• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Emotional blockages

Status
Not open for further replies.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I wont go into details as to why, but there is a hell of a lot going on in my life at the moment.

I was previously having the best run I've ever had with writing. I'd written nearly 40,000 words in less than a month andI knew exaclty where I was going with my piece.

Now after recieving not so fantastic news about my son, my writing has all but dwindled away. I'm still reading a lot, managing a 250-300pg novel every 24hours - on average.

I want to keep writing, but my brain is so full with everything thats going on that I just dont feel it.
I tried to sit down today and write, but all I could manage was half a sentance. I didnt even feel any kind of connection to my writing, which was concerning.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I want to get back to writing and re-connect, but dont know how.

Any suggestion and or advice would be much appreciated.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Let yourself off the hook. There are plenty of times when life is hard enough that you have every reason in the world to be not writing and it sounds like this is one of those times.

Some suggestions for things to you might like to do instead of stressing out over the WIP:
* outlining
* research (bonus if you can find books to read that are going to help with the WIP when things settle down and you go back to it)
* random snippets and bits of description
* keeping a diary of your writing-related thoughts
* edit something?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If your world has turned upside down (for good or not), then your conscious and unconsciouos minds have a whole ton of things to deal with and not much energy for the heavy-weight of creative process. Cut yourself some slack.

My experience is that forcing yourself to write during such times is a great way to build a series of dams in the process. Some writers don't have this problem, but I certainly do. It appears you might be the same.

So I don't write words, but I will take a couple of characters and just let them "free write" in my head, with dialogue or talking about their lives or whatever in those moments when I'd normally be thinking about the book. In time (whether a few hours, days, weeks), those "free write" sessions become real story-builders again and I'm back to writing at near full strength.

At least, that's what's worked for me. Good luck with your son, and your writing.

Moonpetal

metalsmith and shaman
Registered
Reaction score
I have experience with writing under an emotional and psychological breakdown. It helped to meditate before attempting to write. This helped clear the mind for writing. I also found writing by hand to be more successful during these times, though I have no idea why.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope everything works out, someway, somehow.

njmagas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
njmagas.wordpress.com
In my experience, it's no use trying to force yourself to write when you have external (or internal) stresses in your life. The more I've tried to push myself through those times, the more frustrated I've become with not being able to produce, or being unsatisfied with what I've produced. I just end up depressed with my work, in addition to whatever else is going on in my life at the moment. As everyone else suggests, take a break. Give your mind some time to work through what's going on in your life. Your story can and will wait.

Best wishes for you and your son.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. As much as it pains me, I feel that I have to take a step back from my writing to focus on my son.
I'm still going to keep reading, I'd go bonkers without my books and it's a good escape from everything thats going on.

I appreciate all hte support and well wishes.

robynmackenzie

Registered
Reaction score
Last year, I was in a very horrible emotional situation and ended up losing someone close to me. What I learned from that experience was to write what I could, when I could, to stop when I was exhausted, and to let myself write completely non-emotional, silly, fun stuff if I needed it. And reading, of course, as you mentioned.

It sounds like you're doing the best you can to take care of yourself and your son. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.