Atlas Shrugged : book vs. film

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
First things first: I’m not an Objectivist. My favorite Ayn Rand novel is actually The Fountainhead, but I like many things about Atlas Shrugged, although I don’t buy into a lot of Rand’s philosophy. So when I heard there was a film, I wanted to see it, although I was afraid it would be a trainwreck, no pun intended.

I thought of buying the DVD, but finally decided to wait and borrow a copy from the library. So, let’s begin. I’ll be contrasting the way the novel and the film present some of the characters, in no particular order…

Francisco d’Anconia

The Francisco of the present, in both book and film, is a playboy, but the book uses a 23-page flashback to show how different he was in the past. Granted, in the past he was a brilliant uberman who could do anything perfectly, but still, that’s enough of a contrast to his current state that it raises the question of why he’s fallen so far. The movie has no such contrast. It presents Francisco as a playboy and there’s no indication that he was ever anything else.

The problem is that the movie bends over backward to make Francisco unlikeable. Rather than being handsome, he’s unshaven and scruffy-looking in an open-necked shirt when he approaches Hank Rearden at the anniversary party. He also seems to have women hanging off his arms at every opportunity. That’s not Francisco d’Anconia. That’s not even Jayne Cobb. In the book, Francisco makes it clear to Rearden that he’s never touched any of the women who have been rumored as his lovers, but it’s only too easy to imagine the Francisco of the film indulging in everything that came his way.

In the book, when Dagny visits Francisco at the hotel, she finds him playing marbles, and though that appears frivolous at first, the game is a chance for Rand to show three things. First, the marbles are made of semi-precious stones—the association of Francisco with wealth and refinement. Second, he’s very good at the game—naturally, since he’s good at everything. Finally, Dagny realizes his playing isn’t an affectation—he’s constantly active and hates to be just sitting around.

In the film, Francisco is more than happy to sit around, especially if there’s a drink handy. When Dagny offers to beg him for the money she needs to develop the John Galt Line, a scene which occurs in both book and film, the Francisco of the book reacts with suppressed anger and pain. He doesn't want to see her self-respect and dignity humbled to the point where she has to beg. In the movie, he says, “Hah. You don’t know how [to beg].” That’s not Francisco d’Anconia. That’s Gogo Yubari challenging the Bride.

Also, his reaction to hearing “The John Galt Line” is so understated that the significance of the name is lost entirely. Finally, both his speeches are cut from the movie. When he sits down with Rearden and says, “I want to learn to understand you,” both of them start laughing as though it’s the funniest farce they ever witnessed. A farce it is, but funny it’s not.

Hank Rearden

Grant Bowler makes a pretty good Rearden, but he gets some lines which are unbelievable—and which would have Ayn Rand rolling over in her grave.

1. When Dagny swaps her diamonds for the bracelet of Rearden Metal and tells him, “Sorry, Hank, but I had to”, in the film he replies, “It’s nothing, it’s just a useless hunk of metal.” Rearden would never have denigrated his own accomplishment like that.

2. In Ellis Wyatt’s house at night, he says to Dagny, “All I want to do right now is kiss you.” That’s a soap-opera sentiment the Rearden of the novel would never have made under those circumstances; he fought his attraction to Dagny before he finally gave into it. The film has him kissing her in public the morning after and planning to go away somewhere with her. The book had him telling her how much he despised the both of them—himself for breaking his marriage vows and her for giving in to a degrading physical passion.

In other words, the Rearden of the film obviously doesn’t care whether he’s married or not, and this isn’t only poor characterization, it’s lousy conflict.

3. When they’re looking at the motor, he says, “This must be a secondary cooling system, probably designed to eliminate excess heat generated during the process.” No kidding, is that really what cooling systems do? To make it even better, he’s speaking to someone who has a degree in engineering.

Lillian Rearden

Granted that Lillian is a poorly written antagonist, since like James Taggart she’s evil for the sake of being evil and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, the film does an even worse job on her.

In the book, her first scene is the one where Rearden gives her a bracelet made from the first pour of Rearden Metal. The bracelet is not attractive—it’s a chain of metal links that are “heavy, crudely made”—but it represents Rearden’s pride in his achievement. Lillian says, “It’s the chain by which he holds us all in bondage.”

In the film, the bracelet is actually pretty. It’s not flashy or glittering, but it’s not crude either, and, more importantly, it’s not shaped like a chain. So when Lillian says the “chain… bondage” line, that makes no sense.

Also, in the film, when she talks about the bracelet, she’s casually dismissive and condescending. In the book, she dresses up for their anniversary party like this:

She had always shown good taste in her use of jewelry, never wearing too much of it. But tonight she wore an ostentatious display: a diamond necklace, earrings, rings and brooches. Her arms looked conspicuously bare by contrast. On her right wrist, as sole ornament, she wore the bracelet of Rearden Metal. The glittering gems made it look like an ugly piece of dime-store jewelry.
This is all the difference between Lillian telling people she disdains her husband’s new invention, and Lillian showing it—not to mention going out of her way to make the bracelet look cheap and ugly. Then again, the Lillian of the film can’t do anything but talk. Even her greeting to Dagny is characterless and catty. In the book, she and Dagny address each other as “Mrs Rearden” and “Miss Taggart”; in the film they’re on a first-name basis and and she’s so touchy-feely that I expected her to air-kiss Dagny.

Finally, the Lillian of the novel dislikes Francisco d’Anconia, which is one more indication that he’s actually one of the good guys. In the film, she greets him enthusiastically, which makes her look like one of his groupies and makes him look like just any other guest.

Hugh Akston

His first appearance in the novel is when he’s working in a diner, keeping it clean and cooking meals.

His first appearance in the film is when he’s leaning against a wall, smoking a cigarette. Like Francisco, he hasn’t shaved in a while, so maybe it’s a good thing he’s not preparing anyone’s food.

“Does this car get good mileage?” he says in answer to Dagny’s question about his young student.

“I’ve traveled a very long way to be here,” she tells him.

“Yeah,” drawls Akston, making me wonder if it’s actually a cigarette he’s smoking, “and you’ve got a long way to go, too.”

I can’t imagine this man successfully training a dog. As for the cigarette, the camera focuses on the dollar sign, but since the Akston of the film doesn’t bother offering Dagny a smoke, she doesn’t get to keep the cigarette butt, so I don’t know why the director even bothered with that shot.

Dagny Taggart

Ah, Dagny.

In the book, her first appearance is on a train—and not just any train, but the Taggart Comet, a nice bookend to the finishing scene where Eddie is on the Comet. She wakes up to realize the Comet has stalled for some reason, so she tells the engineer and fireman what to do. It’s only once she’s done so—showing her competence and authority—that they ask her name, and the readers learn it too.

In the film, her first scene is when she wakes up in a big apartment because her cell phone’s ringing, and her first action is to press a button to slide up the window screens. Woo, futuristic technology. I don’t think the movie even makes it clear that she’s the Vice-President in Charge of Operation.

It all goes downhill from there. She throws a drink in Francisco’s face, whereas the Dagny of the book would never have lost control to that extent. Then again, the Dagny of the book would never have hinted at prostituting herself to Francisco to finance the John Galt Line either. She’s a businesswoman, not an automaton who has no ideals or dreams in life other than running a railroad.

Finally, the Dagny of the book only treats Rearden’s marriage with levity once, and when she sees she’s hurt him, she regrets doing so. In the film, he’s quite happy about committing adultery, so she feels free to joke with him the morning after: “How scandalous. You’re a married man!” That’s not a line Dagny Taggart would ever say.

There are so many more issues—the pretzel-like twists the film makes to have the 1950’s action set in 2016, the utter cheesiness of the “Ragnar the Pirate” moniker (he sounds like the villain in “Sinbad the Sailor”), the fact that the only person of color is the assistant, the hodge-podge jamming-in of names from the novel without any attempt to put those people into any sort of context. I could go on and on. The only good scene is the first train going over the John Galt Line, and that can’t make up for the rest of the film. Atlas would have shrugged at this one, if it didn’t put him to sleep first.

Last edited:

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Oh, just wait 'til you've seen Part II of the movie. The cast is entirely different, and though I like Rearden a whole lot better, I'm even less a fan of Atlas Shrugged Part II Francisco. The second Dagny is far too soft as well, and seems bewildered quite a lot.

I really wanted these to be enjoyable movies; I know better than to expect a movie to be a direct take from the book, but there were times I wondered if the book had even been read by anybody involved.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer The Fountainhead myself. I loved the movie with Gary Cooper and Patricia Neal, who resembled Ayn Rand (although Ms. Neal was much prettier) and Raymond Massey made an excellent villain.

As for Atlas Shrugged this is one flick that never should have been made. I read most of Rand's novels years back, and while I'm in agreement with a lot of her philosophy, I don't agree with all of it.

Having said that, the film sucked. I found the characterizations not only different as the OP indicated, but poorly acted as well. The actress who played Dagny came across as a weak sort of airhead to me and not someone capable of managing a convenience store let alone a railroad line.

Any fans of Rand must be foaming at the mouth. I won't even bother watching Part II--who cares about the cast being different? This was strictly amateur hour.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've always felt Ayn Rand is a phase teens go through. It's part of rebelling.

Eventually, most of us move past that phase and get on with life.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Unbelievable, even when the adaptations keep losing money they will do Part III.

By the way, I don't agree with her philosophy but I respect the movie adaptation of The Fountainhead since it speaks about it with such passion and love that I end up feeling respect and even awe lf what a person can accomplish.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
We actually enjoyed Part One (haven't seen Part 2). It was what we expected and plenty of it: people spouting the most stilted lines of philosophy as dialogue (the part about the cooling system was quite mild compared to some of the lines about how altruism hurts everyone...).

We laughed and laughed. It was a comedy, right?

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Oh, just wait 'til you've seen Part II of the movie. The cast is entirely different, and though I like Rearden a whole lot better, I'm even less a fan of Atlas Shrugged Part II Francisco. The second Dagny is far too soft as well, and seems bewildered quite a lot.

I read a review which said Dagny Part II looked like a harried soccer mom, rather than like a polished lady executive.

I really wanted these to be enjoyable movies; I know better than to expect a movie to be a direct take from the book, but there were times I wondered if the book had even been read by anybody involved.

If I'd been in charge of making the film, I'd have cut out a lot of the bit players - Rearden's mother, his brother, Ivy Starnes, Paul Larkin, etc. There just wasn't room to shoehorn everyone into the movie and still develop the main characters.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Not a fan of Rand, either as a philosopher or writer, but at least the Gary Cooper movie of The Fountainhead was entertaining.

Some of the reviewers (of the Atlas Shrugged movies) seemed, more than anything else, confused by the idea of trains being important.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I read a review which said Dagny Part II looked like a harried soccer mom, rather than like a polished lady executive.

If I'd been in charge of making the film, I'd have cut out a lot of the bit players - Rearden's mother, his brother, Ivy Starnes, Paul Larkin, etc. There just wasn't room to shoehorn everyone into the movie and still develop the main characters.

Yes, I think "soccer mom" isn't too far off. Granted, I don't expect Dagny to be a doe-eyed, gamine thing in her twenties either, but there's a lot of ground to cover in between those two images.

I agree, the film could have been streamlined by cutting some of those other characters, and perhaps left room for some more of the plot to have remained intact.

Even if you aren't into her philosophy, Atlas Shrugged has a lot of (I feel) interesting elements to it. As a novel, I do enjoy The Fountainhead more (though I think We the Living is my favorite), because there is more story, and "living philosophy" as opposed to impromptu speeches. Showing, not telling? ;)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Even if you aren't into her philosophy, Atlas Shrugged has a lot of (I feel) interesting elements to it.

Agreed. I like the subtle buildup of the mystery in the novel, and that's another thing the film wasted. Right from the start, you see that there's an actual person going around talking to men who apparently disappear after a few minutes of conversation, with X-files-esque captions across the screen to underline this. A child could guess who John Galt was.

I also take a very vicarious pleasure in the descriptions of all the lovely things Rearden buys for Dagny. :)

As a novel, I do enjoy The Fountainhead more (though I think We the Living is my favorite), because there is more story, and "living philosophy" as opposed to impromptu speeches. Showing, not telling? ;)

I read We the Living, but it wasn't a keeper for me. One hell of a downer ending, too many mentions of fried millet and I couldn't stand Leo, especially after the way he treated Kira's sacrifice for him.

Have you read The Passion of Ayn Rand, by the way?

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agreed. I like the subtle buildup of the mystery in the novel, and that's another thing the film wasted. Right from the start, you see that there's an actual person going around talking to men who apparently disappear after a few minutes of conversation, with X-files-esque captions across the screen to underline this. A child could guess who John Galt was.

I also take a very vicarious pleasure in the descriptions of all the lovely things Rearden buys for Dagny. :)

I read We the Living, but it wasn't a keeper for me. One hell of a downer ending, too many mentions of fried millet and I couldn't stand Leo, especially after the way he treated Kira's sacrifice for him.

Have you read The Passion of Ayn Rand, by the way?

Atlas Shrugged Part II touches very slightly on Rearden buying stuff for Dagny, but that's something I really enjoyed too. I still have an image of that fur coat in my head.

I agree, I couldn't see how one would want to stay with Leo. I much preferred Andrei, but novels are positively littered with people making romantic choices that I don't agree with.

I have not read The Passion of Ayn Rand. Really, I've only read the fiction.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I have not read The Passion of Ayn Rand. Really, I've only read the fiction.

You might want to try her book The Art of Fiction - it's bluntly intolerant of certain tropes, techniques and other writers. :) Though she also analyzes her own work in some detail, showing why she wrote certain descriptions or dialogue the way she did, and I found those parts very interesting.