Be nice to me, I'm giving up smoking.......

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ok this is it. I have to do it this time, at least until pay day.... LOL!

I have finally been pushed too far and can no longer afford to smoke. I am now officially giving up smoking. I'm wearing my first nicotine patch and they don't half bloody itch! I'm trying to ignore it as that is keeping my mind off not smoking. Nearly.....

Oh well, it has to be done.

But some encouragement would be really nice? :eek:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YESSSSSS!

Go for it - You can do it!

Smoking doesn't have power over you ...

YOU have power over smoking! ;)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it!
:hooray:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:eek:

b.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
:banana:
space.gif
d.gif
a.gif
n.gif
c.gif
e.gif

n.gif
o.gif
w.gif
space.gif
w.gif
i.gif
t.gif
h.gif
space.gif
n.gif
u.gif
d.gif
i.gif
t.gif
y.gif

wide-eyed.gif
wide-eyed.gif
wide-eyed.gif
wide-eyed.gif
wide-eyed.gif
wide-eyed.gif
wide-eyed.gif
wide-eyed.gif

What?

It's an emergency.

:D

And just think how nice it will be to have the lights turned back on.

:Hug2:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
What are you going to spend all the money you save from not buying cigarettes on? Apart from nicotine patches, of course.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
What are you going to spend all the money you save from not buying cigarettes on? Apart from nicotine patches, of course.
Well.... I've got a couple of things to pay off first.

Then the plan is to save up enough to buy two tickets for a Bears game at Soldier Field. Plus flights and hotels obviously. I did want to do it this year but it looks like it will be next year now.

Balthynu

Registered
Reaction score
I wish you all the luck and perserverence in the world. I've been battling the buggers for few years now. It's a war of attrition. Getting the cigarettes out of your head is the hard part. I did the patches as well for a while. They do itch but after a few days you it really just becomes all about overcoming the headology of it all. If I did you can trust me.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ooh a new friend. Hello!

I know it's going to be tough cos I've tried before. I'm just hoping the patches will get me over the wild mood swings and the foul temper.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, bullshit. (Pardon my language.) Of course you can do it. Without the patch if need be. It's easier than dieting. Easier than giving up TV or pleasure reading. Easier than vigorous exercise daily.

I smoked for a whole lot of years, and I quit when a dear friend in my critique group died of an illness related to his smoking--for a lot fewer years. Were there times it was really hard? You betcha. Did I cheat? Not until I'd been clean for six months. Do I still cheat? Maybe once a year, if that. Have I relapsed and gone back to smoking? Not really. Did I gain weight? A little, but I can't really blame the non-smoking, since I viewed it as license to overindulge. Was it worth it? Oh, yeah, big-time.

My doctor said it was probably the best thing I could possibly do for my health, both long-term and immediate. Better than exercising, better than eating right, better than weight loss. Quality of life and length would both be positively impacted. He was right.

I have colds far less often. My sinuses may be permanently damaged, but I have fewer sinus infections. I never get a respiratory problem which involves a cough. I smell okay (I think!). Food tastes way better. I can exercise without huffing and puffing as much as I did a decade ago.

I found holding my breath when the craving got bad was helpful in waiting it out--and invisible to others until my face got red. Try it.

It helped to stay away from places where there's smoking whenever possible. The sight of people enjoying cigarettes, even the smell, is too tempting for the first several months. Not allowing anyone to smoke in your house is wise, including people who live there. I cannot buy cigarettes, ever, nor can I ask people I know to give me one, ever.

The only exception to that is if we learn the earth is going to be pulverized in a short time. I'm buying a carton of Marlboroughs and a good big supply of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, several cases of wine, and just waiting.

You can do this, and we can cackle together at the nursing home about it when we're in our upper 90s. Deal?

Maryn, clean except for her mind

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well.... I've got a couple of things to pay off first.

Then the plan is to save up enough to buy two tickets for a Bears game at Soldier Field. Plus flights and hotels obviously. I did want to do it this year but it looks like it will be next year now.

Nice one! :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it's the goal I'm aiming for. The thing I'll keep in mind when I really want a fag....

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few threads over in conquering challenges for support for smokers who are quitting, too. :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

Some of them aren't very current, but still full of good vibes and friendly support.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's the goal I'm aiming for. The thing I'll keep in mind when I really want a fag....

You don't really want a fag - you want to kick the nasty things out of your life. I know you can do this! :snoopy:< Miranda stamping on the fags!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! You can do it! You'll be so happy when you do! :)