PDA

View Full Version : What's your hobby?

Indianasmith
04-14-2013, 09:27 AM
(This seemed like the best forum for this topic, but if it would fit better somewhere else, mods please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot!)

I'm still trying to get to know folks, and find my way here. I always find it interesting to know what people do outside the main focus of whatever forum it is I am on.

I love collecting Indian arrowheads and other artifacts, and have done so since I was a child. I have a relic room with over 100 frames of arrowheads and spearpoints on the walls, and go to artifact shows pretty frequently.

I also have a lifelong love of B-grade horror films, and get a lot of enjoyment out of those.

I practiced karate for over 20 years and got a third degree black belt, but have been out of it for about five years now.

So what about you guys? What hobbies do you enjoy?

clee984
04-14-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm a bit of a history buff (reading biographies, visiting places of interest etc), and I have a thing about watching films of old boxing matches (which is weird, because I hate violence). I like to kid myself that I'm a cigar connosseur too, but actually, I think the occasional cigar is just because I miss smoking cigarettes.

I learn languages too, I taught myself French, and have got myself to basic level in German.

Bushrat
04-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Stained glass, sewing moccassins, making tinctures and salves with wild medicinal plants ... and outdoorsy stuff like kayaking, hiking and camping. Spending time with my dogs.

ap123
04-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Reefkeeping

Pyekett
04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
I handcarve netsuke from scraps of hardwood.

Hmmm. I like minimalist camping, cooking over an open fire, and--though this rarely comes in handy--can sight-type over eighty species of North American wild violets, thanks to a stint in wildlife research.

When I cannot stand the world anymore, I watch Fellini and drink scotch. And hey ho, write whodunits. :)

I love collecting Indian arrowheads and other artifacts, and have done so since I was a child. I have a relic room with over 100 frames of arrowheads and spearpoints on the walls, and go to artifact shows pretty frequently.

Have you ever done any flintknapping yourself? I've always wanted to learn.

Pyekett
04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
too, I taught myself French, and have got myself to basic level in German.

I've tried to learn languages on my own but have not made anything stick. Any good tips or references?

... making tinctures and salves with wild medicinal plants ...

Also wanted to do this, and also would appreciate any good reference sources. Are you following a text, or winging it, or in apprenticeship?

Reefkeeping

Intrigued. There are so many ways to interpret that. Tongue in cheek, wildlife activism, conservation, etc.

Bushrat
04-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Also wanted to do this, and also would appreciate any good reference sources. Are you following a text, or winging it, or in apprenticeship?

Very easy to learn. The best two books for the northern plants are, IMO:
Discovering wild plants by Janice Schofield
The boreal herbal by Beverly Gray (this has a lot more recipies and more detailed instructions)

Pyekett
04-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Great, thanks. I have a set of Foxfire but get sidetracked every time I try to use them for something specific. For selecting and preparing plants I'm actually going to expose my body to, I want specific. Real specific.

Added: Sigh. And I promised myself that anytime I mentioned Foxfire, I'd mention this (http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/13/us/foxfire-book-teacher-admits-child-molestation.html):

Eliot Wigginton, the Georgia school teacher whose students produced "The Foxfire Book," an acclaimed series of journals about their surroundings and local culture, surrendered to the authorities today, one day after pleading guilty to child molestation.

Even Fellini, my escape, had Satyricon. I would really like for people to leave children out of the realm of adult sexuality. [This sounds less angry than I feel. I cannot derail that far, though.]

And now returning you to your regularly scheduled thread.

ap123
04-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Intrigued. There are so many ways to interpret that. Tongue in cheek, wildlife activism, conservation, etc.

:D I keep a nano-sized coral reef tank. Started with a larger system, about 65gallons, downsized to 8.8 gallons now. Smaller is much more difficult to keep stable. Corals, fish, inverts, it's my own little slice of the ocean.

Bushrat
04-15-2013, 03:19 AM
:D I keep a nano-sized coral reef tank. Started with a larger system, about 65gallons, downsized to 8.8 gallons now. Smaller is much more difficult to keep stable. Corals, fish, inverts, it's my own little slice of the ocean.

Wow, that's really cool! What kind of fish do you keep in there?

@ Pyekett - Oh, man ... I know the Foxfire Series. This makes me wish for medieval methods of punishment, as usual when I hear stuff like that.

sunandshadow
04-15-2013, 03:52 AM
I have too many hobbies, sigh. Aside from reading and writing, I play videogames and am involved in indie video game development. I draw (on paper and with a vector art program on the computer), paint (usually acrylic on canvasboard), do origami, and several other art forms (soapstone carving is often the one people find most interesting). I occasionally watch animation or read graphic novels when I can find something interesting. I garden (not very successfully - this past two weeks I've been cursing about mold on the seedlings I was trying to start indoors). I cook about once a week, and try to do a new recipe every month or two. I'm strictly forbidden from collecting pottery, plushies, glass bottles, horse models, or anything else that takes up space and gets dusty; otherwise I'd probably do that. >.> I do seem to be accumulating a collection of tarot and oracle decks, mainly because I'd like to create one; those aren't against my housemate's rules because they fit compactly on a shelf.

shakeysix
04-15-2013, 04:00 AM
I'm something of a Native American nut. I am interested in all things Cheyenne or Kiowa. No blood ties but a piece of ground we own was a bone of contention between the tribes long before white folks came along. My great grandfather had a cigar box of arrowheads that he found as a boy.

He had some pretty nice fossils too. That hooked me. The arrowheads are gone now but I still like to fossil hunt. I'm not very good at identifying stuff. If something is really interesting I drive it up to the Sternberg Museum in Hays and have the professionals look it over.

If I'm not fossil hunting you can bump into me over at the gardeners of AW site--s6

ap123
04-15-2013, 05:00 AM
Wow, that's really cool! What kind of fish do you keep in there?

At the moment I've only got one fish, a pink streaked wrasse. Excellent for keeping the population of nuisance mini starfish down. Also sexy shrimp, a pom pom crab, and a variety of corals :)

Shakey I've been lurking on the gardener's thread. My daughter and I have been trying to venture into container gardening on our teeny terrace. :)

shakeysix
04-15-2013, 05:17 AM
I had a goldfish. My g-daughter won him at the fair this summer. We named him "July" -- a family custom to name goldfish in the month they were acquired. I really got attached to his smiling face at the breakfast table every morning, but then he went to that giant goldfish pond in the sky last month. Now I am tempted to buy a few more and an aquarium--nothing too complicated. --s6

Indianasmith
04-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Shakey - the river that I collect artifacts in during the rainy season is full of Cretaceous fossils as well as arrowheads. I have actually excavated six partial mosasaur skeletons and one complete, perfect skull!
Incidentally, if you would ever like to acquire some arrowheads, shoot me a PM. I don't sell personal finds, but I do buy out collections for resale. (and yes, contrary to what some people say, it IS legal!)

AP, reefkeeping sounds neat! A friend of mine is getting into it right now!

ap123
04-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Fish are pretty awesome. They have personalities, many are pretty smart, and they (should) live a long time. Clownfish are like puppies, seriously. I've never been a freshwater gal, but I have reefing friends who also keep cichlid tanks, and others who keep freshwater planted.

Indiana, you're friend will love it, a crazily obsessive and rewarding hobby.

:D

Collecting fossils is so cool, I've never known anyone who's done it.

Indianasmith
04-15-2013, 07:49 AM
AP - they are everywhere, you just have to look!

ap123
04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
AP - they are everywhere, you just have to look!

I live in Manhattan, no digging allowed in Central Park :ROFL:

janelle
04-16-2013, 07:04 AM
I like painting canvases (words/inspirational quotes... not painting. I'm not talented that way).

UndergoingMitosis
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
I crochet. I've been doing a lot of blankets lately--I'm snuggling with one right now :) Sometimes I knit, but I find it a whole lot more tedious than crochet.

I also write. And read. And watch tons of HGTV.

I swear, I'm not 90.

Helix
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Birdwatching --- although I'm not all that good at it!

sunandshadow
04-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Birdwatching --- although I'm not all that good at it!
Have you done the thing where you install a birdbath, hang a hummingbird feeder, hang a suet cone and/or a sunflower seed bell, and plant some zinnias or thistles? Those are the main things people do to attract birds around here. I never had goldfinches until I planted zinnias. I've still never had hummingbirds but the two people I know who maintain feeders see them regularly. The birdbath attracted grackles (blackbirds) which are otherwise very shy. It also attracted a crow though, lol.

Helix
04-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Have you done the thing where you install a birdbath, hang a hummingbird feeder, hang a suet cone and/or a sunflower seed bell, and plant some zinnias or thistles? Those are the main things people do to attract birds around here. I never had goldfinches until I planted zinnias. I've still never had hummingbirds but the two people I know who maintain feeders see them regularly. The birdbath attracted grackles (blackbirds) which are otherwise very shy. It also attracted a crow though, lol.

I have a few bowls of different depths for birdbaths, which attract a range of local species.

I'm living on a property of about a hectare, which has lots of native trees (planted), so I get nectar feeders and insect eaters, plus the usual generalists. Before this place, I was living on a similar-sized block in the middle of a rainforest. Now, that was pretty interesting!

(I'm in NE Australia.)

John Olexa
04-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Weightlifting. I use to compete in powerlifting. There is no money involved just trophys, so I called it a hobby. Now I just workout to try and stay in shape. But I must say,by not competing any longer, motivation is hard to come by. LOL

sunandshadow
04-17-2013, 02:14 AM
I have a few bowls of different depths for birdbaths, which attract a range of local species.

I'm living on a property of about a hectare, which has lots of native trees (planted), so I get nectar feeders and insect eaters, plus the usual generalists. Before this place, I was living on a similar-sized block in the middle of a rainforest. Now, that was pretty interesting!

(I'm in NE Australia.)
Oh Australia, I guess you'd have a totally different selection of birds there! Lol, silly me. But wow, living in a rainforest must indeed have been interesting! Trees that work for nectar-feeders are interesting too, I can't think of any local trees that make flowers of that type. My neighborhood is mostly grass, fields of weeds, pine trees, and deciduous trees like oak and maple. So by default we get a lot of lawn-pickers that eat worms, insects, and seeds, and a few that are specialized to eating nuts. Starlings, robins, mockingbirds, bluejays, grackles, sparrows, and an assortment of small finches including goldfinches. Also hawks, crows, mallard ducks, Canada geese, and the ubiquitous urban pigeon. The more rare sightings are lake/river birds like herons and gulls (though they are not rare at all if I actually go to lake Erie), a few types of woodpecker, hummingbirds as I mentioned, red-winged blackbirds, and I once saw an oriole.

One of the reasons I'm interested in birds is that my city, Pittsburgh, is the location of the US's national aviary, and I usually go there once a year to see all the cool birds. :)

Helix
04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
That's a good selection you listed! The common ones in this garden are rainbow lorikeets, sulphur-crested cockatoos, brush turkeys, scrubfowl, bush stone-curlews, honeyeaters of all sorts, silvereyes, red-backed fairywrens, red-browed finches, a few types of doves, willy wagtails, currawongs, butcherbirds, drongos and, of course, kookaburras.

A completely different group of birds lived in the rainforest. I won't list them all because I might end up taking over the thread!

One of the reasons I'm interested in birds is that my city, Pittsburgh, is the location of the US's national aviary, and I usually go there once a year to see all the cool birds. :)

That sounds great. I think that the Pittsburgh collection would have some of the above species on display.

Cougar
05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
I have several hobbies and I sometimes really think it is impossible to do them all justice due to limited time ;)

My three main hobbies are definitely books, football and traveling. I am currently huge into Murakami, great writer whom I highly recommend. My football team is Arsenal London, and some of my favorite travel destinations include Greece, Portugal and Italy. My last travel to Lisbon was especially great since I was given the trip as a present and it included airport transfer with the BlackLane Limousine service (http://www.blacklane.com/en) in London. I never traveled that comfortable!

Then there is drawing and the occassional painting, video games, doing sports, watching films, my dog (though he doesn't really count as a hobby I guess), playing chess and collecting historical miniatures.

Of course I also like to go out and meet friends and also to just go out and talk a walk but I guess that's quite basic ;)

shakeysix
05-27-2013, 05:18 PM
First day of summer vacation! Everything is a hobby for me! Even making my bed! --s6

zfk55
06-05-2013, 03:58 AM
Easier to explain my hobby with photos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/studio11.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zfk3155/media/studio11.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/DrumIsolationRoom.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zfk3155/media/DrumIsolationRoom.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/MainRoom1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zfk3155/media/MainRoom1.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/MainRoom2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zfk3155/media/MainRoom2.jpg.html)

A.R. Starr
06-05-2013, 04:21 AM
Sewing and cloth doll making are my hobbies. Lately I've been doing a lot of sewing of baby things, since I have a newborn cousin and I've been making things for him.

GingerSnap
06-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Sometimes I like to pretend I'm an artist. I know the basics, and when I get in the mood I can draw for hours. Occasionally I'll even try a 3D project. It's a relief after sitting in front of a computer screen for days. ;)

I like learning the Japanese language and culture, too, if that counts.

Teinz
06-05-2013, 06:00 PM
I read and write a lot, ofcourse. I love to swim laps and I do a bit of fitness. I play the drums, a bit of guitar and I sing when I think no one will hear me. I like playing games, from Dragon Age to Gears of War. Oh and don't forget my gardening. I love being in the garden.

Teinz
06-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Ooh, you and I would probably get along just fine....

Slicklines
06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Astronomy. Have a tiny mountain house at 10,200 feet (not far from South Park of cartoon fame) so the seeing is excellent. Also travel, hiking, skiing, and birding. So yeah. Sort of a geek-hippy.

zfk55
06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Ooh, you and I would probably get along just fine....

We have something else in common. One of my European distributors for Swiss Products is in the Netherlands.
I talk to him on Skype every other day.

April Days
06-05-2013, 09:05 PM

Songwriting, but I only own one guitar (alas!) I also enjoy putting pictures to my band's music, which would normally be called music videos if the pictures were actually moving, but I don't have any equipment, so I guess you'd call them slideshows.

zfk55
06-06-2013, 01:51 AM
One guitar is all you need, April. All of those instruments except two guitars and three banjos belong to my son. All the bass guitars belong to my daughter. They both grew up in the recording studio here in Lost Prairie.

My guitars are a matching pair of fiddleback Curly Maple original Guild guitars. One a 6 string and one a 12 string. The other 3 are banjos. When I was younger I had a bluegrass band named Sandy Bottom. That's more than 45 years ago now but I still play bluegrass guitar and banjo, or at least as much as arthritis allows.

P

RoseSnow
07-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I like to paint, draw, and I make candles when the mood strikes.
http://www.wicks-wax-scents.com/snowmen-grubby-2.jpg

Oreo1909
07-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Fixed gear bikes, gardening, raising chickens, certified PADI scuba diver since 12 years old, can single hand most sailboats up to forty feet.

msforster
08-07-2013, 03:19 AM

My husband would approve. Or try to move in. :D

My hobbies used to just be books, Internet, movies/TV shows and writing. But I decided this year that I needed something else to decompress with. So I started doing origami again--purely as a hobby--and that led me to quilling, which I LOVE. It uses a completely different part of my brain than the rest of my life.

Jehhillenberg
08-07-2013, 04:10 AM
My hobbies: photography, singing, dancing, film, and TV! :)

TheaFair
08-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Well, I'm a year round haunter. Which means I look at things and think, "Hm, that would look really awesome at Halloween if I just modify it a little." Of course "a little" is very, very subjective in this case. I play video games while waiting for things to dry, and lose entire hours of my life on Youtube looking up how-to videos.

sunandshadow
08-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Songwriting
Do you write the lyrics, the music, or both? Personally I'd love to be a lyricist, but I'm pretty much musically impaired (it's a learning disability kind of thing) so composition isn't ever going to be something I could do very well. I haven't had any luck making friends with a band where someone can compose but no one likes making up lyrics. Probably composition is the more rare of the two skills.

Lorna Peel
08-10-2013, 09:54 PM
My hobbies are gardening, genealogy, and keeping chickens. :)

williemeikle
08-10-2013, 11:21 PM
I've been playing guitar badly since 1973.

kkbe
08-10-2013, 11:43 PM
I draw. I love detective work, finding out stuff about stuff. I love antiquing. Road trips rock.

Chase
08-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Oh, so many. . . . Besides watching Jehhillenberg's avatars, I compete in the way-past-70 class of several shooting events: Action steel silhouettes, cowboy competition, silueta metalica, muzzle-loaders at rendezvous.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9730/2yx1.png

bearilou
08-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Hmmm...well, writing is what I want to do for a living so I can't list that as a hobby. Reading? I do read. Sometimes for leisure, sometimes for specific reasons related to writing.

Crochet! I love to crochet and have a stash of yarn that is getting out of control. I also love big action movies. The bigger, flashier, more kaboom-y, the better. And foreign flicks. I love those.

Video games. Huge time sink for sure and I probably shouldn't devote as much time to them as I do....

leela_e
08-14-2013, 10:22 PM
I have a lot of hobbies to share, but writing and reading top my list. I find solace writing in a quiet place, embrace with soft music. Hmm, reading anything under the sun keeps me alive as well. Don't get me wrong, but I love children's stories till now - I'm a mum.;)

skydragon
08-15-2013, 03:40 AM
Apart from writing, I enjoy reading (of course), playing video games, listening to music, photography, make-up and nail art, film, and Japanese culture.

Orianna2000
09-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Minor Hobbies: Figure skating and bead-weaving.
Major Hobbies: Sewing and drawing.

For awhile, I really got into figure skating. It's great exercise! But then I developed tendonitis in one of my ankles and had to stop. Hopefully, I'll be able to resume that soon. Another hobby I explored is bead-weaving. I wanted to make a necklace to match one of my Victorian gowns, so I bought a pattern and some beads and went to town. I enjoy the process, but haven't had much time for it lately.

Sewing used to be a hobby for me, but now I'm a private sewing instructor, so I guess I've gone pro. I've made several historical costumes (18th century and 1870s), but lately I've been focusing more on doll costuming. Even that won't be a hobby for long, as I'm planning to have a book on the subject published.

When I'm not sewing or writing, I'm drawing. I really enjoy drawing pencil sketches, scanning them, and then coloring them digitally. In this way, I create detailed fashion sketches for the historical costumes or doll clothes that I sew. It's a fun adjunct to my other hobbies, tying everything together.

SunshineonMe
11-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Whoa figure skating? I have to follow figure skating? That's so cool!
Ok, my hobbies are painting with water colors. I love the freedom of how the colors flow. I also like to crochet amigurumi animals, and read! Oh, and quilt, but I am a fast quilter and a rule breaker of all quilting rules, lol!

AgentCooper
11-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Beer snobbery, music and attempting to play music, card tricks, camping, the storytelling aspect of professional wrestling combat, video games, film, visual art, theatre, reading (I feel like we probably all have this one in common), and attempting to combine science/mathematics with art are some major hobbies of mine.

I also really want to learn folk arts, particularly those which involve performance. Learning to hambone and spoken storytelling are on my bucket list of things to master.

Midorikatt
12-10-2013, 06:06 AM
I love to read (duh), and I spend so much time and money on my pets that I'm sure it qualifies as a hobby. I also love to sew, and I even have an Etsy shop to sell my little felt creations.

I used to be really into videogames, but adulthood takes away so much free time that I had to mostly drop them. :cry:

I also like to crochet amigurumi animals

That's so cool! I'm always impressed at how many cute things can be done with amigurumi.

Little Anonymous Me
12-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Knitting, baking, finding random history facts, teaching myself code, and relearning the English grammar system (seriously). :)

I'd like to start teaching myself Italian, but methinks I should finish with German first. ;)

Melanii
12-10-2013, 07:24 AM
I like gaming. I'm mostly playing an MMORPG with the boyfriend, though I'm also trying to beat some others. :P

I got back into reading (thanks to George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series), and I also draw - primarily characters from my novel ideas.

Sometimes I watch anime with my bf, though I'm not always interested. I used to watch TV a lot, but I really haven't recently.

I'm also into socializing, though my online presence is bigger than real life since I cannot drive nor do I work. :(

NateSean
03-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Ghost hunting. It's definitely not the cheapest hobby and there are rules and etiquettes to follow, but it has it's rewards. Sometimes the experience alone is worth the effort.

Kivari
03-19-2014, 04:24 AM
Knitting, crotchet (badly. My cousin swears its easier than knitting, but not to me), reading, online mmorpg (Everquest 1&2, Rift), and what used to be a hobby but is now a sort of side business: soap making. Specifically handcrafted soap (not the melt and pour stuff. Mine is from scratch cold process method), sugar scrubs, bath salts, bath bombs, etc. If anyone is interested my FB page is www.facebook.com/newmoonsoapcompany . Also love watching Glee, Bones, and Marvels Agents of Shield (which is odd because I never really got into any of the super hero stuff)

Raeannon
05-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Currently jewellery making (bead, wirework)

Fingers
05-22-2014, 03:50 AM
Fishing, fly fishing, fly tieing, collecting things made in occupied japan. I used to be very much into radio communications for 30 years or so, but pretty much gave that up when I got a computer.

harmonyisarine
05-31-2014, 03:25 AM
I sew, bake, cook, and dance classical ballet (used to be pre-professional, but for the last ten or so years it's just been studios off and on and around the house). I also hunt and do yardwork and cure meats. I cure them, my dad smokes them, and in the end we have the best bacons and hams.

RamblingRector
06-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Well apart from enjoying our garden (the roses are out in England, now) I have to confess to spending too much time simulating flight in the Big Boeings (777s, 747s, and if it's a small airport a 737). Authentic real-world procedures are used (actual airport layouts, real-time real-world weather injected via the internet, Air Traffic Control, etc etc — boys' toys stuff), and the aircraft simulation is certified by Boeing. :2angel:

Or, some might say, it's just plain geeky (my wife has other, rather quainter, expressions for it, though). This small and therefore fuzzy pic may give you some idea of the scale of her problem:

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/brian737747/BriansPitNov2013_512x270_zps5504f107.jpg

On the positive side, if for any legitimate reason anyone needs to know anything about airliner cockpit procedure and can't find a RW pilot to ask, I may be able to help. :)

Incidentally, having three screens is a big bonus when it comes to writing, too — I heartily recommend it. You can never get too much onscreen real estate.

Cheers,

Brian

noraline
06-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Classical singing! I took lessons up until I graduated high school :D

Dallionz
08-16-2014, 06:29 AM
My main hobbies are photography and crochet.

I also love reading, archery and going camping.

GailD
08-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Sewing, knitting, beading and, most recently, teaching myself the art of patchwork quilt making.

I could live on this forum. :)

reiver33
08-23-2014, 03:10 AM
I'm an amateur historian with particular interest in the psychology of decision making, and wargamer.

Dennis E. Taylor
08-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Snowboarding in winter. In summer, thinking about snowboarding. :D

Also got my writing (that's new), hanging around this forum, and I'm an admin on another forum.

Occasionally, I go to work.

NicaCurt
09-12-2014, 12:25 AM
Photography, design, art, and gaming (when I can).

sreeves2
09-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Reading, writing, playing games :P

Shadow_Ferret
10-02-2014, 03:42 AM
I have ADHD, so my hobbies are changeable and rotational. I get this overwhelming interest in something, immerse myself in learning everything about it, start collecting items, then just as suddenly, I've got a new overwhelming interest and it starts all over again. Sometimes I come back to an interest, sometimes it just gets left in my wake of discovery.

In high school, I was huge into tropical fish. I used to put models together. I've got a large vinyl collection. I've collected beer memorabilia. Beer steins. Comic books. I have three guitars and used to know how to play them. I collect old time radio shows. I collect swords (although its very expensive). I collect fountain pens (and those are just as expensive). I collect vintage toys (from my childhood). I'm sure I have more, but I can't recall at the moment.

Ladyxkaa
10-27-2014, 06:21 AM
I have ADHD, so my hobbies are changeable and rotational. I get this overwhelming interest in something, immerse myself in learning everything about it, start collecting items, then just as suddenly, I've got a new overwhelming interest and it starts all over again. Sometimes I come back to an interest, sometimes it just gets left in my wake of discovery.

In high school, I was huge into tropical fish. I used to put models together. I've got a large vinyl collection. I've collected beer memorabilia. Beer steins. Comic books. I have three guitars and used to know how to play them. I collect old time radio shows. I collect swords (although its very expensive). I collect fountain pens (and those are just as expensive). I collect vintage toys (from my childhood). I'm sure I have more, but I can't recall at the moment.

wow o.o that's a lot. for the longest time my hobbies were just drawing and writing, but now I do puzzles, paint or draw by numbers and I crochet. I've done these things before, but i lost interest until about three months ago. I also play this game called resident evil 5 and try to get all the collectable items in it, get all the weapons ready for infinite ammo, try and get as low a completion record as I can and get all the costumes for the two characters. I also play two pokemon games, trying to fill out the pokedex as much as I can. on one of them I'm having a LOT of trouble beating the elite four champion so I can't access some of the areas in the country it's set in. I also LOVE to stargaze and look for a specific constellation. once in a while I take my camera around my immediate neighborhood and take photos of this, that and the other. sometimes I take it when mom or dad take me places and get photos of my little city and put them up on my deviantart.com account.

roseangel
11-30-2014, 04:49 AM
I can crotchet, knit, sew, bake, cook, write, make games. . . . yea, I collect hobbies.
Currently I am making kanzashi hair barrettes.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/Jessa_Cox/IMG_20141110_214441_zps967c70c2.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=904586709554165&l=09c2ceb0d9
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=904586709554165&l=09c2ceb0d9

Alessandra Kelley
11-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Roseangel, in your post I'm getting a photobucket link that's so long it's squeezed the rest of the page small and to the left, and two broken images.

Could you maybe fix them please?

Alessandra Kelley
11-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Anyhow, my hobbies are roleplaying games, designing and sewing clothes, and assembling and painting figures for the roleplaying games. At least for the moment.

roseangel
11-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Ok, it should be smaller now.
Also, sewing little felt dolls and the like.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/Jessa_Cox/IMG_20141103_171917_zpsb9256ce3.jpg

indwig
11-30-2014, 07:05 PM
I collect pieces of paper. :e2paperba

At one point it was Parisian train tickets until I realized just how bloody pointless that was and threw them all away. Nowadays it's fashion magazines, particularly beauty advertisements. They're all tucked lovingly away into plastic display books that'll break your back when you try to pick them all up at once. :rolleyes:

Snowstorm
11-30-2014, 08:00 PM
I may be like Shadow Ferret! Right now I'm into learning the bodhrán (celtic drum) while staring at my guitar and banjo being ignored in the corner, tatting, trying to write novel #3, snowshoeing, and of course, READING!

Lilly
11-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Crocheting, knitting, baking.
In summer, I collect colourful lumps of old glass from a river. Nowadays, there's just forest around, but one, two hundred years ago there was a whole village with glass foundries and even a school which now serves as our holiday home. Some day I'll use all those chunks of glass for something beautiful (still waiting for the perfect idea to appear).

Lilly

ULTRAGOTHA
11-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Knitting and medieval crafts.

Amy_D
12-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Gardening. And since it's December it doesn't look like I'm going to be doing much of it this month.

unionrdr
12-03-2014, 02:17 AM
I also brew craft beer from here & around the world. At present, I have a Bavarian hefeweizen & a German Dampfbier bottled up. The Ingredients for an English ESB is waiting in the wings. I've gotten good enough at brewing & helping others that homebrewtalk is doing an interview with me. I have a book on my journey through homebrewing on Kindle as well.

Locke
12-03-2014, 02:43 AM
I used to play the trumpet quite a bit, but I haven't touched it too long that my trumpet is less silver and more orange. I really should give it a salt bath sometime soon (douse in very hot water with table salt, baking powder, and aluminum foil and the chemical reaction draws the sulfur off of the silver in a few minutes wherever it's in close proximity to the aluminum). I also have a guitar that's needed a new set of strings for about a year now. Music was my first love of the arts.

But I'm fond of photography and will occasionally dabble in programming as well. I also easily get caught up in your basic arts and crafts: first beading, then paracord. I also like to participate in live-action role playing, which usually earns me a few odd looks when I admit to it.

WaywardSquirrel
12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm all about making things, but my main outlet anymore is costuming. Waaaay back in the day I used to do reenactment, and then the live-action roleplay, but nowadays I just go to cons (and Halloween, of course). Every year I try to add a new skill or technique; I've done wig styling, sculpted with Wonderflex, made steampunk-flavored props. This year's slate includes beadwork, embroidery, jewelry- and mask-making.

I also spin yarn, knit and crochet (less well than I knit). Been wanting to learn nalbinding, but there's always other projects getting in the way.

greendragon
02-09-2015, 10:21 PM
I saw some beaders! Beadworkers unite!!!

I have several muses that jostle each other to try to get my attention. I work full time as an accountant, so writing is among my hobbies. As well as reading, photography, beadweaving, digital painting and LARPing.

I do make money at some of those - writing, photography, beadweaving and digital painting. I do an art show circuit (about 10-15 shows a year) and make more than enough to afford to go to Europe every couple years. That allows me to take more photos to sell :)

Beadwork: http://www.greendragonartist.com/Galleries/Small%20Images/Jewelry/Wolf2.jpg
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/white-tiger-christy-nicholas.jpg

ash.y
03-11-2015, 06:20 AM
Primarily: sewing clothes and gardening (specifically, native plants/ecological gardening).

Sometimes: gaming and singing in choral groups.

Dabbling: photography, photo editing, cooking

This thread proves that writers are a diverse, fascinating bunch!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-12-2015, 02:59 AM
Folks, please be conscious of the size of your images! Folks on dial-up and folks trying to access using mobile devices are getting locked up when they happen upon these big, giant - albeit beautiful - images.

This helpful FAQ will be your guide... (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258870)

Pagey's_Girl
07-13-2015, 10:15 PM
I sew, make jewelry, make cloth dolls and last year I discovered Asian ball-jointed dolls, like the one in my avatar. They're really amazing. You can customize everything - hair, eyes, how their faces are painted, even modify them with different parts (like wings and hooves for a centaur or faun, for example) - pretty much how and when you want. They come in all sizes, from about 2" tall to close to four feet and everything in between. The only drawback is that they're not cheap, but the smaller ones can be reasonably affordable, and a lot of places do layaway, which is great.

Thanks to doll collecting, I started learning about photography - and got back into writing again doing photostories (sort of like comic strips) on my doll blog.

Here's an outfit I made for one of my dolls - this one is about 6" tall as well. The bodice of the overdress is my own design, the skirt and underskirt are from a pattern, and the sleeves are separate. It's a (very!) simplified version of a Highlander dress circa 1750 or so. I was going for effect rather than historical accuracy on such a small doll.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7668/16925207779_795d60031a_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rMC7Be)Fiona's Highlands Dress (https://flic.kr/p/rMC7Be) , on Flickr

Phantom Rottweiler
10-24-2015, 04:20 PM
This is going to sound like a strange combination, but my two hobbies are model trains, and cross stitch. Oddly enough, I've found that cross stitch has helped me in writing, by letting me clear my mind of frivolous thoughts so I can free-think about the story I'm working on.

pine-delice
02-20-2016, 08:42 PM
I've had so many hobbies over the years. The main thing I've done for a long time is collect (or more accurately, accumulate) pottery and porcelain. Mostly British early 19th century but I'm quite eclectic. Plus I seem to gather all sorts of other antique and vintage bits and pieces. I love (really love!) going to car boot sales. And I fairly recently discovered dolls houses. You wouldn't believe how much space it takes up to keep all the stuff you need to make tiny things.

Orianna2000
02-20-2016, 11:57 PM
And I fairly recently discovered dolls houses. You wouldn't believe how much space it takes up to keep all the stuff you need to make tiny things.
Oh, I believe you! I mainly sew doll clothes, so I have a lot of specialized tools and supplies--fabrics that are extra lightweight with tiny prints, miniature scissors, a tiny iron, etc. It takes up just as much room as sewing for a full-sized person. Maybe more, because I have a lot of dolls that I use as models, and I keep them in the sewing room.

With the dollhouses, do you make the furniture and everything, too? My grandparents were really into making dollhouses. They made several large, fully functional houses--complete with electrical wiring, so there were working lights in every room! When I was somewhere around 15, they bought me a kit to make a small dollhouse. After I assembled it, I carefully painted it, and added wallpaper and carpet to decorate the rooms. I didn't make any furniture, but still, it was a lot of fun! But I didn't have room to keep it, so I sold it at a garage sale for a lot less than it was worth. After my grandmother died, I inherited a kit for a much larger dollhouse, but I don't have the space to build it. Last time, I just put up a folding table in a corner of my bedroom and put the dollhouse together there. Now, however, I'm married, and we just don't have the space for that sort of thing. It's too bad, because I know I would really enjoy building it.

Tim Archer
02-21-2016, 03:52 AM
I was a traditional Irish dancer for years. Fortunately I never had to wear the wigs or the poodle socks or any of that rubbish (male privilege, hurrah!)

So if any of you are writing a novel taking place in the world of Irish dance, let me know, and I will give you all the information you need. Come to think of it, I've never read a fiction book taking place in the cutthroat, brutal world of Irish dance. I suppose it could work as a middle grade/YA friendship story. Or a mystery involving the murder of an up and coming world champion. It's not a genre I write in, but it's one I and a lot of people with my background would read if it existed.

WriterDude
04-24-2016, 01:07 PM
I like trains. There. I said it.

I have a collection of model trains in the attic waiting for the space to enjoy them and then the boys can have them when they're a little older.

We also visit the steam railways and museums. I love the smell of burning coal and grease and oil, and it fits in with my fascination with Victorian culture and industry.

Craft stuff, beside writing, I enjoy modelling dioramas in card and clay, but I'm not very good at it. Need more space really to enjoy these things.

Roxxsmom
04-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Dog agility is the only thing I spend much time doing aside from writing these days. I currently compete with my kelpie, Wiley, and am just starting training with my young border collie/Australian cattle dog mix.

dinky_dau
10-31-2016, 10:56 PM
The dog-eat-dog urban jungle where I reside doesn't allow the pursuit of many hobbies. I've basically shed all my long-ago hobbies simply due to the demands of city living. It's an hour commute via train to my workplace; and an hour to return each evening.

After my shift--and grabbing some nutrition--then naturally one has to put in an hour of fitness just to stay in shape. By then it's around 9pm. What kind of hobby can generate interest at 9pm on a weeknight? Not very many. Usually just crack open a book to keep up with my reading goals.

Therefore creative writing is really the best hobby and that's why it's my #1 past-time. I can do it anywhere; it costs nothing, and it is very restful. And it's a hobby which could conceivably generate supplemental income. Win/win.

Other hobbies usually mean going outside (bad weather?); going some place & returning (no time?) or hassling with crowds of other urbanites who have the same hobby (stress level?) or paying some fee to someone.

And then something else: as the www has taken over life, most people have become zombie-dronez who really don't even look up from their palm-devices anymore. So even if you have a hobby, it is invisible unless you somehow reproduce it & repackage it on the net. People get their life from Youtube, Netflix, and similar portals. If they encounter anything standing right before them, they don't see it, question it, or understand it. Much less can they converse with you about what you're doing. So, why bother? Why bother with any hobby which contributes to society-- when no one is even raising their head? Why draw, sculpt, paint, craft, or compete? I think all that has vanished. We're in a dystopia where people gaze at glass screens all day, like goldfish.

Sorry, just the way I feel about it right this moment.

sockycat
11-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Collecting succulents. Recently I've gotten into outdoor gardening now that I have my own place.

And drawing. I looove to draw. I have dozens of sketchbooks and I usually have one on me, whether it's my big one or my little one that I can throw in my purse. It calms me down and lets me sit outside of my brain for awhile. I tend to have less anxiety attacks and less anxiety as a whole if I've been good about setting aside time to draw. Weirdly enough it seems to help me learn, too. I've gotten in the habit of filling up sketchbooks in lecture halls because it helps me tune in better.

dinky_dau
11-09-2016, 09:19 PM
On a more positive note than my previous post, I have been pleased to see that several female friends of mine are avid crafters. They are crafty girls! I should've mentioned this earlier.

Yes indeed--even in the big city, crafts like wool-spinning, knitting, macrame, and beading are going ..well, if not exactly 'going strong' they are at least still 'in evidence'. I've got a fabulous scarf hand-knitted for me by an ex-GF. It's the best scarf I've ever owned.

Another one of these modern dames is a fanatic for scrap-booking; which I very much admire as a part of her character. More people should scrapbook than currently do. It's so much more interesting (personality-wise) than just being obsessed with hair and nails, handbags, & shoes. I mean, if you are raising a child, why wouldn't you scrapbook for that child? Why let the silly pace of stupid digital life these days, prevent you from being creative and meaningful?

One of my other confidants (the 'beader') was recently excited when I informed her of the new trend in survival gear which revolves around military paracord. Paracord is a wonder-material which is crucial in any bug-out bag; and preparedness-minded people have taken to wearing it around their wrists in bracelets etc. Stylish, intricately-woven accoutrements similar to the 'shark bracelet' trend which emerged after Spielberg's 'Jaws'. When in trouble though, you unwrap this accessory and it equates to twenty feet of fearsome paracord; strong enough to saw through wood or plastic or even metal.

Oh well. It's great to see these gals keeping such traditions going. I can also tell you that the fabric stores in my town are always filled with women ....what they are doing with their fabric purchases, I'm sure I don't know--probably making drapes or something? At least it's something. I went in there to nab some back-drop material for a photo shoot and the place was mobbed.

Myrealana
11-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Besides writing?

I decorate cakes. Mostly fondant work. I've been doing it for about a year and a half.

I'm also taking up real baking, inspired by the Great British Bakeoff. I'm learning to make pastry, breads, tarts, and all the various fillings and incidentals that go with them.

dinky_dau
11-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Baking! The world's oldest profession...! ;)

Latina Bunny
12-19-2016, 08:03 AM
Besides writing?

I decorate cakes. Mostly fondant work. I've been doing it for about a year and a half.

I'm also taking up real baking, inspired by the Great British Bakeoff. I'm learning to make pastry, breads, tarts, and all the various fillings and incidentals that go with them.

I'm starting to get into cake decorating lately, too! :)

That's cool that you will learn how to make bread and tarts, etc. (Oh, my dad and sister love watching those baking completion shows, including that British Bakeoff one.)

I've done mostly fondant modeling stuff this year, but I have been experimenting with other mediums such as Rice Krispie Treats (sculpted and covered with fondant) and gumpaste right now.

I hope to take some classes to learn some more buttercream piping and royal icing techniques, etc. Mmmm, buttercream! ^_^

rhondawrites
12-30-2016, 05:41 AM
Lately I've been knitting and crocheting. It helps clear my head and let the storyline ideas flow.

Dennis E. Taylor
12-30-2016, 05:49 AM
Snowboarding. And this year, we have actual snow! Writing's gonna suffer.

ttwrite
12-30-2016, 09:16 AM
My primary non-writing hobby is bicycling. Especially as I get older, I'm just trying to stay physical. Also, the time on the bike is a great time to think and sort ideas out.

Here's an outfit I made for one of my dolls

Wow, that's really nice work! Great photo of it as well! :) Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

-tt

dianeP
05-30-2017, 06:29 AM
Hiking has always been a big part of my life, and then a bit of kayaking. I occasionally play guitar and last year I began painting on glass and found the process soothing and pleasant.

KellyAssauer
06-19-2017, 02:51 AM
After a year of searching, today I finally own a Singer Cabinet model 42. Sure it needs a little work and I'm ready to do it, but the hard part will be when it's finished. Do I leave the original model 15 in it? or transplant my 500a? or the Necchi 525? or by then... will I have found even something better?

*sigh*

And lately, I've been walking way more than riding my bike. I found I get more a better cardio this way.

Morri
06-20-2017, 06:46 PM
I recently picked up figure skating! I haven't quite hit the two month mark yet so I'm still getting used to being on the ice, but I was surprised by how much I like it. And it's great exercise!

RaiscaraAvalon
06-20-2017, 09:26 PM
I have loads of hobbies, from knitting to painting simple wooden structures to pretty much anything I can turn my hand too. With money being tight I haven't been able to try my hand at many of my hobbies, other than gardening and writing/reading. Need more money and more time in a day to get to whatever turns my head at any given moment lol.