Demolitions expert?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

So I'm looking for a demolitions expert for a project I'm working on. The problem is that I'm an American living abroad, so I can't just walk into a building and ask.

I also wouldn't know who to ask or where to go. Basically I'd need to email back and forth with questions and scenarios. I'd be more than willing to pay, although I don't know how much it typically costs.

Can anyone tell me what type of person I should be looking for and perhaps make some suggestions as to how I'd find them?

I was thinking craigslist, but it seems shady. The story would be light on terminology as it's not a military thriller, but my MC is supposed to be really knowledgeable and so I don't want her using the wrong types of equiptment or slang and I want the outcomes to be plausible.

So if anyone can just point me in a general direction, that would be great. And if you can offer help, definitely PM me?

Thanks

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on how much detail you want for what kind of demolitions. If you want detailed information of how to destroy a building, then you would have trouble getting information, but there is a lot of information on what which explosive would do. For purposes of fictionyou don't want to include too much detail because it won't help the story.

Ask the general question here, and someone probably can point you somewhere.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing, I have tons of questions and don't want to crowd source on some an integral part of the story.

I'm more looking for suggestions on how to find a demolitions expert. Someone I can use as a primary resource throughout my project. I already hav plenty of manuals and know my stuff. But I want to run it by an expert.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Ecole des Mines de Paris
Etablissement Technique d'Angers (munitions)

-cb

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia is your friend.

If you stick with the common stuff such as C4, dynamite, gunpowder and black powder (actually energetic deflagrants), ammonium nitrate and fuel oil, you can find plenty of internet info.

Usage of those materials in actual explosive devices is where things become sticky. Those with first-hand knowledge will be leery of furnishing real-world information, no matter how good-looking the avatar. :D

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia is your friend.

If you stick with the common stuff such as C4, dynamite, gunpowder and black powder (actually energetic deflagrants), ammonium nitrate and fuel oil, you can find plenty of internet info.

Usage of those materials in actual explosive devices is where things become sticky. Those with first-hand knowledge will be leery of furnishing real-world information, no matter how good-looking the avatar. :D

Wikipedia is good for general info, not so much for specifics.

Hmmm I don't know how I didn't think of this, but I suppose you're right. I just have a lot of friends who have learned about guns by going to ranges and talking to professionals. I hadn't considered the whole "I will seem like a terrorist" angle.

I do like the idea of going to a school and perhaps speaking with someone who teaches. I didn't realize people learned ammunitions outside of the military.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are quite a few military demolition handbooks available. Anarchy web sites are a poor source of accuracy, but work to establish mind set. Ask an engineer how to demolish a building/bridge/etc. The guys that build them are certainly able to take them down.

Also, contact the embassy and explain what you're doing. They often have local reference resources they can recommend.

Jeff

ECathers

Amuck! Amuck! Amuck!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionrhod.com
Depending what you want demolished, you might also consider companies who demolish old buildings/skyscrapers. But again, you're going to have to work past the "I'm not a terrorist," issue.