• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas Wanted, Sci-Fi Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
My novel could be described as a time-travel romance with a twist. Here's the blurb:

When Josie slips seven hundred years backwards in time, she believes it's God's will. Yet the longer she's in the twenty-first century, the more compromises she has to make, until she no longer recognizes the woman she's become. Triggering her metamorphosis is Aiden, a man whose flirtatious, cavalier ways teach her that there's more to life than her strict religious upbringing. As she falls for him, she must reconcile her past with her future—and navigate a world filled with aliens, prophetic dreams, time travel, and love.

This is my second novel and I've just finished (what I hope will be) the final round of revisions. An earlier draft was beta-read last year, but I've made significant changes since then and would like another set of eyes to look it over before I start querying. Basically, I'm looking for two or three beta-readers with experience, someone who can tell me if the plot works, if the characters are compelling--and if not, why.

I don't mind swapping, provided I like your genre and you don't have graphic violence/excessive profanity. Fair warning, though--I'm known for being a ruthless beta-reader. Not rude or harsh, just extremely thorough.

J.S. Clark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pen-of-jsclark.com
Hmm, I'd interested in this depending on how fast you need it and how in-depth. I'm in the midst of a YA critique, which should take me another couple weeks, but after that I'm mostly free.

I'd be interested in a swap because I have an epic sci-fi 120k (my thread is a couple below yours) which I'm only looking for a general impression (like: what/why? Dislike: what why? Were the characters compelling, sounds like what you're wanting). It's the first I've written with a more romantic interest. Probably wouldn't qualify as romance in anyone else's book, so I'd like a reader who could help me draw that out a little bit.

There's some violence and a minimum of profanity, but its story driven and not excessive.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
J.S. Clark: There's no rush to get started, but I would like regular updates once you begin. I don't need anything too in-depth, however I am looking for someone with a lot of experience, since this is (hopefully) the last stage before I start querying. I need to make sure every aspect works: plot, description, characterization, dialogue, POV--the works. I'm looking for comments on what works, as well as what doesn't work.

To be honest, I don't know how well I would do at a "general impression" beta-read, because I'm so nit-picky when it comes to writing. I tend to do a very thorough job, just because I can't shut my editor's brain off. Would you be okay with that? If you want, we can swap first chapters and see how we get along, before committing to doing each other's novels.

I would like several beta-readers, so if anyone else is interested, please don't hesitate to PM me!

Balthynu

Registered
Reaction score
Hi JS I'd be willing to help with a general beta no problem. If you let me know how indepth you required the feedback to be then I could let you know how long it would take me.

Status
Not open for further replies.