PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't you filed your tax return yet?

Haggis
04-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Here's my excuses:

1. I'ma owe waaaaaaay too much this year. I see no need to reach for my wallet any sooner than I have to.

2. The Masters is on TV. I can't do taxes while the Masters is on.

3. I just moved. I can't find my w-whatzis form.

4. Why pay taxes when Kim Jung-un is just gonna bomb us anyhow?

So, what are your excuses?

Williebee
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Tax what?

mirandashell
04-13-2013, 11:59 PM
I was really shocked to find out that my American boss has to fill in an American tax form. Can't understand why she has to pay tax in America when she isn't getting any of the benefit from it.....

Haggis
04-14-2013, 12:08 AM
I was really shocked to find out that my American boss has to fill in an American tax form. Can't understand why she has to pay tax in America when she isn't getting any of the benefit from it.....
Some Americans who are still living and working in America feel the same way. :)

Parametric
04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
I only sent in my UK tax return for 2011-2012 a few months ago. :tongue

shakeysix
04-14-2013, 12:29 AM
A Kitchen Sink!

God's truth: My sister and brother and I own a good sized house and many acres of farm ground--some farmed, some in CRP and some in pasturage. Each requiring different tax formulas. My father died leaving it all to us. My sister lived out of state at the time. My brother said he would manage the tenant farmer, the taxes, leases and insurance for $ 1200 a year. I hate paperwork so I had no problem with this arrangement. I still think this is low pay for a tedious job--but I digress.

Fast forward 6 years. The economy in Houston went sour. My sister came to live in our house--no problem there. This winter she wanted to buy a new faucet to replace one that was in the house when Mom and dad moved in, in 1978! My brother begrudgingly gave her permission to delve into the family vault--the farm account-- to buy a faucet. Sister went "bonkers" and bought a top of the line faucet, and a sink, too! And then she did the unthinkable--she paid a plumber to put it in! My brother had been bitching about the leaky faucet and sink for years and was going to do the job himself, some Saturday--in 2007, 2008, 2009, 20010, 20011. He is not only a procrastinator but so tight he could squeeze a nickel until Jefferson shat himself--(My late husband's observation.)

Now the farm account could support a week of plumbers and new fixtures for the whole house but my b. had a fit. Sister teaches Behavioral Disorders students --Big, big high school kids with all kinds of scarey quirks. Some wear orange jumpsuits. She doesn't back down from anyone. She called him out on his "luxury" income for managing the paperwork.

So he quit. He did give me some kind of paper jumble on Wednesday. My tax guy was full of questions when I spoke to him on Friday. He lives an hour away and has been doing my taxes for years but even he has to admit we are skinning it this time! I think we decided to go for an extension while I try to get the facts, rehire my brother and hopefully mend our once happy family. The new sink is very nice, though.

My sister is 61. My brother is 60!--s6

Kitty Pryde
04-14-2013, 12:29 AM
I waited until like...Thursday night to mail mine in, thinking I was going owe a crazy amount of money. Turns out I am getting an $800 refund.

Voyager
04-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Cuz I can't figure out the answer to #5. What'd everyone else get?

amergina
04-14-2013, 12:33 AM
I just did mine today. I always say I'm going to do it in Feb and end up doing it the day of or right before.

Reasons why I put it off?

1) Don't wanna.
2) I Should Be Writing.
3) Don't wanna.
4) I need to water the orchids.
5) REALLY Don't wanna.
6) Haven't bought TurboTax yet.
7) Eh.
8) I have another week.
9) I have another couple days.
10) I can do it...oh. Nope, I can't do it tomorrow. Crap.

rugcat
04-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Because the FedGov has no right to my money, and legally you don't have to pay.

I know this is true because Wesley Snipes told me so, and he's Blade, after all.

Chasing the Horizon
04-14-2013, 12:47 AM
I have the best excuse of all: my income was under the limit to file in 2012, so I don't have to do it at all. :D

My mom waited until the last possible moment to send hers too, because she owed $30.00 and didn't want to pay it. She actually did the math in February, then stuck it all in an envelope and waited for the deadline when she realized she owed money instead of getting a refund, lol.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-14-2013, 01:21 AM
.... My sister is 61. My brother is 60!--s6

Just wait'll he's 80.

As for filing mine... mailed 'em yesterday. Did y'all know royalties aren't taxed the same as self-employed income? I didn't! But YAY!

I still had to pay, though, so screw 'em. They'll only use it for crap I don't approve of anyway.

Vito
04-14-2013, 01:34 AM
I e-filed my return in February, and already received my modest meager pittance of a refund.

I donated every penny of the refund to Vito's Pizza & Beer Foundation, a small local charity that's been keeping me happy and fulfilled since 1978.

;)

Cliff Face
04-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Mwuhahahhaa, if I ever have to do taxes (not every year, for instance this past 12 months I haven't worked and have only been a student) I can just get my mum to do it. She's an accountant.

(You all hate me now, don't you? :tongue)

The Australian tax year ends June 30th though, so it's not even tax season here yet.

Last time I had to file taxes, I got a very nice refund. Hooray!

Brightdreamer
04-14-2013, 02:07 AM
I have the best excuse of all: my income was under the limit to file in 2012, so I don't have to do it at all. :D

Technically, I'm under the limit for mandatory filing. I still file every year, though. For the refund. (E-filed back in February; aside from buying new shoes, most of it's still sitting in the bank. I have two elderly cats, though, both on meds and special diets, so I expect it won't be there by the end of the year...)

rhymegirl
04-14-2013, 03:14 AM
My husband, the procrastinator, did our taxes this past Thursday. So it's all done!

He was cursing quite a bit while working on them. The smart thing to do is flee the premises when it's tax time!

BenPanced
04-14-2013, 03:34 AM
I waiting for April 15th when the local news stations park outside the post office for the annual broadcast of losers poor unfortunate souls who file at the last second so I can get my mug on TV.*

*I actually filed back in March.

MaryMumsy
04-14-2013, 04:30 AM
Because I'm busy doing other people's taxes. I hope to get to ours (and my Dad's and MIL) tomorrow. I still have a couple of client ones I have to finish and around a dozen for extension. One guy just brought me his crap yesterday (Friday).

MM

G. Applejack
04-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Because my W2's are waaaaaaaaaay over in the other room.

M R Mortimer
04-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Last year my then employer stuffed up badly and as a result I owed $2500. Fortunately I am a lazy bastard and had to put in four years worth of tax returns. The refunds on those overdue ones covered the debt and I still got a little cheque!

But as was already pointed out, the tax time in Australia is not yet here.

Liralen
04-14-2013, 05:13 AM
My long time CPA friend just mailed mine to me to send in :)

Guess I should get them out, look at them, sign them and send them Monday.

MacAllister
04-14-2013, 05:17 AM
LALALALALALALA I AM NOT THINKING ABOUT TAXES LALALALALALALA!!!!!

::fingers plugged tightly into ears::

Cliff Face
04-14-2013, 05:22 AM
Mac, just write off each individual member of AW as a dependent. You'll get mega tax breaks. :)

Don't worry, I'll play along... "Mac! Mac! I need new shoes!"

There, your arse is covered.

MacAllister
04-14-2013, 08:35 AM
If Don doesn't wanna pay taxes for headstart and medicare and libraries and bridges and fire departments, then I shouldn't have to cheerfully pay taxes to help fund sending drones to bomb the crap outta Pakistani villages, right?

And certainly AW shouldn't be stuck paying MORE FRIGGIN' TAXES than General Electric paid, like we did last year, right?

Liralen
04-14-2013, 09:19 AM
What Mac said.

MacAllister
04-14-2013, 09:39 AM
What Mac said.

It seriously makes me so mad for about two weeks that I worry about stroking out. I'm a fragile old lady, y'know.

Liralen
04-14-2013, 10:00 AM
I stay pissed over subsidizing Big Oil, Big Pharma, corporate "farms," paying lobbyists salaries in the backdoor via corporate subsidies and tax breaks, incentives to move jobs overseas . . . . not to mention junkets, ever spiraling salaries for congresscritters and other vermin . . .

Haggis
04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
All four pages of the 1913 1040 form (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/1913.pdf) (from Fark.com).

Note the tax rates. :D

Myrealana
04-14-2013, 10:57 PM
I haven't filed my state return yet because we owe about $400 and I make it a policy never to file early if I have to pay.

The federal, however, I filed in January. Had to get the paperwork in for The Boy's FASFA.

Cella
04-15-2013, 06:01 AM
So, what are your excuses?
taxes hurt my feelings.

Some Americans who are still living and working in America feel the same way. :):roll:

Plot Device
04-15-2013, 06:46 AM
I had my tax forms all in a stack on a TV tray next to my bed back in January. I had the next three days off from work during which time I wanted to do my taxes and tidy up all my other papers. That was January.

Then my roommate and I had a huge blowup that very night and she demanded I move out. (She was kinda drunk.)

Next morning she apologized and said she'd help me find a new place. (She's a realtor.) She took me to breakfast and then we went apartment hunting.

I found a place a week later, folded up that TV tray, tossed all the documents into a paper bag, and moved.

Then a few days later I lost my night job (still had my day job). That night job was 75% of my income. Falling back on the day job was hard. It was even harder to fork over First/Last/&Security, all while simultaneously paying February rent at both apartments.

Went through all the just-moved-to-a-new-place gyrations.

And NOW the tax forms are coming out tonight to get looked at ... I think ... (they're somewhere around here ... I think ....)

Maybe I shouldn't have gone to that sugar house today with my former roommate and had the pancake brunch with her. (But today was the LAST day of maple sugar season this year, so we HAD to go!)

regdog
04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Here in MA we get an extra day to file because we make up are own holidays http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/party-109.gif

Robbert
04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Being registered with the German authorities, let me tell you this:

* as of 2013, € 8.300 ($ 10.000) per annum per individual is exempt from tax

* add € 3.000 per child (up to age 23 if in initial training)

* unlike former times, filling in one's tax return is no longer compulsory

I know this must fly in the face of all those Americans who happen to live and work abroad (sorry!).

shakeysix
04-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Got a new Pen Pal--the State of Kansas Dept. of Revenue. My tax guy did file on time and the State did overestimate my quarterly tax --which I figured was an overpay last year! They owe me money but I won't get it until I pay a fine of $ 34.99 for not paying my overpayment early. At least that's what I think they are saying. The tax guy wants to see the letter. If you ask me they should hire me to clear up their obtuse and obfuscating writing style. I'll only charge them $ 34.99!

Haggis
04-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Got a new Pen Pal--the State of Kansas Dept. of Revenue. My tax guy did file on time and the State did overestimate my quarterly tax --which I figured was an overpay last year! They owe me money but I won't get it until I pay a fine of $ 34.99 for not paying my overpayment early. At least that's what I think they are saying. The tax guy wants to see the letter. If you ask me they should hire me to clear up their obtuse and obfuscating writing style. I'll only charge them $ 34.99!
Plus tax, I hope. :D

Snowstorm
04-25-2013, 08:36 PM

*groan* I swear gubbermint is getting stupider all the time.

I have an accountant since I have a business. There's no way I'm wading into that mess with the little knowledge, less tolerance, and NO patience for delving into that mess. The IRS is just too spooky for me to tangle with, and my smart accountant is my champion!

*lifts a glass of whisky to all accountants (especially our own MaryMumsy)*

Lavern08
04-25-2013, 09:23 PM

Here, here (but make mine raspberry lemonade) ;)

Shadow_Ferret
04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
I did my taxes last month and already spent most of my refund on a couple nice anniversary gifts, a few nice dinners, a couple of rescue cats, a ton of new books, a veterinary visit for my two dogs, and put the rest in the savings.

Haggis
04-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Wait. What? Cats? :e2teeth:

MaryMumsy
04-25-2013, 11:53 PM

Thanks, Snowstorm. Make it Jack/rocks, in a big glass. Even though I have been doing this for 40 years, it just gets worse and worse. And the problem is not the IRS. They don't make tax law, they only enforce it. Blame your congress critters and senators. None of whom do their own taxes or have any understanding of how the system works.

MM
and my own is on extension

KTC
04-26-2013, 04:37 AM
Please shut up. I feel sick about it. This is year 4!!!

Haggis
04-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Please shut up. I feel sick about it. This is year 4!!!
I thought it was 2013.

BardSkye
04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
The deadline here in the Great White North is the end of April rather than the middle. I went down to sign things at my accountant's today. She wasn't able to perform her usual miracles this year, so I gotta give the revenoors two grand.

TitaniumDerivative
05-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Got bigger priorities to handle first. Doing my taxes is close to being in the bottom 10%

Haggis
05-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Got bigger priorities to handle first. Doing my taxes is close to being in the bottom 10%
I'm with ya, but typically IRS doesn't share those feelings. Unless, of course, you have a refund coming, in which case they don't much care if you file or not.

Fran
05-05-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm in the UK, and thank whatever any of you hold holy for PAYE. I spent ages today trying to work out 9% of 160, WITH a calculator. If I had to do my own taxes I'd end up in jail.