PDA

View Full Version : I love this guy.

nickthird
03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
His command of the English language is vexing, yet original. I wonder what would have come of him had he been born in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozxY6V-vx-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0Re7gJBb8

Silver King
03-27-2013, 04:25 AM
His command of the English language is vexing, yet original. I wonder what would have come of him had he been born in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozxY6V-vx-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0Re7gJBb8

I'm not sure what your point is, nick; but I'm certain you have some idea how difficult it is to master the English language, even for English speaking folks, let alone those who grew up speaking a different language?

Amadan
03-27-2013, 04:34 AM
Har har har let's make fun of non-native English speakers.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Vito
03-27-2013, 04:47 AM
I wonder what would have come of him had he been born in the US.

If he had been born in the U.S., he'd probably be talking about the TV game show "Splash" instead of talking about fuel subsidies. Mostly he'd be talking about how Louie Anderson weighs 417 pounds and Kendra Wilkinson weighs 117 pounds. That's a mind-blowing coincidence! It's kind of spooky, when you think about it. :scared:

Silver King
03-27-2013, 05:05 AM
I didn't have any trouble understanding the speaker except when it seemed he fell back on his native tongue a couple of times without meaning to. That's to be expected though during public speeches, and even in casual conversations.

I trust nick didn't mean to make fun of the subject and will be along anytime now to reveal the true meaning of this thread.

jjdebenedictis
03-27-2013, 07:31 AM
You'd be amazed how many people on these boards weren't born in the US. Got love for us too, Nick?

evilrooster
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm in the process of learning another language, and one of the hardest parts is having the courage to speak it imperfectly. It's a necessary step on the road to speaking it well, but it's hard. I know I sound awful to native speakers. I know I unconsciously lapse into English at times.

I'm lucky -- I live in a country where the majority of the people are multilingual, and know how difficult it is to do what I'm trying to do. They're generally encouraging and patient, willing to slow down and speak clearly when I don't get things, and supply words for me when I'm struggling. I return the favor when they speak English to me (though their English is often very, very good).

Those conversations are much more pleasant, constructive and instructive than they would be if people stood around and sneered at my efforts to communicate.

nickthird
03-28-2013, 03:11 AM
English is not my first language. And I like this person. He is hardly struggling to learn English. He intentionally uses words that are inappropriate for a member of parliament - I think in Nigeria, where the majority of the population (including other members of parliament) cannot comprehend what he is saying.

I didn't have any trouble understanding the speaker except when it seemed he fell back on his native tongue a couple of times without meaning to.
He did not fall back on his native.

It seems he reads a lot but has no one to practice speaking with. There is nothing funny about that. However, considering his position and particular selection of wording, I find the situation comical. I also appreciate his original style. I just think he is an interesting person, thats all.

Silver King
03-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Thank you for clarifying your position, nick, which wasn't apparent in your original post.

I'm struggling to understand how you would know the speaker intentionally uses words that are inappropriate for a member of parliament.

Perhaps you could give us examples of such usage, along with their actual meaning versus the intent of the speaker, so that we can better appreciate the video clip.

nickthird
03-28-2013, 10:09 PM
how you would know the speaker intentionally uses words that are inappropriate for a member of parliament
Well here is a quote for example (I'm not the one quoting so I don't know what he meant):

"A celebration of democracy or a deprecable apotheosis of an hemorrhaging plutocracy, cascading into a mobocracy with all the ossifying proclivities of a kakistocracy? With our "democracy" enveloped in a paraplegic crinkum-crankum, we must all rise up to bring to focal hiceps and biceps, Nigeria's "Pluto-mobo-kakistocracy".... Certainly not democracy!"

"I have read with acatalectic disgust, governments asinine and puerile ratiocinations attempting to justiceate the proposed removal of subsidies from petroleum products. It has asseverated that itís intentions is guided by the need to checkmate the odoriferous excesses of a machiavellian and mephistophelean cabal and I have said to myself, what a shame? What a self indicting admittal of the failure of governance? What an hocus-pocus?"