PDA

View Full Version : Official Riddle Thread

Mamba
04-05-2013, 02:57 AM
We tell riddles! Post your favorite riddles here. People ought to try and guess at the answer to the riddle as posted in an earlier post before posting a new riddle. They can be classic riddles, or more elaborate ones.

I'll start!

Red is Group A.
Grey is Group B.
White is Group A.
Orange is Group B.
Green is Group A.
Pink is Group B.

To which group does Black belong, and why?

Cliff Face
04-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Group A. :)

(Group A has odd numbers of letters for the colours, Group B has even numbers of letters.)

Mamba
04-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Group A. :)

(Group A has odd numbers of letters for the colours, Group B has even numbers of letters.)

Correct on the Group, wrong on the reason! Hint: think of groups of things that use these three colors a lot...

Mr Flibble
04-05-2013, 03:16 AM
Flag colours (group A being among the most common)

You are a bus driver. The bus starts out empty. At the first stop 4 people get on. At the second stop, 8 people get on and 3 get off. At the third stop, 2 people get off and 4 get on. The question is, what colour are the bus driver's eyes?

PS I have some GREAT lateral thinking riddles *laughs evilly*

Cliff Face
04-05-2013, 03:19 AM
Nope, no clue.

Unless maybe it's to do with sports teams? But I don't live in the US where you are, so if it's that, I wouldn't know. And I don't think it's flags...

ETA: Cross-posted - Flibble seems to think it's flags. Hmm. One of us must be right!

Mamba
04-05-2013, 03:23 AM
Flag colours (group A being among the most common)

You are a bus driver. The bus starts out empty. At the first stop 4 people get on. At the second stop, 8 people get on and 3 get off. At the third stop, 2 people get off and 4 get on. The question is, what colour are the bus driver's eyes?

PS I have some GREAT lateral thinking riddles *laughs evilly*

Correct, the answer was Group A -> Flag Colors. Flibble is down with vexillology.

The answer to your riddle is blue-green, because I am the bus driver, and my eyes are blue-green.

New riddle!

I have millions of eyes,
Yet live in darkness,
I have millions of ears,
Yet only four lobes,
I have no muscle,
Yet I move two hemispheres,
What am I?

Mr Flibble
04-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Okay, here is a lateral thinking riddle

A guy is found dead in a (old fashioned, prolly UK specific (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.haveyoumetthequeen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/red-telephone-box_israel.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.haveyoumetthequeen.com/2011/03/the-remotest-red-telephone-box/&h=3264&w=2448&sz=4288&tbnid=_ngzaXgFlkQiUM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=70&zoom=1&usg=__CUz1W9aeVb82xA6FH-WWN8rTH1g=&docid=Mig0LKLh4iBHxM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ih5eUeKFENTP0AXP94C4Aw&ved=0CEgQ9QEwAw&dur=396)) telephone box. Two panes have been smashed out, and he's slit his wrists. The telephone box is by a river, the phone is off the hook and he's wearing galoshes

How did he die?

PS: off to bed, so have at it while away. :D

jjdebenedictis
04-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Hrrm...no idea. Hope someone else has a clue?

Here's a riddle I hope no one gets (very easily.) It's called the ten-second psychopath test, because if you get the answer in ten seconds or less, that may mean you are a psychopath.

A woman goes to her sister's wedding, and at the wedding, she meets a guy she really likes. Before she has a chance to get his phone number, however, the guy leaves.

A week later, the woman murders her sister. Why?

Cliff Face
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
New riddle!

I have millions of eyes,
Yet live in darkness,
I have millions of ears,
Yet only four lobes,
I have no muscle,
What am I?

Corn, right? Right? Otherwise I have no idea.

Here's a riddle I hope no one gets (very easily.) It's called the ten-second psychopath test, because if you get the answer in ten seconds or less, that may mean you are a psychopath.

A woman goes to her sister's wedding, and at the wedding, she meets a guy she really likes. Before she has a chance to get his phone number, however, the guy leaves.

Because her sister would've known the guy's number, but refused to give it to her. And that's the answer I came up with in under 10 seconds. ;)

(I'm pretty sure it's something like that, anyway, but in my defence I've heard that one before and didn't know the answer then, but remember it was something along those lines.)

Or I'm just a psychopath. :tongue

No idea about the phone box death riddle. Then again, I don't know UK phone boxes. Unless it was Dr. Who, in which case he was probably murdered by some weird water robot. :tongue

jjdebenedictis
04-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Because her sister would've known the guy's number, but refused to give it to her. And that's the answer I came up with in under 10 seconds. ;)It's okay, Cliff! That's the wrong answer. You are (probably) not a psychopath. :D

Ellielle
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm like 90% sure the answer to the psychopath riddle is that the woman assumed that, because the man was at the sister's wedding, he knew her sister and would also attend the sister's funeral, so she could meet him again there. So she killed her sister. I ran through a couple other possibilities in my head before coming up with that one, so it did take more than 10 seconds to think of...but, er, I still feel a little weird (if I'm correct). :gone:

Especially because I'm not certain of the answer to either of the other riddles. :gone:

The phone box one: I feel like the guy punched out the glass, and that's what slit his wrists open? But then, I don't know about the gloshes or the river. I like the theory that it's Dr. Who, though. :D

Eyes/ears one: I have no idea.

My riddle (I feel like it's a common one--maybe from a book? can't remember where I heard it--so I hope that it's new to someone here!):
It is the beginning of eternity and the end of time and space. It is the the beginning of the end and the end of every place. What is it?

Cliff Face
04-05-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm like 90% sure the answer to the psychopath riddle is that the woman assumed that, because the man was at the sister's wedding, he knew her sister and would also attend the sister's funeral, so she could meet him again there. So she killed her sister. I ran through a couple other possibilities in my head before coming up with that one, so it did take more than 10 seconds to think of...but, er, I still feel a little weird (if I'm correct). :gone:

Ah, yes, that's the answer I heard a few years back! I'm pretty sure you're correct. :)

My riddle (I feel like it's a common one--maybe from a book? can't remember where I heard it--so I hope that it's new to someone here!):
It is the beginning of eternity and the end of time and space. It is the the beginning of the end and the end of every place. What is it?

The letter "E".

ETA: I have not heard this one before though, but I think that's the answer.

Mr Flibble
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM
The phone box one: I feel like the guy punched out the glass, and that's what slit his wrists open? But then, I don't know about the gloshes or the river.

Kinda correct. But not intentional.

Ellielle
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Ah, yes, that's the answer I heard a few years back! I'm pretty sure you're correct. :)

:thankyou: Though perhaps I should not be proud. :gone:

The letter "E".

ETA: I have not heard this one before though, but I think that's the answer.
Yup, that's the answer. :) I'm glad, at least, that you hadn't heard it.

Ellielle
04-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Kinda correct. But not intentional.

Okay, so it was raining. That's why he's wearing galoshes (ETA: wait, galoshes are rain boots, right?). The river flooded. And--tripped him (okay, I'm not sure if that's possible, but...). And he slipped (that's why the phone is off the hook?) and his arms went through the panels, slit his wrists, and he bled out from that?

Er, I'm not sure how much sense that makes.

Mr Flibble
04-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Think fish ;)

Cliff Face
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Still no idea. Unless... were there irate piranhas with lasers attached to their heads?!

Mr Flibble
04-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Lol, nope.

I can put the answer whited out (Make sure not to quote it as it'll show, for those still wanting to work it out)

And: The guy was fishing. Caught a huge fish, but it got away, Ran to ring his mate. Said 'It was this big!' with arms outstretched....smashed windows, slit wrists etc etc

Cliff Face
04-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Yeah, I never would've got that. :tongue

ULTRAGOTHA
04-06-2013, 12:53 AM

The guy was her sister's husband. Yes, I got that in under 10 seconds.

But this is a board full of writers. We're supposed to think like that.

jjdebenedictis
04-06-2013, 06:08 AM

But this is a board full of writers. We're supposed to think like that.:D Except that's incorrect. Ellielle got it right (thankfully not in 10 seconds... Or so she SAYS... :scared:)

The woman wanted to meet the guy again. Her logic was: If he came to the sister's wedding, then he'd come to her funeral too.

The reason it's so hard (for a normal person) to get the answer to that riddle is that people with empathy just can't fathom ranking their sister's life below getting some guy's phone number. We assume there has to be some other warped logic at work--but there isn't. To a psychopath, murder is just an option, and losing a sister carries no emotional sting.

Ellielle
04-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I never would've got that. :tongue

I looked at the answer too, and yeah. Me neither. I was still determined that the galoshes represented rain. My next theory was that it rained, the river flooded, washed some fish up, and the guy tripped on those and put his arms through the glass.

But this is a board full of writers. We're supposed to think like that.

As a side note, this was actually my initial answer (that I came up with in under 10 seconds) to the psychopath riddle as well. Then I thought about it more and decided on the answer I mentioned above. I still stand by my above answer, but I'm mentioning this because I find it amusing that I wasn't the only one who jumped to this conclusion first. :tongue

maxmordon
04-06-2013, 06:19 AM
:D Except that's incorrect. Ellielle got it right (thankfully not in 10 seconds... Or so she SAYS... :scared:)

The woman wanted to meet the guy again. Her logic was: If he came to the sister's wedding, then he'd come to her funeral too.

The reason it's so hard (for a normal person) to get the answer to that riddle is that people with empathy just can't fathom ranking their sister's life below getting some guy's phone number. We assume there has to be some other warped logic at work--but there isn't. To a psychopath, murder is just an option, and losing a sister carries no emotional sting.

I actually heard it on 30 Rock.

Here's mine: 5 men start to walk from the very same starting point. On their way, they find some rain. When they arrive to their arriving point it turns out 4 men are wet and tired and one was not. How is this possible?

Cliff Face
04-06-2013, 09:12 AM
The fifth was dead in a coffin.

That's all I've got.

maxmordon
04-06-2013, 09:29 AM
The fifth was dead in a coffin.

That's all I've got.

Right!

A man is found dead in his bathroom, he's hanging from the ceiling but he's too short to actually reach the floor. The police suspects he was murdered but the detective figures out he hung himself. How did the detective figures out?

maxmordon
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Anyone wants to try...?

Cliff Face
04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
I have no idea about that one.

Ellielle
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
A man is found dead in his bathroom, he's hanging from the ceiling but he's too short to actually reach the floor. The police suspects he was murdered but the detective figures out he hung himself. How did the detective figures out?

There's a suicide note?
He's hanging next to the toilet--that's how he hung himself even though he doesn't reach the floor?

Gotta say, I don't really know either.

Cliff Face
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Yup, still no idea. I think you may have to tell us, Max.

maxmordon
04-12-2013, 01:18 AM
He stood on a block of ice and when it melted it went by the drain.

Cliff Face
04-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I never would've got that!

Russell Secord
04-12-2013, 02:23 AM
I have millions of eyes,
Yet live in darkness,
I have millions of ears,
Yet only four lobes,
I have no muscle,
What am I?