San Francisco - Days before the great quake.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
I've seen this clip before, but this is a nice restored version of it. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to take a trip down Market Street in San Francisco, just days before the Great Quake of 1906 - Take a look at this film.

Anyone interested in that era - here is a chance to see street life in a thriving metropolis of that time. Notice the mix of cable cars, electric trolleys, automobiles, and horse and buggy. Notice the kids running back and forth, catching rides on passing vehicles. There doesn't seem to be any 'rules of the road' enforced at all. People, vehicles and horses move at will in any direction, crossing directly in the path of the Cable Car.

Nice look at fashions of the day as well.

http://youtu.be/Uz4AmeSApBE

For a great article on how they were able to correct the date on this film, and nail it down to days before the Great Quake - read this.

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2010/04/30/market-street-on-film-1906/

It's a mesmerizing piece of film. As close as you're going to get, to hopping a time machine.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. There isn't much of a plot, but I didn't watch the whole thing.

There appear to have been well defined rules that eveyrone followed, but it was obvious, because the traffic was all going at a walking pace, so there was planty of time to get out of the way without hurrying.

ECathers

Amuck! Amuck! Amuck!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionrhod.com
TY much!

My great grandmother was a spiritualist medium and a few months or so before the big quake began telling her husband that they needed to get the hell out of Dodge (or CA as it were).

With that as a family story, always wondered how it all went down.

They landed in SI NY just as the quake started happening.