PDA

View Full Version : How much chocolate is enough chocolate?

Paul
03-31-2013, 03:10 AM
Well?

I'm of the 'til you get sick' school.

jennontheisland
03-31-2013, 03:10 AM
I'm not sure I am qualified to answer this question since I am currently drinking minichocolate chips out of a shot glass.

WriterTrek
03-31-2013, 03:21 AM
For me the answer is... one piece.

I don't get chocolate cravings that often, but when I do I'm usually happy with one piece. Maybe a Lindt Truffle, a Dove bite size, a small cup of hot cocoa, or a fancy chocolate cookie.

More than that though and I can't keep eating it. I'm lucky like that. ^^

Persei
03-31-2013, 03:25 AM
There is no limit

Cliff Face
03-31-2013, 03:29 AM
I only want to eat chocolate when I *see* chocolate. So if I don't see it, I don't crave it.

Of course, life being what it is, mum buys tonnes of chocolate so I see it every time I open the fridge, and of course the supermarkets have chocolate at every checkout...

Normally I can stop myself from eating any. Sometimes I have a little bit... Especially when I have a headache.

So for me, "Enough chocolate" is how much I ate growing up, and any more *now* is too much. :tongue

rhymegirl
03-31-2013, 03:36 AM
Thanks. Now I want chocolate.

There is never enough.

Ken
03-31-2013, 03:51 AM
... "the average American consumes 12 lbs of chocolate per year," according to the stats.
So anything more than that, I suppose.

jennontheisland
03-31-2013, 04:02 AM
... "the average American consumes 12 lbs of chocolate per year," according to the stats.
So anything more than that, I suppose.
I would rather be above average.

WriterTrek
03-31-2013, 04:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pYYVp1f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DlwzBZJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3C5p6s6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n8mMbu2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fw35SqR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ahV6I1.jpg

Ken
03-31-2013, 04:20 AM
I would rather be above average.

... no need for that.
Just relocate to Europe.
Folk there average 24 lbs of chocolate per year ;-)

ps Neat Treble Clef symbol on that last desert, Writer.
(Or is it dessert? Can never recall which is which. (2 S's or one?) A plate of sand wouldn't be nearly as appetizing, I fear.)

jjdebenedictis
03-31-2013, 04:37 AM
**looks at WriterTrek's post**

**drowns in a tsunami of saliva**

Persei
03-31-2013, 05:08 AM
WriterTrek why must you hurt me this way

I fancy chocolate but I'm not so sure I fancy the fact I have to pay 100 bucks for a box of Lactaid :(

Cella
03-31-2013, 05:17 AM
I can generally take or leave chocolate, but lately I have found that a dark chocolate + sea salt combination suit my fancy quite nicely.

Paul
03-31-2013, 05:24 AM
I can generally take or leave chocolate, but lately I have found that a dark chocolate + sea salt combination suit my fancy quite nicely.
em, the only person I know who had a craving for salt and dark chocolate, was a pregnant friend....

congrats!!!

:D

Started with a Tiramisu this morning....still craving....

DeleyanLee
03-31-2013, 05:31 AM
I generally want chocolate about three times a year and I'm satisfied with a half an Almond Joy for months on end. But, then again, I also don't crave cake or most sweets. I'm weird that way.

I just figure it this way--the less for me, the more for those who want it. ;)

IAMWRITER
03-31-2013, 05:53 AM
Sees WriterTrek's post => Looks for chocolate

jjdebenedictis
03-31-2013, 06:27 AM
I generally want chocolate about three times a year and I'm satisfied with a half an Almond Joy for months on end. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE I CAN'T EVEN

**deep breaths**

Hi, my name is JJ and I am a chocoholic. Last year, a doctor told me to steer clear of caffeine for "about a year". I managed to wean myself off tea--but chocolate? I...I haven't quite managed that, although I've mostly been good. Better, anyway. I'm counting down to the end of April when I can officially eat it again, guilt-free.

"Ebony" chocolate, 70% cocoa mass, with chili. Can't freakin' wait.

jennontheisland
03-31-2013, 06:44 AM
... no need for that.
Just relocate to Europe.
Folk there average 24 lbs of chocolate per year ;-)

ps Neat Treble Clef symbol on that last desert, Writer.
(Or is it dessert? Can never recall which is which. (2 S's or one?) A plate of sand wouldn't be nearly as appetizing, I fear.)
Even in Europe, I'd want to be above average.

And it's 2 s's because you always want seconds of dessert. ;)

Liralen
03-31-2013, 06:49 AM
I'm good with a little bit of GOOD chocolate, has to be dark at least, extra dark or bittersweet is better, 70% cacao or more, and if there's sea salt, orange, raspberry, coffee or any combination of those, or chilies even better.

Milk chocolate or that abomination known as "white chocolate" . . . just . . . NO.

bettielee
03-31-2013, 08:02 AM
There is never enough chocolate.

Jehhillenberg
03-31-2013, 08:41 AM
There is no limit

:)

Death Wizard
03-31-2013, 09:04 AM
I've never gotten the chocolate thing. I mean, it tastes good, but no better than a lot of other desserts. I go days and days without eating it. Now, white wine ........

Cliff Face
03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm good with a little bit of GOOD chocolate, has to be dark at least, extra dark or bittersweet is better, 70% cacao or more, and if there's sea salt, orange, raspberry, coffee or any combination of those, or chilies even better.

Milk chocolate or that abomination known as "white chocolate" . . . just . . . NO.

I used to love white chocolate... *hides*

Then again, I'm the sort of person who used to drink normal milk with nothing added to it. Like, as a kid, if I was given the option between plain milk and chocolate/strawberry/whatever milk, I'd go with plain nearly every time. *shrug*

Crayonz
03-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Seconded.

Then again, I'm the sort of person who used to drink normal milk with nothing added to it. Like, as a kid, if I was given the option between plain milk and chocolate/strawberry/whatever milk, I'd go with plain nearly every time. *shrug*
*still drinks plain milk even though she's not a kid anymore* :D

Cliff Face
03-31-2013, 12:22 PM
I went through a phase recently where I'd drink plain milk a lot. Then I lost the taste for it. *shrug*

RichardGarfinkle
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
The quality of the chocolate matters a lot. I don't just mean percentage of cocoa. Not all chocolate is alike. Good quality chocolate is satisfying. One can eat relatively small amounts of it and feel good and satisfied.

Bad chocolate just intensifies the longing for good chocolate and leads to binges of the stuff leaving a sad figure sitting forlorn among the candy wrappers twitching with sugar and need sobbing out to a desperate lonely univese for more.

Um, hypothetically speaking, of course.

Ken
03-31-2013, 03:59 PM

And it's 2 s's because you always want seconds of dessert. ;)

... good mnemonic device there :-)

To get an idea of how much 24 lbs would be I checked on amazon.
Here's a one pound bar:

http://www.amazon.com/Hersheys-Milk-Chocolate-Bar-1-Pound/dp/B004N5MDPI

Doesn't really give much of an idea in terms of quantity.
Price is something though. $20. And this is Hershey's,
which is probably the cheaper of chocolates.

24 lbs would set one back almost $480.
That's a lot of jack!

moreferarum
03-31-2013, 04:18 PM
I just went to get some chocolate after reading this, especially seeing those pictures. I love chocolate and always have but I'm not a fan of white chocolate at all.

$480 is crazy! The sum of everyone paying that amount is insane, I wonder how much we spend on chocolate in the UK!

Barbara R.
03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Writertrek, there was no need for that. Shame on you!

Barbara, off to find some chocolate cake

Liralen
03-31-2013, 07:25 PM
You're right, Ken. Hersheys fits in Richard's second paragraph ;)

Lavern08
03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
I'll crave a Mounds bar or a Hershey with Almonds every now and then, but I'm not a big chocolate fan either - And what's that nasty thing called white chocolate all about? :Shrug:

Now you wanna talk craving and obsession? Let's talk about ice cream or pie. :D

jjdebenedictis
03-31-2013, 10:42 PM
I've never gotten the chocolate thing. I mean, it tastes good, but no better than a lot of other desserts. See, there may be a biological reason for that.

In general (and this is very general--there's a lot of variation from person to person), women have a more sensitive sense of taste when it comes to bitter things than men do.

This may be why men (on average) often like bitter ales and women (on average) don't as much. To women, beer often tastes just a little too bitter.

And it may be why women (on average) go mad for chocolate and men (on average) don't as much. To men, it's a sweet treat and thus perfectly acceptable, while to women, it's this heavenly combination of bitter and sweet together.

What one person senses isn't necessarily the same as what the next person does. Humans are messy organic system, and there's nothing stopping one person from having different ratios of tastebuds on their tongue, or from having their tongue's nerves wired slightly differently to the pleasure centres of their brain.

But I tell ya, dude, if your stunted tastebuds don't love chocolate, then you are so missing out. ;)

Liralen
03-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Part of why so many of us love chocolate ;)

THE NEUROCHEMISTRY OF SEX
By Walter Last

Orgasm is generally regarded as the ultimate goal of recreational sex. Wilhelm Reich was the first scientist to describe the nature and purpose of the orgasm as a discharge of excess bio-energy with the additional liberation of feeling energy, and he also recognized the negative consequences of blocked sexual energies.

Unfortunately, in addition to exciting peaks, orgasms tend to produce powerful negative side-effects that are only now becoming better understood. This is due to predictable trends in hormonal activity which seem to be similar in all mammals to ensure certain evolutionary objectives, especially the wide mixing of gene pools and the safe raising of offspring. This is achieved with the following neurochemical changes.

The main players are dopamine, the reward hormone; prolactin, the hormone of satiation; oxytocin, the cuddle hormone, and levels of androgen receptors, which all powerfully affect our mood, our desire for intimacy, our perception of our mate, as well as our susceptibility to addictive activities and substances. These hormones can also have different but generally related functions.

Additionally the stimulant phenylethylamine (PEA) is involved, which is also present in cocoa and chocolate and elevates energy, mood and attention. PEA is produced in greater amounts when one is in love; conversely a deficiency (common in manic-depressives) causes unhappy feelings.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/neurosex.html

Paul
04-01-2013, 01:03 AM
so it's sex or chocolate?

hmmmm.

toughy.

jennontheisland
04-01-2013, 01:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

Cliff Face
04-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Remember kids: Always wear a condom when eating chocolate.

*nods sagely*

Liralen
04-01-2013, 03:01 AM
so it's sex or chocolate?

hmmmm.

toughy.

Hmmmm . . . maybe not? http://youtu.be/-KT-r2vHeMM

Paul
04-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

But then you wouldn't know where the buzz was coming from...

Which means you might run low on chocolate, perceiving it to be unnecessary...

Resulting in a glut of sex.

Still...

Ken
04-01-2013, 04:40 AM
Wilhelm Reich was the first scientist to describe the nature and purpose of the orgasm as a discharge of excess bio-energy with the additional liberation of feeling energy, and he also recognized the negative consequences of blocked sexual energies.

... pretty interesting. Not sure what bio-energy is or feeling energy, but have a general sense of what is meant. So is chocolate a substitute for sex? May have to stock up :-)

Death Wizard
04-01-2013, 05:50 AM
See, there may be a biological reason for that.

In general (and this is very general--there's a lot of variation from person to person), women have a more sensitive sense of taste when it comes to bitter things than men do.

This may be why men (on average) often like bitter ales and women (on average) don't as much. To women, beer often tastes just a little too bitter.

And it may be why women (on average) go mad for chocolate and men (on average) don't as much. To men, it's a sweet treat and thus perfectly acceptable, while to women, it's this heavenly combination of bitter and sweet together.

What one person senses isn't necessarily the same as what the next person does. Humans are messy organic system, and there's nothing stopping one person from having different ratios of tastebuds on their tongue, or from having their tongue's nerves wired slightly differently to the pleasure centres of their brain.

But I tell ya, dude, if your stunted tastebuds don't love chocolate, then you are so missing out. ;)

They're not stunted to all tastes. :)

Cella
04-01-2013, 06:06 AM
em, the only person I know who had a craving for salt and dark chocolate, was a pregnant friend....

congrats!!!

So I'm either pregnant or a man. Both scenarios are equally unsettling.

... pretty interesting. Not sure what bio-energy is or feeling energy, but have a general sense of what is meant. So is chocolate a substitute for sex? May have to stock up :-)

*hands Ken a tissue*

Here, you....you've got a little bio-energy just to the left there...

;)

Ken
04-01-2013, 03:26 PM
*hands Ken a tissue*

Here, you....you've got a little bio-energy just to the left there...

;)

... thanks pal. Gotta look sharp on AW.
Good to know you got me covered ;-)

ps Yep. You must be "pregnant" -- with ideas!
So get to writin' :-)