PDA

View Full Version : Question!!

DamaNegra
02-06-2006, 09:30 PM
This has been asked on the novels forum, however I have the same question and I thought I would get better feedback on this forum.

After reading Cathy's lectures, I've determined that my WIP is a historical romantic suspense (?????????) because it is suspense, set on the IV Century, has a romance between the two MC's that drives most of the plot (though not all of it) and has a HEA.

However, the heroine doesn't meet her guy at first, there are other things driving the story at that point. When she does meet him, it's not love at first sight, but love begins to grow between them. After this love appears, it will drive most of the story from then on, including the things that happened prior to them meeting each other.

However, the main point of the story is not the romance (I think), but the circumnstances that surround the two MC's and the dangers they have to go through because of who they are and yes, the love they feel towards each other.

Does this still qualify as a romantic novel? Is it still marketable as a romantic novel?

Crinklish
02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
DamaNegra, have you considered classifying your ms. as simply "historical fiction"? It sounds to me like it's not romance, per se, because the romance isn't the point of the story though it's still an important plot. And that leaves open a lot of room to include both romance and suspense plot elements. It does require that your historical detail and research be top-notch, and generally the prose leans a bit more to the literary side than that of a historical romance.

DamaNegra
02-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Hmmm, food for thought. I'll have to look into it once the MS is finished, though. I have it all outlined and the outcome of the story is directly linked to the romance, as most of the hardships the MC's will have to go through after the romance is started. That's why I thought it could classify as romance.

Susan Gable
02-07-2006, 03:28 AM
Miss Snark has an interesting discussion today about this sort of thing. Go to her website and scroll down to find "No More Spinach for You, Miss Popeye."

http://misssnark.blogspot.com/

Susan G.

DamaNegra
02-07-2006, 05:36 AM
Wow thanks!! Just what I was looking for!! :)

veinglory
02-10-2006, 09:32 PM
It sounds like it might be in the vicinity of 'saga'?