• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Novel fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
Ok I was wondering if anyone had any advice... I have a few ideas for novels, but there only a few events that do not at all make a full story... I can think of problems, but no resolutions I like or the stories I think have can be written in 10K without anymore... Sometimes I even think why write something thats already been written, which is redicilous becuase everythings been written... I am looking for advice on creating an outline... I can write, I'm good at that I just don't know where to begin with an outline... I want to be going somewhere with whatever I am writing...

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
My advice for an outline (used one once but not anymore so take this advice as you will) is:

Think a few major plot points you want to happen
Break them down into a few plot points for each of them
Repeat this process until you get it down to chapters or individual scenes.

if you want to do in-depth character planning too, I'd suggest those character planning sheets and even conduct an "interview" which each of your main characters to get to know them even better.

Hope this helps.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Make up a title and then start writing the story that goes with the title.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Find a novel similar to what you want to write and outline its plot to see how much there is. Now try to follow that template to make an outline for yours.

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Larry Brook's story structure series (www.storyfix.com). I couldn't have written my first book without it. He takes you step by step through planning all of the important plot points of your novel. I really recommend it!

BlackMirror

Writing. Writing. Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Brainstorm a lot on things that interest you, create a very loose plot with 3 stages, and then make an outline. It's my way of creating my novels. Then write the goal of the main character. Include conflict.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, Pushingfordream. Thanks for the advice, outlining/character sheets are something I've dabbled in but not seriously for my novels. Maybe they'll help.

Great article, cmtruesd! I'm loving it so far.

Elorenalory

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elenalinville.wordpress.com
When I start my outline, I usually start with determining where my story is going to start and how it's going to end. Then I try to work out what needs to happen to my characters to go from A to B. Just general guidelines, everything can (and usually does) change in the process of writing the first draft, even the ending.

I also try to work on the back stories of my MCs and the antagonist (very important to know that bugger's motivations well). Where did they come from? What do they want? What emotional baggage do they bring to the beginning of the story?

I also do a little bit of world building to see more or less the locations in which my characters will do their thing.

That's about where I stop. As far as outlines go, it's not very detailed, but knowing the ending keeps me motivated to write. Though I know that it's exactly the opposite for some writers.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Outline outline outline. Once that's finished, outline your outline.

I'm not one to take a toothbrush to the nooks and crannies of my plots, but laying out the major plot points and going-ons will give you a frame to hang your sausages from (I'm in my final year at culinary school, forgive the food metaphors).

Jumping into my NaNo with nothing written down showed me how important that is. Coming up with the next big happening isn't something you should trouble yourself with while getting words down, which is probably the most important part of writing after all. Get the big and the broad settled and let your characters figure out the small stuff.

Take what works, ignore the rest, and good luck :)

Serene09

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say, do a full outline. Break your story down into chapters. You don't have to stick to these chapters all throughout the writing process. Write what you want to happen in each chapter, what issues come up, what the characters learn etc.

Then write. This keeps you from staring at a blank screen forever.

Flight Heart

Filet O'Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get trapped thinking outlines have to be the Roman numeral kind. Sometimes it's as easy as writing down what happens, then one happens next, and what happens after that and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.