• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for beta reader for Multicultural Emma/Pride and Prejudice

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkhlasHussain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a beta reader for my novel AISHA, which falls in the women's fiction category. It's approximately 82,000 words, and contains themes of marriage, multiculturalism, and race.

The synopsis is as follows:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a Pakistani girl, between the ages of twenty and twenty-five, is in desperate need of a husband.

Twenty-two year old Aisha Ali doesn’t believe in love. Or dating. What she does believe in is arranged marriage, and that’s exactly what she does at The Islamic Marriage Bureau: she matches people up. But when Adam Swift, a recent Muslim convert from Toronto, comes to small town Windsor Bay, Aisha’s views on men and marriage get shaken up.

Adam has no problem challenging Aisha’s beliefs. Or questioning her methods. Especially when he’s convinced that matching handsome Yusuf and timid Halima is not the best thing to do, despite Aisha’s claims that they’re a match made in heaven. Only after breaking a few hearts and ruining a potential relationship does Aisha learn her lesson.

But all of Aisha’s newfound revelations disappear instantly when Adam proposes and she rejects him in the same breath. (She’s of Pakistani origin. He’s not. What would the aunties say?) Adam’s proposal forces Aisha to confront her prejudices, as she struggles to accept the man that her community never will. Torn between her Western upbringing and Eastern culture, Aisha sets out to change cultural expectations and maybe find herself along the way.

I've recently undergone a massive revision, during which I went from 113,000 words to the present 82,000 words with the help of my (amazing) beta. Thus, I need help in ensuring that the story is smooth and makes sense. I'm not looking for line edits, but notes on character development, themes, and consistency.

If you're interested, please feel free to reply to this thread or message me.

Thanks so much! :)

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to give this manuscript the thumbs up and recommend it as a beta read that's more fun than work :)
The idea behind the story is simply awesome, and the manuscript is a well-written, really interesting and fun dive into the trials and tribulations of crosscultural expectations.

IkhlasHussain

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to give this manuscript the thumbs up and recommend it as a beta read that's more fun than work :)
The idea behind the story is simply awesome, and the manuscript is a well-written, really interesting and fun dive into the trials and tribulations of crosscultural expectations.

Thank you for your kind words!! :) :) :)

nerdyglam

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a really fun book. If you don't mind an inexperienced beta reader, pm me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.