When you've come to love a character's name

hillcountryannie

Son, you ain't kiddin'.
Registered
Reaction score
When I started writing my novel it was as if the character's name sort of chose themselves. I didn't think much about it.

One of my main character's name is Riley. I've always been a little partial to it because it has connection to where I'm from.

But now after writing it over and over, I love it. I would really like to name our baby Riley. But, is that weird?

I love it so much that I've tried to come up with other names for my character. And I have some good ones, but it doesn't feel right to me. I guess he's just Riley in my head now.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i tend to use ancestor's names for characters i love.

i don't think naming a child riley, or after a charchter is weird. many do.

btw, gooo cards. ;)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I don't think it's weird, but you'll have to be careful not to EVER mention to baby boy Riley that he was named after his mother's book character . . . especially if you write horror or romance. It would likely weird him out. :ROFL:

hillcountryannie

Son, you ain't kiddin'.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. It wouldn't be that he was named after the character. Just happened that I fell in love with the name in the process. And we're thinking of it for a little girl.

Cathy, haha.

Actually, the name popped in my head for this character because 1) I knew a really nice guy named Riley in college 2) There's this little historic beer joint in the middle of nowhere near where my grandparents farmed. And I love that place.

I recently had a name conversation with my brother and sister-in-law and it went like this

Me: I love the name Riley. As in Riley's.
Brother: You'd name your kid after a beer joint?
Me: Yup.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who named her daughter Riley, and I thought it was soooo cool. :)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I don't think it's weird, but you'll have to be careful not to EVER mention to baby boy Riley that he was named after his mother's book character . . . especially if you write horror or romance. It would likely weird him out. :ROFL:

That depends on the kid, I'd think. My sister's middle name came from one of my mother's favorite dogs. She thinks it's cool - she's a dog person, as well. (And it was a very special dog.)

I do agree that you might wait until they're older, and you have a better grasp on the child's personality, but I don't see how it would be inherently wrong to tell them. People name kids after all sorts of ridiculous things - naming them after a brainchild would be an honor, IMHO. Especially if, in the meantime, that book went on to be a best-seller - in which case, there may be many, many Rileys out there, named by fans of the book, not the beer joint. ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard the name Tierza once and liked it but didn't think I'd ever use it for a character, then when I came up with A Dog of War, I knew instantly that was the name for the dog.

hillcountryannie

Son, you ain't kiddin'.
Registered
Reaction score
Lavern, thanks! I think it's very cool, too. I love girls with boys names.

Bright, haha. You're too nice....I can only wish! :)

I knew someone who named their kid after a soap opera star. Haha.

hillcountryannie

Son, you ain't kiddin'.
Registered
Reaction score
Reg, that's a name that sticks.

I collect names, especially good "cowboy" names. I find them everywhere when I'm traveling. Names of creeks, roads, and towns. And, I write them down.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I named a male character Dagny because I like the name, but think it's much better suited to a man. The feminine origin of the name is sort of a plot point too :)