DRM everywhere but SmashWords for same eBook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering what people's views are at the prospect of having a book with DRM also available at SW where it won't have DRM.

I know there are differing views on DRM. One view of mine is that so long as it doesn't affect functionality I am for DRM. I have heard the saying “A good business is one that has repeat customers” which is why no DRM gets the hard working, honest part inside me spinning around a bit. If someone with a good eBook that was well worth the money that they paid for it, did not pass it on to their mates for free because it had no DRM then I'm Lord Lucan.

My counter view to that is I don't know to what extent that would occur, so whether or not to DRM, is still something I am on the fence about. O'Reilly Media have no DRM but they sell to professionals like computer programmers and the like, so I don't think piracy is the same ball game for them as mass market like hollywood films or the like.

A complicated subject. The way I see it at the moment is that it would be OK to have DRM everywhere but SW because so long as someone wasn't intending to breach copyright anyway it wouldn't make any difference.

I searched the forums for “No DRM” and “No DRM for eBook” but the former was too short and the latter didn’t seem to have many relevant results by title.

Another curiosity while I’m here. I’ve noticed some eBooks share the same ISBN for different formats. The following two eBooks are in both ePub and PDF under the same ISBN.

http://www.ebooks.com/682830/ramp-rats/o-donnell-liam-deas-mike/

http://www.ebooks.com/876728/egghead/oceanak-karla-spanjer-kendra/

I’ll ask Nielsen about that, just thought I’d mention it incase anyone knew or has dealt with this themselves.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
I don't use DRM at all. It's so far from foolproof that it only seems to get in the way of legitimate buyers.

My opinion, anyway. Best of luck to you.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
People who want to illegally copy your DRM book can do it anyway even if you put DRM on it.

Those of us who want to have a copy of the book on our Kindle, and our tablet and our computer and as a .txt file on a datastick so we can read it anywhere, legally, are just inconvenienced by DRM.

So your legit customers are irritated and your illegit customers can get around it anyway.

IOW, I agree with AnneGlyn

Alice Xavier

some goon from the internet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alicexavier.com
Yeah, DRM is silly and dumb. I never use it. Think about it this way: the people who pirate your e-books are not, never were, and never will be paying customers. If a pirated copy was not available, they just wouldn't buy your book. The whole illegal download = lost sale is a giant dumb fallacy.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Yup. I routinely strip the DRM off my Amazon purchases so I can read them on my non-Kindle. Takes less than a minute and wasn't hard to figure it out.
If I couldn't do it... well, I wouldn't be buying from Amazon.
And there's been a few times when I've had a book I was ready to buy and they made it inconvenient (i.e. not available in my country in the format I wanted, or whatever) so I just didn't buy it. So, to me, having DRM is more likely to lose sales than to increase them.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
DRM is why my new kindle is filled with 200 books that I paid for but can't OPEN because I don't have "permission" on my new kindle. I could re-download my books one by one from the cloud. Or I could strip the filthy DRM off and never have this transfering-stuff-to-new-ereader problem again.

EDIT: In other words, I consider DRM the enemy of paying customers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, DRM is silly and dumb. I never use it. Think about it this way: the people who pirate your e-books are not, never were, and never will be paying customers. If a pirated copy was not available, they just wouldn't buy your book. The whole illegal download = lost sale is a giant dumb fallacy.

I get your points, Alice, but I think they'd be better-made with less name-calling.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
OK thanks, something to think about. I'm in two minds about using it or not. Nielsen got back to me regarding my other question and they tell me I need seperate ISBN for different formats of the same eBook.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of DRM. When my Sony e-reader died I bought a Kindle. The problem is, I can't re-read the books I legitimately bought and paid for when I had the Sony because I can't convert the format without doing something illegal and dodgy like stripping off the DRM. Maybe this reflects the fact that I'm a respectable citizen, but I don't know how to do this and I don't know anyone else that can do it, either.

When you buy a paperback you can lend it to friends, you and your partner can read it, you can re-read over and over, and it's no problem. You can even, as a UK citizen, go to the US on holiday, buy a book that isn't yet available in the UK in a US book store, bring in back in your suitcase and read it at home without breaking any laws. But you can't do that with e-books.

I am a fan of e-books, but not of DRM. I acknowledge piracy is a problem, but DRM doesn't help. I still think the best way to discourage piracy is to make all books available as e-books, in every territory, at a reasonable price.

Shara

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Rant:

The providers of various mediums by which copyright material is conveyed seem a bit pig headed about it. The reason I say this is if not for the copyright industry the iPad would not exist on a commercially viable basis, neither would anything from a cassette player to search engines and the internet as we know it.

Not unless you want to create your own software, computer games, films, music and books. I hope you like my new film, I bought a $100 camera, put my Gerbil in a little parachute and dropped him from a balcony, don’t worry he’s OK. The film is called Skyfall.

Steve Jobs must have felt pretty safe leading the charge for DRM free music, infact copyright theft benefits the medium providers. ISP’s (Internet Service Providers) are not interested in restricting or stopping internet access for users who are breaking the law, every time they are put under pressure to do so they try and skip around the argument somehow.

Anti-copyright people say “ “Nothing physical is stolen, it’s not like it needs replacing.”

So it’s OK for the blue prints for the products of medium providers to be publicised.

Anti-copyright people say “Information should be free” as though they are fighting some kind of anti-liberal tyranny, but last time I heard, the DVD box set of 24 wasn’t needed for the Arab Spring and whether or not Queens greatest hits gets pirated has got absolutely nothing to do with the Global recession. I mean wow how did the berlin wall get knocked down in Germany, or the end of apartheid happen in South Africa before the internet existed?

First they came for music I did nothing, then they came for films I did nothing, then they came for eBooks (just continue with anything else that can be affected) then the entire industry was in the same boat and we all collectively did something about it.

You can get virus from downloading illegal content if you don’t know what you are doing. Often these places charge for access, such as a monthly fee. Kim.com’s new site “Mega” charges $9.95 per month. You might be able to listen to music in a few minutes but it may take a month to get through one good eBook that cost a few bucks.

Competition between pirates for the limited profit pool is also a good thing in my mind, if they only rely on ad revenue they are competing for traffic with every other pirate who is. If for a fee then you’re competing with other pirates, as well as Amazon, Netflix et al. who also have customer service.

Sorry folks, I respect your input and even though I can tell by the sales ranks on Amazon for your “unlimited simultaneous device” books they sell no less than what I generally see DRM or otherwise. I decided I’m gonna use DRM, I like word of mouth business, but that decision was largely on the basis I can opt out of DRM any time I want.

Eliza azilE

Registered
Reaction score
Leave it off everything and, if you're lucky enough to be pirated, congratulations on your popularity.

Indeed.

From what I understand, ebooks are often uploaded in bundles. "1000 ebooks for Your Kindle," "NYT Best Seller List", or something like that.

Very popular individual fiction titles sometimes pop up, but it's rare. More common individual titles are non-fiction books--generally self-help books, guides to a specific computer program, etc.

If someone took the time to upload your fiction to a torrenting site, this means you have written a book that is already very popular; or, it means someone was so in love with your relatively unknown book that they feel the need to share it with the world.

(I should say I never illegally download, but this is what I've been led to understand.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The arguments against DRM are these:

1) It inconveniences legitimate purchasers.
2) It does not inconvenience pirates in the slightest.
3) It tells your fans that you think they're thieves.

I don't see an up-side to it.

Who does love DRM? Equipment manufacturers. DRM ensures that once someone buys a Kindle they will never buy a Nook.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
A deposit on a flat doesn’t mean the Landlord thinks I will trash it, taking my ID and / or making a deposit before renting out a hire car doesn’t mean they think I will steal it.

We have none of these advantages with eBooks, I don’t think DRM is as big issue as the anti makes it out to be.

I agree with you on the issue of DRM ensuring that once someone buys a Kindle they will never buy a Nook, particularly in light of how that’s a regressive step for books. It isn’t for computer games, being tied in with exclusive deals have been the norm for those quite a while. Doing that for music CD’s would also be regressive and be met with derision knowing that you can play a music CD on any manufacturers CD playing device. Implementation of DRM is important and they haven't got that right yet.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
We have none of these advantages with eBooks, I don’t think DRM is as big issue as the anti makes it out to be.

It is the one consistent thing that comes up again, and again, and again. Legitimate users hate DRM, and it is a sales-inhibitor.

Piracy is not a sales inhibitor. DRM is.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Lightning source are telling me I would need to set up eBooks again to turn DRM "on" or "off" which might cost me over £300 with all the eBooks I intend by the end of this year (what on earth for I don't know, the last eBook I set up on there took a matter of a few minutes until "Available for Download" while it takes me about 30 seconds to put an eBook through ePubchecker).

Somewhere I can publish ePubs and PDF's and be able to change the DRM settings without incurring fee's would be good, knowing how controvercial DRM is and how things / attitudes change over time etc. I have a feeling there's not such a place that is on Ingram.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Some publishers are using "This e-book does not use DRM" as a selling point.

Fair point, I'm aware of that. Perhaps to some extent it depends on the market. I think Bean books does, also O'Rielly. Both for niches, Bean for a crowd with specific taste and O'Rielly for techy people who probably have better things to do than pirate. Somthing main stream and marketed to teenagers might be a different issue.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Fair point, I'm aware of that. Perhaps to some extent it depends on the market. I think Bean books does, also O'Rielly. Both for niches, Bean for a crowd with specific taste and O'Rielly for techy people who probably have better things to do than pirate. Somthing main stream and marketed to teenagers might be a different issue.

No. There are actually numbers. Tor just released a statement that a year after removing all DRM, nothing has happened. No spike in piracy, and no decline either. It's just like before. Tor publishes Science Fiction, which is big among teens and digital rights nerds.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123606-No-DRM-Results-In-No-Change-In-E-Bbook-Piracy
Sci-fi and fantasy publishing label Tor U.K. says that one year after it removed DRM from its e-books, nothing much has happened.

In April 2012, publishing imprint Tor U.K. announced that it would remove the DRM from its e-books, saying that not only readers but also many of its authors wanted it gone. One year later, it's looking like a smart move: customers are happy, authors remain supportive and, most important of all, the rate of piracy of its titles hasn't budged.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
To me there's the possibility that a non-DRMer "trend setter" compared to a non-DRMer within a norm of non-DRM might be different.

In other words no DRM might be Tor's unique selling point, but if no DRM was the norm no DRM would not be a USP to garner what sales it might have, and they might lose sales equally as much as anyone else.

The eBook market is increasing on the whole anyway, so to pinpoint an increase in or even maintainance of sales down to no DRM would be very ambiguous

Either way sales figures are not offered in that article either, just that the rate of piracy has not budged, which could be seen as negative in light of the anti-DRMers who argue they would buy eBooks if they didn't have DRM.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with LS and have noticed it appears some, if not many, retailers are not showing my non-DRM books, so having DRM might increase exposure / sales, who knows.

I just learnt that you need "iBooks Author" to get your book onto iBookstore, then saw this...

"To download iBooks Author from the Mac App Store, you need a Mac with OS X 10.6.6 or later."....Hahaha! I'm not against Mac's but no thanks!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ibooks-author/id490152466?ls=1&mt=12

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score

I understand, but that guy or gal is not the one I worry about. I'm more concerned about the pirate who copies it and then puts it back on the market for sale at half of what I sell it for. The end buyer doesn't know it's pirated material.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I understand, but that guy or gal is not the one I worry about. I'm more concerned about the pirate who copies it and then puts it back on the market for sale at half of what I sell it for. The end buyer doesn't know it's pirated material.

DRM doesn't bother these people. Seriously; it's incredibly easy for them to strip.

The 'good' news is most sites that appear to have huge number of pirated books for sale aren't actually selling them; they're scamming people's credit card details. People rarely buy from third party sellers they don't know (because they might get their credit card details stolen!), so there's not a lot of profit in reselling ebooks in a fake store.

You do get people who upload pirated books to Amazon etc to sell them. I believe Amazon has some level of text checking, though I don't know if it's particularly effective. When you do come across something like that, you have to alert Amazon and show that you're the original author. Again, DRM doesn't stop people doing this. What does is having a lot of loyal readers, who'll let you know if they find someone has done this. And it's easier to get loyal readers if you don't inconvenience them with DRM!

Status
Not open for further replies.