• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

The subconscious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Does anyone know of a book that's like a guided exploration of what's in one's subconscious? Not one of these books about reprogramming the subconscious or harnessing its 'magical' power. Just a book of questions and/or prompts to guide you through figuring out what's currently in your subconscious, giving it an opportunity to talk to you?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Closest thing I've found so far to what I was looking for is Holly Lisle's lesson about Sweet Spot Mapping (a brainstorming/self-knowledge exercise).

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Meditation will also work. Or daydreaming in a silent room, staring out a window at a single object, or something in the room. Looking into a fireplace fire (the flames) as well.

Relax totally and let your mind wander where it will ...

vombatidae

Registered
Reaction score
Website
curiosity-abounds.blogspot.com
If you are familiar with the radio program Radio Lab, there was an episode where they were talking about creativity. Tom Waits had a neat approach - he talks to his muse. It's apparently a well-known method of his. Once when trying to rewrite a short story for the fourth time (the first three attempts were dreadful), I decided I had nothing to lose and tried it. I spoke out loud and and asked my muse what it wanted to show me. It actually worked.
I've used that trick a bunch of times now and have had great success with it. You could easily substitute something else of 'muse' depending on your goal. It's really just a trick to open yourself up to whatever comes.
It's not quite what you were asking for but I figured I'd put it out there anyway, just in case it's helpful.

Moonpetal

metalsmith and shaman
Registered
Reaction score
"Thinking Write: The Secret to Freeing Your Creative Mind" by Kelly L. Stone. Has loads of great exercises in it. Reminds me, I ought to give it another read.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Try "The Dark Side of Light Chasers" by Debbie Ford. I could have sworn I've read others, including Jung but I can't find them at the moment. I'll update if/when I do.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are looking for something in the psychoanalytic tradition, using the keyword "unconscious" will work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.