PDA

View Full Version : Real life's fiction friction

Calliea
03-29-2013, 03:13 AM
[thread name makes little sense, I know, but I kinda felt I had to write fiction friction just because]

When you watch a TV show, read a book, watch a movie or even an anime, do you happen to encounter characters/themes that just make you double-take? That feel like it's YOU, but not the YOU that you show, create, want to be, but the other side - your struggles, your problems, things about yourself that you hesitate to admit, refuse to deal with and in some cases didn't even realize before?

How do you feel then? Do you act on it? Do you take these as a kick to get your shit together and fix whatever's wrong? Or do you feel threatened, exposed or simply apathetic towards the whole thing?

If you do, what was the last thing that got you? If you dare say ;)

Cliff Face
03-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Probably the first character I saw myself in was Xander from Buffy. Not his entire character, but his particular sense of humour and inability to talk to women / ask them out / choose partners who were good for him.

I don't think I've really dealt with those issues, though. Well, my sense of humour caused me to write my first novel, yes, but I still can't seem to ask women out. Like, if I'm attracted to them, I suddenly have a hard time concentrating on saying anything smart, or at all, and pretty much nothing comes of it.

More recently, there was an amalgam of characters in The Big Bang Theory. Partly because of my interest in physics, but also because of Sheldon being an exact pedant and Leonard getting fed up with people's bullshit.

That one I am working on a bit... Or at least, I'm getting less annoyed by bullshit than I used to. Hooray!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Several years ago Ol' Boy and I were on the road and I was reading 'The Dark Half' by Stephen King... in it, IIRC, there's a one-sentence chapter that asks, 'Who am I when I write?'

When I read that sentence, I couldn't help but close the book and reflect on that question. It might not have been the first time I contemplated the path that had chosen me, but it was - by far and away - the most clearly, concisely distilled confrontation I'd had with myself both to that day and to this.

I could only conclude that I was not then and am not now myself when I write; and Ol' Boy heartily agrees.

Cliff Face
03-29-2013, 03:30 AM
So who are you when you're writing, then?

Stephen King? Susan Sarandon? Danny Glover? Estee Lauder?

Curious minds want to know! :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-29-2013, 04:54 AM
Apparently I become one of my characters... and her name is usually 'Carolyn', sometimes 'Lydia'. ;)

Cliff Face
03-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Carolydian if it's a fantasy novel. ;)

KellyAssauer
03-29-2013, 01:32 PM
When you watch a TV show, read a book, watch a movie or even an anime, do you happen to encounter characters/themes that.... feel like it's YOU...

Nope. Hasn't happened yet.
Blame it on a shortage of loony MC's...