PDA

View Full Version : wow, not a big fanbase for this genre

SpiritualFiction
04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm not surprised actually. But, I don't even know if "pagan" is the right label to describe my work. The novel I'm working on is based upon spirituality as a whole, with pagan elements being part of the overarching content.

I catagorize it as "occult/supernatural fiction", with the sub-genre being I guess folklore and suspense. I suppose I joined this forum in hopes to find others into these subject matters, but I knew it wouldn't be an easy search. If anyone comes across this post who happens to be interested in the genres I mentioned, please get in touch!

ThatSillyBear
04-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I've spent a decent share of time studying religions in and out of college. It's one of those things that just pulls me toward it. So of course elements appear in my writing from the ideas that I like.

The story I'm working on right now, well, I have a hard time labeling it besides calling it Fiction. It has supernatural elements in it, a healthy helping of symbolism, and a share of other relatively small things that I'm tying together. All in all, I think its good (as would any author on their own work?). It's just a matter of getting it all put on paper at this point and ironing out some details along the way.

Now moving on to some of my other story ideas. The next story that I'm hoping to tell moves to a more "occult/supernatural" direction. I actually put it on ice to practice my writing a little more (and do it justice) and start a short story (about to evolve into a out right novel). I'm totally game for talking about this stuff with you.

Rhoda Nightingale
04-13-2013, 02:43 AM
It's not that there's no fanbase. But I reckon most of the "occult/supernatural" stuff gets rerouted into SFF or Horror. The forums are much more active, anyway.

SpiritualFiction
04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
It's not that there's no fanbase. But I reckon most of the "occult/supernatural" stuff gets rerouted into SFF or Horror. The forums are much more active, anyway.

Ok thanks Rhoda, I'll certainly keep that in mind. Your avatar picture, by the way, is quite alarming! And reminds me of a particular scene in my story. :-O

ThatSillyBear, I joined this forum in hopes to find people LIKE YOU (and US, muahaha!! hehe) I will *definitely* be waiting for your critique/assesment on the excerpts I post up, and will gladly do the same for you if you're so inclined!

Maythe
04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Some of my work has a pagan element but I don't think of it as Pagan as a category. My last short story involved Muninn (one of Odin's ravens) and the story I'm writing at the moment has an animist element with horror-ish bits.

Chasing the Horizon
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
I catagorize it as "occult/supernatural fiction", with the sub-genre being I guess folklore and suspense. I suppose I joined this forum in hopes to find others into these subject matters, but I knew it wouldn't be an easy search.
That's because you're looking in the wrong sub-forum. Supernatural fiction is a sub-genre of fantasy. This sub-forum is mostly for discussing various types of paganism and pagan-oriented non-fiction.

I am pagan, and have studied world religions pretty extensively, but my writing falls solidly under fantasy.

Foinah
04-15-2013, 08:16 AM
That's because you're looking in the wrong sub-forum. Supernatural fiction is a sub-genre of fantasy. This sub-forum is mostly for discussing various types of paganism and pagan-oriented non-fiction.

I am pagan, and have studied world religions pretty extensively, but my writing falls solidly under fantasy.

It's for pagan fiction as well ;)

sunandshadow
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Slightly unrelated question, would you all consider oracle deck design (including writing the book explaining the deck) to be pagan non-fiction? I don't consider it pagan myself, since I am an atheist, and some such decks are christian, though some are certainly pagan. That's the only reason I haven't posted about my oracle deck project on AW before, I couldn't figure out anywhere it was really on topic.

Chasing the Horizon
04-15-2013, 12:11 PM
It's for pagan fiction as well ;)
What would that be, exactly? I've read lots of books that used pagan beliefs and had lots of pagan characters, but every single one was fantasy.

Cathy C
04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
The genre you're looking for, SpiritualWriter, is "Magical Realism". It's the introduction of magic, whether Wiccan, Vodoun, etc., into otherwise contemporary stories. Some of the well known novels are The Alchemist, Like Water For Chocolate and others (http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/143.Favorite_Magical_Realist_Novels)

There's lots of readers for the genre. :)

SpiritualFiction
04-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Thank you Cathy! I'm very excited about this. And I'll definitely be looking for your input too (if you will have some time). And you too Maythe. Well, and anyone who considers themselves 'spiritual'.

Edit: I just checked out the link you listed, and wow, I didn't know Latin America was so into this genre. Seriously though, I think it's important for people who are into a good novel and who are also very spiritual.

Rhoda Nightingale
04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Slightly unrelated question, would you all consider oracle deck design (including writing the book explaining the deck) to be pagan non-fiction? I don't consider it pagan myself, since I am an atheist, and some such decks are christian, though some are certainly pagan. That's the only reason I haven't posted about my oracle deck project on AW before, I couldn't figure out anywhere it was really on topic.

Maybe... Would it fall under Art/Design as well? I guess it depends on whether you're approaching the design of the deck from a cultural POV or a purely aesthetic one.

@SpiritualFiction, re: my avatar: That's Patrick Bateman, of American Psycho.

Oh, and I meant to bring up Magical Realism as well, so thanks, Cathy. :)

SpiritualFiction
04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Patrick Bateman played that creepy character? Man it's been so long since I watched that movie. Forever I thought it was Christian Bale who did that part (he might as well of, he has the personality for it lol).

Another book of this genre of Magical Realism (I guess) I'm surprised I forgot to bring up is The Celestine Prophecy and its sequels.

Rhoda Nightingale
04-16-2013, 12:54 AM
...It is Christian Bale. The character he plays is Patrick Bateman.

sunandshadow
04-16-2013, 04:31 AM
Maybe... Would it fall under Art/Design as well? I guess it depends on whether you're approaching the design of the deck from a cultural POV or a purely aesthetic one.

Hmm, I've been considering it a philosophical perspective, or psychological, but cultural is more accurate than aesthetic. I've been working mainly on the card names, definitions, and what subsets they are divided into; I wanted to get all that nailed down before I switched to working on the art.

SpiritualFiction
04-16-2013, 08:26 PM
...It is Christian Bale. The character he plays is Patrick Bateman.

"Duh" (to me!)