PDA

View Full Version : Write for Light - Writing to raise money for charity

Tuckerooo
04-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Hi,

My name is Dean and I have recently launched a creative writing programme for charity called 'Write for Light'. We hope to publish a book of short stories with submissions from people from all over the world based on the following prompt:

Tell us about a time in your life when you found light in the darkness.

We aim to self-publish the finished book as a paperback and an ebook. So far we have received over 15,000 words worth of stories and are currently seeking more contributors before our deadline of May 31st 2013. The money raised from the book (when published) will go to 'Light for Children Ghana' to help them build an education centre.

I was wondering if the talented people at AW forum would be interested in possibly taking part? Any help that we can get would be brilliant, and get us a step closer to publishing the book. Anyone who contributes will help raise money for charity and become a published author :)

We have a website - www.writeforlight.com - with more information on the charity project and also a facebook page (www.facebook.com/writeforlight). If you can help in any way then it would mean so much to us.

Thank you for your time. If you have any questions then i'd be more than happy to answer them!

mirandashell
04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
I just Googled you and only found your OP above and a Twitter page.

So how are you going about publishing? I know you've said you will self-publish but what about publishing rights and such like?

How does the money get to the charity in Ghana?

Link to the charity:

http://lightforchildren.com/aboutus/board-members/

Tuckerooo
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Publishing rights - Anyone who contributes or 'donates' a story is simply giving us the rights to publish it in our collection. Authors of any work given to us can do what they please with the story themselves. We only require permission for publishing the work.

Money to Ghana - We are working closely with the Director for External Media and Relations for 'Light for Children Ghana'. Any money we receive from the book will be transferred to them for their education centre fund.

Katrina S. Forest
04-08-2013, 12:32 AM
I just gave the website a quick look-over. (The charity's website, I mean.) If you haven't gotten them to mention you on their blog, you should definitely do so. One, it might make more people aware of your project, and two, it will show your authentic connection to this charity.

Sadly, there's plenty of people willing to throw up the logo of an honorable cause just to collect money for themselves and I've run into it in the past often enough that I generally hold onto my wallet (or my writing, in this case) until I'm sure the money's going where I think it's going.

Tuckerooo
04-08-2013, 01:14 AM
If you check out their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/LightForChildren), they have mentioned us and our project there.

Their twitter (https://twitter.com/LIFOCGhana) follows us, and has also retweeted us regarding our campaign.

I am also expecting a blog post today/tomorrow from Rebecca Kuntz, their Director of External Media and Relations, that can also confirm our link to Light for Children Ghana and that our project is raising money for their education centre.

Hope this helps.

Katrina S. Forest
04-08-2013, 01:43 AM
That's awesome, thanks for adding the link. I don't know if I'll have anything to submit, but certainly wish you the best of luck.

Also, re-reading my post, I hope I didn't come across as accusing. It was meant as a suggestion, but I can see it come across as kind of demanding too.

Tuckerooo
04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
That's awesome, thanks for adding the link. I don't know if I'll have anything to submit, but certainly wish you the best of luck.

Also, re-reading my post, I hope I didn't come across as accusing. It was meant as a suggestion, but I can see it come across as kind of demanding too.

Thank you :)

And please don't apologise, I should have provided the links/proof to begin with.

Just a reminder to anyone else who may wish to take part - The deadline is May 31st and we have already received the minimum amount of stories in order to publish the book. So we WILL be publishing it, and we're aiming for a release date of July 16th 2013.

However, we would love to have as many stories as possible!

If you can think of any time in your life where you have 'found light in the darkness' or overcame a struggle, then we would love to hear your story.