Who here writes in other genres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Besides horror that is? I have a few horror WIP's and many, many more to pen but I also have a few sci-fi books and series. I have a sci-fi/religious type series that I am working on now and if I can write it how I envision it then it will be an great series and might end up pissing off some people. I have a childrens fantasy series that I started and then put on the back burner. I also have two mystery series I want to write for wife since she is a big fan of them.

So, does anybody else here hopscoth between genres, or do you mainly stay with horror and (to quote Mike) satisfy your inner chimp?

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried, Kevin. Techno-thrillers, a little fantasy, etc... Seems I always gravitate back to the supernatural/horror stuff. I'm anxious to know more about your "sci-fi/religious type series." Do tell.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Kevin

I have a horror/supernatural suspense story finished and being shopped. I have an historical coming out in July with a small royalty-paying press. A mystery/psychological suspense pair are also done and being shopped.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Novels (manuscripts), strictly horror so far.

Screenplays: horror, action, comedy, drama, crime, thriller...

Short stories: horror, 2 mainstreams, one dark comedy in progress.

As much as I'm into horror, and fancy myself as a horror writer, it appears my first instance of paid publication is going to be of one of my mainstream stories. fancy that...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Yarbrough said:
Besides horror that is? I have a few horror WIP's and many, many more to pen but I also have a few sci-fi books and series. I have a sci-fi/religious type series that I am working on now and if I can write it how I envision it then it will be an great series and might end up pissing off some people. I have a childrens fantasy series that I started and then put on the back burner. I also have two mystery series I want to write for wife since she is a big fan of them.

So, does anybody else here hopscoth between genres, or do you mainly stay with horror and (to quote Mike) satisfy your inner chimp?

I seem to write in every nearly genre there is. Westerns, mysteries, literary, horror, YA. Even romance once, though never again. I'm allso writing a novel best bescribed as magic realism. I haven't tackled SF or fantasy at novel length, but that's about it.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Even though I'm kind of new to the horror genre, I still write contemporary YA short stories. I've thought about trying other genres but I think I'm going to stick with these two for now.

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
LiamJackson said:
I'm anxious to know more about your "sci-fi/religious type series." Do tell.

I posted a chapter of it in the AW Idol last year and got an honorable mention. I also posted the first two chapters in the SYW section. The series is about God and all the angels and demons are actually a race of beings from a parallel Universe. The series is about armagedon and how the demons are trying to kill all of man and the angels. I put in flashbacks to show how the angels came to our universe, how they got involved with us and how everything in the bible is actually true, but with an alien twist. Think Noah and the flood. Think the Garden of Eden. Think Revelation.

It's a trilogy, but there could be 1 or 2 shoot off series from it as well.

I was looking for a co-writer for it but there wasn't any takers from AW. I had it posted in the "looking for co writers" forum. I did find a lady that I knew from another board that is well suited for the task.

Last edited:

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
I also have a western/fantasy series in the vein of King's Dark Tower and a sci-fi /fantasy series that is a cross between Tad William's "Otherland" and "The Wizard of Oz". I have dabbled in short humor stories, but never a full length book, don't know if I could pull it off. The only thing I don't think I could do is romance or erotica, all other genres are fair game to me.

I'm an eclectic reader so jumping around in different genres isn't a big stretch to me. My main love will always be horror/thriller though and my story idea file will show this. Out of the 80 or so I have to pen, about 60 are horror/thriller. And I keep coming up with more of them all the time. Just had an idea for a good end of the world zombie one the other day as well as a thriller about a crazy lady. If only I could write them as fast as I can make them up.

Last edited:

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly write horror/suspense and thrillers (non-horror). I'm attempting to branch out a bit with some creative non-fiction--family based events-- but it's a new take on writing for me.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
I write whatever feels right. Sometimes it ends up getting labeled horror - I have a story in the current issue of Black October - sometimes it's more SF biased, sometimes more mainstream. Writing to a fixed end product or genre is not something I'm interested in.

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
Mike Coombes said:
I write whatever feels right. Sometimes it ends up getting labeled horror - I have a story in the current issue of Black October - sometimes it's more SF biased, sometimes more mainstream. Writing to a fixed end product or genre is not something I'm interested in.

I feel the same way, but for some reason my stories usually turn out as horror or thriller.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to end up in the middle, somewhere between horror and mainstream. The supernatural seems to be a recurring element, though, even when not horrific.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I have a confession to make. I've been writing horror shorts and hiding them in my drawer.

Until I joined AW I only subbed a couple out a couple of times. ( Until I joined AW I hid the writing because of all the negative stuff I got from 'friends' and family. I've mentioned it on other threads.)

The general consensus in my 'meat-space' associations is that unless it is a political novel, text book or biography ( or children's book) it is crap.

I started out reading scary stuff. I still have my first 'Alfred Hitchcock' collection, ok. The I got sidetracked into Sword and Sorcery and Science fiction...but I've always been on the dark side of these genres. (Hide the writing hide the writing,must avoid ridicule and hide or evidence of creativity). So Although I've finished 2 Science Fiction novels and I'm trying to get representation on them, I've also been giving the light of day to the horror shorts. (Light of day..lucky for me they don't crumble to dust!.)

Anyway, you folks are forcing me to new levels of creativity, and that creativity involves -unpleasant thoughts-. And since the responses I get on the horror all rejection slips, but nice hand written rejections that ask me to send something different, or to try re-writing and re-submitting... anyway, I think it is time I admitted that I think rather like my avatar looks, and I should write more scary stuff.
I want to invent a new monster.

Thanks, Kevin, for starting this thread.

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
Thanks, Kevin, for starting this thread.

No problem, Jaycinth.

Creating a new monster is fun and I think you will like it. My monster is a shapshifter, can write in different genres but still is able to satisfy his inner chimp. I don't think my wife likes it very much, she never knows what she is going to be with.

Status
Not open for further replies.