Horse markets-essays?

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any horse markets that accept essays? I looked through the ones in the resources sticky, but didn't find any that want essays. Thanks.

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking about personal essays and you're not a big-name trainer, rider, or breeder, I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time finding a market. I know. I've been trying for years. My best option has been anthologies. Check the Adams Media site. They just put out two horse-related anthologies and may have another in the works. Chicken Soup is a possible market as well. Several of the glossy horse mags take essays for their readers' input page, but I don't think they pay for tose.

The only exception to the personal essay rule is the essay that chronicles a specific, serious or rare veterinary or hoof problem or the "My Horse Survived Three Days in Public High School!" kind of thing. Most of the glossy mags will take those. Photos are a big plus.

I'll be curious to hear whether anyone else has additional suggestions. Thanks for posting this question.

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I'll check out Adams media.

I've been all over the internet checking out horse mags, but can't seem to find anywhere my essay fits. Even though it is a personal essay, it includes an unusual occurrence/ending, but some of the mags I think it would work in specify "no essays". I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You! For some reason I had a time finding their guidelines yesterday, but went right to them today. They did an informative piece on this same subject back in about 1998 or so; perhaps they'll be receptive to giving readers a refresher from a different slant. Thanks!