When an agent asked to see your next book, but.....

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
I have a dilemna. An agent I respect read a full of my last book. She rejected it, but said if I didn't get an agent off it that she wanted to see my next work. Great, right? But....

This book is a type she said she didn't want to get queries for. The post was months ago, but I remember it. It made me wince at the time. It's not that she doesn't rep the genre or age group, but more (I think) that she was burned out on it at the time. It's also a little dark, which may be a factor for her. So do I cross her off my list, out of respect for that post? Or do I query anyway, since she said to contact her with my next work?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
you query her.

yup. the agent that personally asked to see your next work.

not the one blogging randomly.

the one who emailed you.

(no, they are not the same person) :)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I would absolutely query her. But I don't think it would hurt any to say "I saw you mentioned you're not looking for queries on X, but since you specifically asked me to send you my next manuscript, I thought I'd take the chance."

Then she knows you're engaged and aware of what she's looking for. The worst she can do is say no. :) Good luck!

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
I would go ahead and query her. She specifically asked you to send your next work, and as Joy said, the worst that can happen is she says no.

Good luck!

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I would query her, specifically mentioning her previous request to see your future work. I wouldn't raise your concerns regarding her comments online. If she isn't keen on this type of book at the moment she'll let you know, but there's no need to remind her she said that.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Thanks, guys.

JoyMC: I really like the way you worded that. I do want to acknowledge that it might not be her cup of tea and I'm aware of it, and I think that's a nice way to do it.