Not open for further replies.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
What wretched, awful news. Iain Banks, one of the very best, has announced that he is gravely ill, and that he will shortly be leaving us. Here is a link to his statement.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
What wretched, awful news. Iain Banks, one of the very best, has announced that he is gravely ill, and that he will shortly be leaving us. Here is a link to his statement.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

Ah no! That's horrible news.

My best wishes to him and his family.

joe_thomas25

Registered
Reaction score
I just heard this - horrible news. The Culture series are some of my favourite books.

Best wishes and thoughts to him and his family.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
Greatly saddened by this. Iain Banks is one of my favourite authors, a very distinctive voice. I've been reading his books all my adult life. I will miss him.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yep, sad news. I read Walking On Glass when I was about 18 - still one of my favourites.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I've only discovered his books in the past 5 years, but I'm a big fan.

Best wishes to him - good spirits, as much time with his family as he can get, no pain, and dignity at the end.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
What an amazing legacy he'll leave behind, but how horribly sad. He's one of my all-time favorite writers. Ugh.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a site Mr Banks has set up for updates. You can sign the guest book there.

He's asked his long time partner to do him the honor of "becoming his widow" and they're off on a mini honeymoon right now.

Best Wishes.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The man could write a phone book and it would be readable.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
What terrible news, and an awful shock. I'm so sorry.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
How awful for him and his family. I felt a stab in the heart when he wrote he asked Adele to "do me the honour of becoming his widow." I wish him and Adele peace.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's such sad news. I've only read one book by him (Consider Phlebas), but I enjoyed it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I was gutted to hear this. I read The Wasp Factory at university [incidently, he was one of Stirling University's first graduates,] and have Whit on my 'to read' pile. :cry:

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
It was an iron law in Scottish fandom that you could get Banksie to appear at any con, no matter how small, if you were willing to buy him a drink. We used to have him up once a year at the St Andrews SF&F Soc. Years later, just at the end of the last century, my husband and I ended up in the same SF drinking group with him in Edinburgh. My initial impressions of him as a really pleasant bloke were confirmed: a good conversationalist and a smart guy. And though he could have let the fans buy him beers forever, he always stood his round.

It's unlikely he's changed since I was last in that group. His statements in the press right now certainly sound like the guy I drank with. He will be missed, not just by the people who knew him through his books, but also by the people who knew him in the flesh, even in passing.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blast this beast that takes young and old, good and bad, hardworking and lazy, but all to frequently those we see with a welcome eye. Blast this beast that takes and takes and takes.

So sad to hear this news.

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
Here is a site Mr Banks has set up for updates. You can sign the guest book there.

Best Wishes.

A big thank you for the link.

I left this message on the guestbook and I encourage everyone else to leave their own message:

"Very best wished to you and Adele and all your friends and family. Of course, we all hope the odds change in your favor, but if not: There is a reason why we say that the good die young: because no matter how old they are when it happens to good people, it is always too soon.
Every library is filled with the voices of those who still speak to us after they have gone, sometimes for many centuries. Those still unborn will have the chance to hear you. And thank you for your words."

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Bugger. And again, bugger.

I discovered his work last year and have been immersing myself in the Culture ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.