Should I mention that I'm an indie bookseller in a bio?

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all :).

I'm gearing to begin my first-ever round of queries (squeeee!), and I'm wondering what the consensus is on mentioning my job in my bio. I work as a bookseller at the only independently owned bookstore in my hometown (best job ever!), like I said above.

But I'm waffling. On one hand being a bookseller makes me very "plugged in" to the publishing industry, and having access to lots of ARCs and other goodies definitely gives me a leg up as a writer. It also means I'm intimately familiar with the YA market, especially because I'm the only bookseller at the shop who reads a lot of YA (so I get all the ARCs *grubgrubgrub*).

Or should I stick with just the facts, ma'am, and skip the bio altogether?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a just the facts guy myself--they want to know you can WRITE a book, not that you luvs them, or read a lot of them, or know who's pubbing now. Those things can be nice, but they're looking for a book itself.

you-think-too-much

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.you-think-too-much.com
Good question. Does the book you're querying have anything to do with bookstores or books? Definitely yes, then. Otherwise, I'm not sure. It seems like that'd be useful to know. Have you ever tried #askagent on Twitter? This seems like a good question to ask there.

Good luck!

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, no, my manuscript doesn't have anything to do with bookstores. My rational in wanting to include my job was that I'd read on a few agent blogs they like to see that the people querying them are familiar with their market. I was hoping listing my job as a bookseller would imply that... But it doesn't have anything to do with the manuscript itself, no. That twitter thing was a great suggestion, though, thanks for that.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
If your book is about office politics in an independent bookstore, or some other aspect of the store, you would mention it. However, if your book has nothing to do with the bookstore, you might want to leave it out.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd throw in one well-wrought line about your bookstore job. Even though it doesn't relate directly to the MS, it strongly implies useful knowledge of the bookselling trade, not to mention connections to other booksellers -- and book buyers.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably just throw in a line or two at the end with the bio. Just don't... oversell it. ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, no, my manuscript doesn't have anything to do with bookstores. My rational in wanting to include my job was that I'd read on a few agent blogs they like to see that the people querying them are familiar with their market. I was hoping listing my job as a bookseller would imply that... But it doesn't have anything to do with the manuscript itself, no. That twitter thing was a great suggestion, though, thanks for that.
Oh, that's disappointing (that your MS has nothing to do with books or bookselling). While looking online for books for myself about 16 years ago, I found some online bookselling forums, and got involved in the business for a while. Perhaps I should do so again, I have way too many books.

I wonder what the query letter for John Dunning's "Booked To Die" looked like.

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the advice everyone! Bookselling is really one of the best jobs in the world. Getting to hang out not only with books, but book people all day long is great.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
ABSOLUTELY include it. I'd put something like, "I live in Seattle, and when I'm not writing, I'm working at ABC BOOKS, an indepdant book store, where I have to fight the urge to spend my entire pay check on YA novels." or whatever. Be cute and fun, but I would include it! Put the bio at the end.

Deleted member 42

Yes; mention it in a sentence pretty much like you did here, though use independent bookstore rather than indie

frankiebrown

Simplify.
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Oh, I'm so glad for the positive responses. Thank you Thank you :D