PDA

View Full Version : The Mists of Avalon

SpiritualFiction
04-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Has anyone ever seen this movie? It's a made for TV picture (very unfortunately) but for such, it was quite well made I think. It stars Angelica Houston and Julianna Margulies, and centers around the Arthurian Legend of Camelot, but from "women's perspectives" which I think was a brilliant idea. It's based upon the book of the same name by Marion Zimmer Bradley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Zimmer_Bradley) and involves conflicts of different kinds, especially the legendary 'Avalon' fading into myth due to war, and the aggressive spreading of the Christian religion. In my opinion, this story should have been (and still should be) made into a theatrically suitable film for lovers of old tales and mythologies.

Leah J. Utas
04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I recall seeing this several years ago. Maybe the late nineties? It was in two parts with part one being quite good and part two dropping off considerably. At least that's what my memory tells me.
Whole sections were left out such as (character name escapes me) time with the Fae.
That said, I agree about a movie. It would take a two or three part movie to do this story justice.

regdog
04-14-2013, 10:56 PM
I saw it and have it on DVD. It is good but with limitations. I would rather see a mini series on one of the cable channels, HBO Showtime etc to do the book and series justice.

CrastersBabies
04-14-2013, 11:06 PM
For me, it was flawed, cheesey, super-sucky, but also fun in a very weird way. It was a guilty pleasure but little more. I liked the story/character ideas, though. A lot.

DancingMaenid
04-15-2013, 04:43 AM
I remember it, and remember liking it, but I was pretty young then. 12, maybe?

I'm pretty sure the miniseries was based on Marion Zimmer Bradley's novel with the same name. I haven't read it (though I've thought of doing so), but if you really like the miniseries, it's probably worth looking into.

SpiritualFiction
04-15-2013, 06:10 PM
I agree with Leah. It should be made into a theatrically-released trilogy. No HBO mini-series....straight up Hollywood.