Aw fuck, Roger Ebert

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sad. :( But this Ebert quote makes me a little happy. :)

"One day I will be thin, but Vincent Gallo will always be the director of The Brown Bunny."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. :( I read he was ill in the paper this morning. I had no idea this would happen so fast.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Noooooooo! The one national movie critic I knew I could rely on! Damn. He alerted me to a hundred movies I never would have heard of and I loved almost all of them. If he liked it and Siskel didn't, I was a GO.

Really sorry to hear this, but I agree, his last years had to be difficult and he did go through them with good grace. I hope he and his family find peace.

Mamba

Riddle Master
Registered
Reaction score
Quite sad. My father loved him. R.I.P.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe retitle the thread something more descriptive and not quite so NSFW? This does seem to be the thread people are going to :)

It's tragic--even though I couldn't disagree more with Ebert on a lot of key pictures and points, he was a passionate and erudite communicator and a tireless advocate of cinema as a medium.

To rub salt in the wound, his last published review, as of now, is for "The Host" based on the book by Stephenie "Twlight" Meyer.

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Roger Ebert was so much more than a film critic; he was a film historian.

There are so many Joe Schmoes reviewing films these days, but they're just journalists who took film classes in college. None of them have his connections, knowledge and personal insights about greats like John Huston, Stanley Kubrick and Martin Scorcese. He was and is irreplaceable.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe retitle the thread something more descriptive and not quite so NSFW? This does seem to be the thread people are going to

If one of the mods wants to re-title it, they are - of course - free to.

I stand by it, though, as an initial response and accurate encapsulation.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Ebert's reviews were fun reading even for movies I would never want to see.

He also wrote the precursor to TVTropes (although I don't know if the tropes people ever read it). Ebert's Little Movie Glossary came out in 1994 with an alphabetical listing of movie tropes.

Years ago he ran an Answer Man column in the Chicago Sun-Times on Sundays where he would explain apsects of film and film making to readers. He would put one trope in each column.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
To rub salt in the wound, his last published review, as of now, is for "The Host" based on the book by Stephenie "Twlight" Meyer.

I thought it was quite poetic as he was talking of farewells.

Having not read anything about The Host before, I was amused the see the MC's name is Melanie Stryder. Call me a cynic, but it sounds suspiciously like Stephanie Myer. :evil

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
He'll be missed.
HW1CaVM.gif