Leaving an agent

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
What is the best way to part company with an agent with whom you never had a written agreement and who hasn't returned any of your calls in the last six months?

I was thinking of some kind of form letter....

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Avoid that temptation. Whenever exiting any business arrangement, avoid pissing off the other party, or leaving paper documents that show a cavalier attitude. Something that a jury might see down the road. Whatever method is stipulated in your contract, use that one. (But since you don't have one, send them a certified letter.)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
That's the value of this form, to get all that cavalier stuff out in a safe place.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Me, too

I also may soon find myself in the position of leaving an agent where there is no contract, so any further advice on etiquette is appreciated.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
The last agent I left before this one, I did it through email, and that's worked out fine.

Basically, I was equating it to a romantic relationship, where (I've been told) the stronger thing is to break up face to face, as opposed to through the mail or over the phone when you know they won't be home.