PDA

View Full Version : French police

MarkEsq
04-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Does anyone know if they use something equivalent to our "10" codes?

If you're wondering what I mean, cops use them over the radio.

EG: 10-4 (okay); 10-8 (I'm available); 10-55 (drunk suspect) etc.

I'd love to know if the Paris police use them, and what they might be if so. My internet searching turned up nothing...

Lady_of_Myth
04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think they do.

Most American police practices are not followed by French police. I'm certain that they use the NATO Phonetic Alphabet, you know like Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc.

Hendo
04-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Hmm I don't know about France but you won't go wrong with plain language. Granted I'm sure using ten codes will sound more professional to the reader. That's why they still get used in movies and TV.

Many police departments (in America at least) are trying to get away from using ten codes because they aren't universal. One town can have 10-55 mean an intoxicated party/individual (don't use drunk suspect in your writing btw) while in another department a few miles away it might mean that they're on their meal break and unavailable. Another example is if something major happens in one town and an officer calls in an uncommon code like 10-1234 officers in surrounding departments won't know that they should start heading in that direction if it's a code they're not familiar with. It's much easier to say that there is a "confirmed burglary" rather than a 10-whatever. Even if mutual aid isn't needed the surrounding towns at least know that there are burglars in the area.

Off the top of my head I can actually only think of one ten code that I've ever used and that is being on a "10" which we had mean... umm... taking a dump lol We would only use that just because you don't want to put that you're going to the bathroom over the radio. We used 10 because it meant you would be out of service for ten minutes... lot of gear to take off and then put back on. I remember when I first started dispatching I asked an officer for his 10-21 (what is your location) and he didn't know what I was asking.

The ten code problem was an issue that really came to light with 9-11 because nobody was able to communicate effectively with the other departments and agencies that went into NYC to help. It was then that they finally started being phased out.

I was a police dispatcher before becoming a police officer in a different town...both have different ten codes (that are never used)in spite of both being in close proximity of each other