing, I lurve you just the way you are. :Hug2:

Cassiopeia
04-20-2013, 07:47 AM
Don't go changing, I lurve you just the way you are. :Hug2:

Right back atcha! :hug2: