Question for the published

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterWannaBe

Registered
Reaction score
I finished a contemp., which is currently being professionally edited. Whenever I read the guidelines for a contemp., the publishing houses seem to imply that contemps. should be like "Bridget Jones." My contemp. is darker, with abuse issues, but it also has lighthearted moments and, of course, a budding love relationship between two tortured people. The hero is by far more tortured than the female and she heals first, but every time she reaches him, he pulls away. There's a lot more to it, but I just wondered if I can break the "Bridget Jones" mold and still get published in contemp. There is a definite HEA and I plan a sequel as the hero has a younger brother who turned into an interesting character. I'd call the sexual content a PG-13 to R rating. Am i doomed because I didn't follow the contemp. formula where the female is obsessed about her weight, her hair color, and her high powered career? In the story, the woman has just escaped from an abusive husband and hasn't had time to get her career together yet, although she plans on going back to college.

Seems that the publishing houses are very formulated. Right or wrong?

Thanks, thanks, thanks, etc. to anybody who bothers to answer. I'm just learning the business side of writing.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on how you're trying to market it. Women's fic in general? Most Bridget Jones stuff is chick-lit. As far as I know, there's still a big audience for regular women's lit/literary fic.

WriterWannaBe

Registered
Reaction score
It's a regular romance, very into the h/h and their winding road to HEA. Does this work?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Not all romances are Bridget Jonesy. In fact, those are called Chick Lit, and they often don't have the traditional romance HEA.

I think you're safe based on the info you've given us. You're not writing Chick Lit. You're writing a romance.

There are plenty of "heavy" (tone and plot wise) romances out there these days.

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.