Rise of the Chrysanthemum Artwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamba

Riddle Master
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Here I'll be posting for critique and opinions some artwork I have made pertaining to my novel, titled "Rise of the Chrysanthemum."

Everything is (poorly) made in Paint, so be nice as to the technical side of things!

First off: a map!

RiseoftheChrysanthemumMap_zpsa4511ef4.png

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of casual comments.

First, since you are focusing on the area in the bottom left, perhaps crop out a little of the top and right side in order to increase the size of the area you want to show.

It would be a little more interesting if you either showed some terrain (elevation) information, either by colors or my simple graphics. For example, low areas in green, deserts or mountain regions in tan or brown tones. Either of these would be easy to do even in Paint.

You might also see if you could move some of the information in the legend to the map itself. This might be possible if you did increase the image size. You might be able to move the legend to the map (in the sea at the right); but I'm not sure about that.

You could also pretty it up a bit by including a graphic scale and north arrow and that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Alice Xavier

some goon from the internet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alicexavier.com
Is this an alternate universe sort of set up?

But yeah, I agree that you should center the map around upstate New York so you bring the focus to the labeled regions rather than the no man's land of Maine.

Are you going to do a hand drawing for the final version? It's not too difficult to do, and would look. Until then, keeping things computerized seems like a good idea - easy to change things around if you're still developing the world.

Mamba

Riddle Master
Registered
Reaction score
Is this an alternate universe sort of set up?

But yeah, I agree that you should center the map around upstate New York so you bring the focus to the labeled regions rather than the no man's land of Maine.

Are you going to do a hand drawing for the final version? It's not too difficult to do, and would look. Until then, keeping things computerized seems like a good idea - easy to change things around if you're still developing the world.

Trust me when I say you wouldn't want to see a handdrawn final version. Believe you me. My artistic skills are hardly top class.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Is the Republic of Mooten on both sides of the bay (NJ and DE)?

-- possibly a proud Mootenite

Mamba

Riddle Master
Registered
Reaction score
Is the Republic of Mooten on both sides of the bay (NJ and DE)?

-- possibly a proud Mootenite

Yep, they control all ship traffic through the bay and upriver - a key plot point, as it happens.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
OT but why has Manhattan been smashed up into smithereens?

Mamba

Riddle Master
Registered
Reaction score
OT but why has Manhattan been smashed up into smithereens?

Dropping water levels forced Long Island to drift west a little ways, smashing up the western end of the island as well as Manhattan. Now, it's referred to as the "Weatherby Archipelago," after the noble house that rules there.

First bit of heraldry! Again, this was (poorly) made in MS Paint, so don't hate on me too much please! :(

HouseRosencrantz_zpsfaadca67.png

Quoth the appendix:

"House Rosencrantz is the ruling house of the Kingdom of Thalmasa. All of the lords in the kingdom are sworn to them. Their origins lie at the very end of the Great Winter, as they were the first people in the region to begin to rebuild. Gilbert Rosencrantz, the founder of the House, was responsible for the construction of Rosencrantz Keep, the earliest fortress known to have been built. This advantage served House Rosencrantz well in their early days and allowed them to build a large power base in the region, which continues to the present day. House Rosencrantz lends its name to many natural landmarks in the region, such as the river that Rosencrantz Keep lies on the banks of. In more recent times, they have added the Houses Stone and Tybolt as their vassals through conquest. Their dominance in the region caused the Holy Triarch Patriarchate to acknowledge them as the “Defender of the Faith.” Their crest is a crowned castle face, with a large letter R in the center of the gate. Their motto is Standing Strong."

I need to make a little alteration to the crown there, as there's a little error with the triarch symbol, but otherwise this is one of the best pieces of heraldry I've made. Hope you like!

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
LOL as someone born and raised on 'Watcher's Island' I fully support this!

Mamba

Riddle Master
Registered
Reaction score
LOL as someone born and raised on 'Watcher's Island' I fully support this!

Funnily enough, I have on occasion referred to Long Island as "Watcher's Island" in casual conversation, much to the bemusement of those I'm talking to. Usually it takes me a little while to even realize I said anything wrong, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.