Agent's neutral response to MS...?

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
For the past three months an agent has had my full manuscript and on April Fool's Day she replied to me saying that she'd read it and asked what genre the novel was meant for, adult or YA. She didn't offer any feedback on the manuscript (loved it, hated it, wanted revisions) and after I replied to her on that same day I've heard nothing at all. I know she's incredibly busy but the wait is excruciating. I refuse to nag her with questions, so I've come to the forum for information.

Am I wrong to be excited because this wasn't a rejection? Is it a good sign at all? Is this neutral reply abnormal? When (if ever) should I follow up on this?

And, in general, I'd like to know more about the agents' side of manuscript reviews like this. What hoops do they have to go through to get the authorization to make an offer? Is that what could be holding this agent up from getting back to me with a yay or nay?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
She's read it and hasn't rejected it yet. This is a good thing.

As for making an offer of representation, that depends on the agency and the agent's status within it. If they are a full agent then it is just their judgement call.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It could be she's just pondering your answer. You know, does the ms work as a (whatever you said)? Can she sell it like that? Things like that.

Be patient. Write something else. Easy, right? :)

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but while I'm still waiting I've run into a new problem. I'm querying agents with two novels at a time (Agent A gets Novel 1, then a month after rejection Agent A will get Novel 2) and I've just had a request for a full on the other novel, but the agent wants exclusivity. The novel she wants has had no other bites yet, so I really want to send it. But I don't know what to tell her (if anything) about the other novel that's with this other agent (the one who read the MS and replied on April Fool's Day.)

So, do I tell her I *might* be about to get an offer from this other agent on a different novel, or do I send the novel she wants and not mention it unless this other agent replies with an offer? If it was the same novel or an offer to rep I know I'd have to tell her, but since it's not the same novel and not yet an offer...what sdo I do?

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
On the first agent, who emailed the clarifying question, my guess is that said agent read all (or part) of the manuscript and likes it, but is sitting on the fence while they consider whether it's marketable. I've had plenty of manuscripts where I ponder them for days afterward. In the early days, if i was still thinking about it, I'd offer on it. Now I tend to pass if i haven't gotten off the fence days later, simply becuase I'm busier and would rather fill my lists with the ones which are clear, immediate YESes.

On the new agent, with the exclusive request, simply send it and say, "Thank you. Currenlty, you are the only agent with this mansucript, and I am happy to give you a 2 week exclusive. However, please note that an earlier manuscript is still out with another agent. I hope this is not an issue."

If you're not in a hurry, and you dont have other queries out which might end in requests, you might give that agent a 30 day exclusive, but absolutely do specify a time period.

Spalivoda

Registered
Reaction score
No news right away could be good news for the future.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's not bad news, but the agent should have known what genre the novel was best for, if she actually read it. Knowing this is a major part of an agent's job.