Writing Prompts

LoganC.

Rothfussian
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all you Flash Fiction fanatics,

I am new here, as you can tell from my low low post numbers :). One of my favorite authors does a weekly podcast called Writing Excuses. (Shameless plug: www.writingexcuses.com) where he and some of his friends, published authors all, and periodic guests talk about all aspects of writing. One of the things they do every podcast is a writing prompt, to get their listeners (mostly aspiring authors) to keep writing. Each week their prompt is usually based on something they mentioned in the podcast. I thought it would be fun to do one here in these forums. Each week I (or any of you if you have a good idea for a prompt you feel like sharing) will give a writing prompt. I think it would be fun and interesting to see what we all come up with using the same prompt.

Some ground rules. Since this is the flash fiction forum, 1000 words or less. In addition to a topic or prompt, I may give guidelines or twists to help fuel our creativity. Each monday I will add another writing prompt (well I'll do my best to make it the same day everyday) unless another poster has already written a prompt for that week. I personally will try to have my flash piece done by saturday or so, in order to give others a chance to critique the piece before the next round.

Hopefully many of you will enjoy this idea and participate. The writing prompt for this week:
You hear a knock on your door, on your doorstep is a box. Although its not raining the box is wet and drooping.

That's it. I hope you enjoy.

~Logan

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Logan. Welcome to the Flash Fiction forums. It's good that you're keen and you want to participate here. You should take a peek through this forum, though. If you had, then you may have noticed one of the stickies: A Year of Writing Flash Fiction. This is a thread that has weekly prompts, given by my fellow mod, Sophia, who is really great.

As such, we don't want to confuse anyone, and we'll stick to just the one thread for a weekly challenge/prompt contest.

LoganC.

Rothfussian
Registered
Reaction score
I did not see that particular thread. Sorry. Please feel free to delete this one, I'll check the other thread out. Thanks.

~Logan

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Having discussed this idea with Sophia, we are going to allow this thread. Prompts are good, and anything to get us writing is good. So, who is going to be first with this prompt, then?

Good luck.

LoganC.

Rothfussian
Registered
Reaction score
Well in that case I suppose I'll start it off. I'm shocked to find that I actually have trouble staying UNDER the limit. I am working on a wet package story and hope to have it up by friday or saturday.

Revising is doing wonders for me, in that I have to go through the sentences I've written and cut out all the unneeded words. I've found it makes some of my sentences MUCH stronger.

Anyone else interested is free to join in as well!

~Logan

LoganC.

Rothfussian
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jed, I promise eventually I will start posting things appropriately :)

To everyone else stay tuned fro more writing prompts!

~Logan

LoganC.

Rothfussian
Registered
Reaction score
Prompt 2

Hey everyone, it's Monday again. Time for a writing prompt!! This week's prompt has to do with storytelling classics.

Re-tell the story of the 3 little pigs, without the use of any animals whatsoever.

Ready? Go!

LoganC.

Rothfussian
Registered
Reaction score
Prompt 3

Hello again! Another monday, another prompt.

This week, think of an animal that is all but impossible to use as transport. Then, write a world where that is the only feasible means of transportation.

Good luck!

~Logan