wood carving/turning question

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
I have several wild hickory trees that I'd like to cut down this summer, and I understand that hickory can be particularly desirable for wood working/turning, so I'd like to offer the wood to a local woodcrafter, but I don't know anything about the woodworking community to know where to start finding someone who might be interested.

Does anyone know if there's a group comparable to the national writers' organizations, with local chapters, that I might be able to contact to find someone local who might be interested in some free wood for something other than burning?

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
You might have a hard time trying to find someone who will take just a few trees. The wood would have to be milled and then kiln dried before it would be useful for woodworkers so it's not something just anybody can do.

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
What about someone who does carving, as opposed to using milled boards? I used to know someone who turned things with a lathe, but I lost track of him.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a couple of fairly large black cherry cut down last year. I asked the tree people what they did with the wood. Cherry wood is excellent for a lot of things and is used in the glass blowing industry. I was told they just sold it to some guy who cut it in to firewood or whatever.

A lot of lumber people don't want trees that have been in a yard. There is too great of a chance that there is metal or nails in the tree and might damage their equipment. Still, a home craftsman might want it to make axe handles or such.

You might try putting it on Craig's List.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be involved in crafts and woodworking and hung out with those folks, so if things have not changed a whole lot, I'd suggest you ought to look for local craftspeople and ask them. Even if you know a potter, for instance, potters likely know other types of craftspeople. If there are crafts fairs in your area the organizers can put you in contact with woodworkers perhaps.

Also, cabinet shops that advertise fine cabinetry could very well be interested or know who might be.

It's true such wood needs to be seasoned and milled but hands-on craftspeople often know the millwrights, etc.

You should be able to make some good money from that lumber too. It will depend on the trees, their health and size, and the point about possible nails or metal in the wood is a good one, but I feel sure there are some local experts who can advise you. Good luck!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know where you are, but look for local places that sell woodworking tools (not the big home repair chains), like lathes, carving tools, etc, and ask if they know anyone, or if they have some place you could put up an ad.
Also, seconding local craftspeople, and craft shows.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
Making wood suitable for carving or woodworking is a precise science. It doesn't matter if they are making a table or turning it on a lathe. Wood that isn't properly cured will crack and check like crazy. I would say that wood turners are even more picky about the wood they use. Also, hickory is a strong wood, commonly used for wheelbarrow and ax handles but it isn't an exotic hardwood. I'm not trying to deter you from finding someone to pick them up. I just want you to be aware that they are probably not going to be a big payday.

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone.

Not looking for a payday of any sort; the trees are essentially weeds, but I was thinking it would be nice if someone could use them for something more interesting than burning.

I hadn't thought of the woodworking tools store. There's one near my Costco. I'll check it out the next time I go there.