Has anyone ever recited a love poem to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Me: not yet, but still hopeful, fingers and toes crossed. I hope it's by John Donne, or Sade, and I hope it's raunchy!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I love when this happens. :)

A few times, they were the reciter's originals. Once, it was Lord Byron...

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I've been the reciter, never the recitee.

Same here (though my wife has gotten me quite a few poetic and romantic cards in the past).

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Lord Byron recited a poem to you? HOw cool is that?
Cha! In my dreams. Rephrasing: Once, someone recited a Byron poem to me.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!

My husband and I have to each other, both with those written by others and with original poems.

Although my favorite thing he ever did was compose and write a poem to me on our refrigerator while I was asleep, so I'd find it in the morning. He even put the time he wrote it--so that I knew he was thinking wonderful thoughts about me, even at 2:13 in the morning.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a couple. One was really good, the other, horrible. But how do you tell your girlfriend that her poetry's extra lame? Que sera...

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Jcomp said:
I've had a couple. One was really good, the other, horrible. But how do you tell your girlfriend that her poetry's extra lame? Que sera...

You could dump her...and when she asks why, you could tell her then.....

:)

Edit: I'm not saying you SHOULD dump her - but if you ever do, THEN might be the appropriate time...

...or if she dumps you...then would be the perfect time.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep working on those love poems, Brady.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes :)

The first year hubby and I were together, my birthday rolled around and we were broke as a joke. He sat at work that day and wrote me a poem. He has written me several since then. Better than anything money can buy, in my opinion.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
BradyH1861 said:
I recited a poem to my wife once:

Roses are red
Violets are corny
When I look at you
I get horny

She didn't think it was funny.

Ya gotta work it, Brady. Hubby has always said, "It's not what you say...it's how you say it." I'd be willing to bet that if you were holding her hands behind her back and you nuzzled her neck whle whispering that to her...well...it may have turned out altogether different! You'd not believe the things hubby has gotten away with saying to me...it's all in the delivery!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jcomp said:
Why tell her? She's not asking for a critique... she's issuing a call to action!

So... Act!*

(Note: the act may or may not include immediate Two-Backed-Beast making. It may involve buying flowers or cooking dinner... then the lovin' up.)

*: Do NOT laugh about it to your mates later. It WILL get back to her if you do. She will NOT forgive you. She WILL be quite happy to dump you, for one of the guys who was laughing along with you. Not that I would, er, know....

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah! I forgot to say that I've written several poems for people. Some were read aloud, others just given in a note/letter. They were well received... er - I think.

Jcomp - could you be one of my exs? teehee...

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Carole said:
Ya gotta work it, Brady. Hubby has always said, "It's not what you say...it's how you say it." I'd be willing to bet that if you were holding her hands behind her back and you nuzzled her neck whle whispering that to her...well...it may have turned out altogether different! You'd not believe the things hubby has gotten away with saying to me...it's all in the delivery!

Thanks for the tip.;)

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
For our fifth anniversary, my husband made me a sculpture box with an image on the outside and a poem on the inside. It was something he wrote himself, and he's not "a writer." Of course, I wept when he read it. And, yes, I still have it.

That was the "wood" anniversary, hence the box.

For my own gift, I preferred the loose interpretation of "wood" and made my gift of paper. It was a paper dress made from shopping bags. That sounds very Carol Burnett, but it was a fitted pattern, and quite fetching. The dress was painted with the number 5 all over. Y'all can guess why it was a gift.

And, yes, we were broke that year. I think our gift limit was "free."

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
I have had a song written for me once, original music and all. It was sweet to have him sing it to me. For some reason it didn't matter that he couldn't sing. ;)

Usually I am the one who writes the poem. I suck at the oral presentation, so instead I deliver them with finesse. The last time was for my ex. I printed up the poem, rolled around a rose and tied off with a ribbon. I left it on his porch in the early morning next to his paper. I was a little concerned that it was over the top romantic for a guy. Turns out he it was the only thing he valued out of the relationship.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband has never recited a poem to me but he used to change the lyrics from songs and sing that to me.

One was from Deep Purple's "Woman From Tokyo." Only he sang: "My Woman in Paw-tuck-et. She's so good to me." Does that count?

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I don't remember the whole thing but it started like "you have the right to remain silent..."

Status
Not open for further replies.