Do We Need to Identify With the Protagonist to Enjoy a Novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
This essay on HuffPo by professor Evan Gottlieb makes a thought provoking point that it is not imperative for all main characters to be likable, even though there seems to be a demand for that.

This last paragraph sums it up:

And so we return to the question of whether fictional protagonists need to be relatable in order for readers to enjoy ourselves. If relatable merely means likable, then I think the answer is no: many classic fictional heroes and heroines, including Catherine Earnshaw in Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights and Rodion Raskolnikov in Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, are not particularly likable. But if we expand our definition of "relatable" to mean psychologically plausible, then I think the answer is yes. We may not always like, or even approve of, fictional protagonists like selfish Catherine and obsessive Raskolnikov. But I think we have much to gain from learning to recognize reflections of ourselves in them, even -- or perhaps especially -- when we want to deny any resemblances. There are, of course, many other good reasons to read literature: for entertainment, for instruction, for inspiration. But from the 18th century onward, novels have shown themselves to be remarkably effective, durable technologies for encouraging us to extend our understanding to others, no matter how different or unlikable they might initially appear. And if that isn't a good reason to pick up a good book, then I don't know what is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/evan-gottlieb/book-protagonist_b_2918131.html?utm_hp_ref=books

I think he has a very good point that the protagonist doesn't have to be likable or even relatable for a book to be good. There is more to a book than the protagonist. And also, I don't think making the MC likable is being true to human nature. Meaning, we all have flaws and we all do dumb or nasty things, and not everyone is black and white.

However, there were times I got annoyed with a book, or even a movie, when I didn't like the MC. Scarlett O'Hara annoyed me a great deal, but I wouldn't brush off Gone With The Wind as terrible altogether. I had trouble reading the last book I read, Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey because the MC, Phedre, annoyed me but then again she wasn't written well.

So I don't think it's imperative for all protagonists to be likable or even relatable, but at least tolerable. Then again, I don't think it's right to judge a character based on what you would do or wouldn't do in their situation. It's just sounds self-centered to me. Maybe I'm wrong :)

Thoughts?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to relate to somebody.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Must at least be convincing or plausible to me. If I really don't like them, I still need to find them as a source of fascination or intense curiosity.

But when it comes right down to it, yes, I'd love to see readers identify and like (root for) my protag character. Some of the most prominent rejections from agents and publishers I've seen is "Didn't click with the MC."

Which means I do play the safe road, which is the road I like best.
tri

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This might sound odd, but a lot of my favorite characters are people I would truly dislike if I met them in real life. Even the favorite character I've written would fall into this category (he's completely untrustworthy). My qualifications for like/dislike are different when real people aren't getting hurt by actions.

I think that for me, though, there needs to be something I can sympathize or understand. I started reading a book a while back and the characters in it just seemed like they were all terrible people, and they continued to get worse to the point that I put the book down. There might have been some redeeming factor later on, but I'm afraid that it's just watching people be horrible people for the sake of being horrible.

If I can understand why someone does something horrible, or if there is some spark in there that shows there is something good in the person, I can get behind them, and even like them as a character, even if their actions are pretty atrocious.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I like it if the main character has a quality I admire, and a goal he or she works towards. So I didn't identify with the assassin in The Day of the Jackal, but he'd accepted a difficult job and he was both resourceful and determined enough to carry it out. That hooked me.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Must at least be convincing or plausible to me. If I really don't like them, I still need to find them as a source of fascination or intense curiosity.

Gone Girl is a great example of this. I pretty much despised all of the characters in that novel, but man, were they fascinating!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The characters need to be plausible at least to the extent that reader isn't saying "WTF? The author just pulled that out of his ass!" Beyond that the characters need to be interesting.

"Likeable"? "Relatable"? If you want to think about them that way, fine. Not necessary, though. "Interesting" is far more imporatant.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It may be a subtle difference, but I need to empathize with the protagonist. I can dislike him, even hate him. I can think he's a fool or an idiot, but if I can empathize with the reasons he's the way he is, I'm fine.

I don't need to relate to the protagonist, but I do need to be able to say to myself, "Under those circumstances, I might do the same thing" , it's the kind of protagonist I can enjoy. Or, "If I were raised the way he was, I might act the same way", it's the kind of protagonist I can enjoy.

Lexxie

Avid reader and lover of fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
unconventionalbookviews.com
I need to feel some kind of connection to at least one of the main characters in a book I'm reading. That doesn't mean I have to like them, but I feel like there should be some kind of understanding why they do what they do. Even if there are only aliens, no humans, I have to 'get' them to enjoy them. If I enjoy the characters, I want to know more about them - and so, most of the time, I enjoy the book, too.

xamich

Sescha Young
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seschayoung.blogspot.ca
Personally if the writing is particularly fantastic, or the book is about a topic/theme that can really grab my attention, no. I think I've read some books where the MC was the villian, and I've enjoyed them. But I think these are the exceptions to the rule.

My general go-to genre for easy reading is urban fantasy, and I find here I do need to like the MC. Many times I've picked up books where the plot, premise, world building and unique twist in the genre is FANTASTIC but I just could't stand the MC. I don't need to relate to them or identify with who they are, but I do need to like the voice enough to continue reading without being put off.

Guinea

Registered
Reaction score
I rarely like MC's, but the characters around them are the ones I tend to fall for. This goes for HP too (an overly used example but we've all read it and can all relate). I wanted to slap Harry most of the time, but I adored the characters around him, even the baddies. And if there's a great plot then the MC almost becomes a narrator for me. I am seeing everything through their eyes, but don't necessarily have to like them or even relate to them.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have to identify with anyone in a fiction. I do have to be interested in him or her, or it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. I should have thought for a second before using the word 'relate'.

The characters need to be plausible at least to the extent that reader isn't saying "WTF? The author just pulled that out of his ass!" Beyond that the characters need to be interesting.

"Likeable"? "Relatable"? If you want to think about them that way, fine. Not necessary, though. "Interesting" is far more imporatant.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I agree, too.

Interesting and plausible. I don't have to like them. In fact, I prefer (and create) protagonists who are less than likeable; sometimes, downright unlikeable. Flawed. They've messed up, or they're in one hell of a mess.

And the plot is plausible and interesting. And the writing is really good. And. . .

:)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have to identify with anyone in a fiction. I do have to be interested in him or her, or it.
3rding (4thing, 5thing?) this. Some of my favorite fictional characters are total sociopaths, but they're fascinating and that's what matters.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, if I can't relate to them (different than a likeable/unlikeable concept) then I'm certainly not going to read about them.

Jeff

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have to like them, but I have to not actively loathe them.

There was a book I read some time back, where main character was a violent psychopath and his rapes and mutilations were described in what I can only say was loving detail. Anyhow, he went off on his big fantasy quest (which would ultimately give him greater power and greater ability to hurt others) and I absolutely did not give a shit. I wanted him to die. Of course he didn't. There wasn't a single attractive thing about him, nor could I understand anything he did - there was no reason for his multitude of horrible acts other than he was of this fantasy race that was "born evil" and stayed that way.

It was pulp rubbish, of course, with nary a pretense of being literature, but it was the worst character fail I'd seen in a long time and it poisoned the entire thing.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Hm. Guess I'm off in my own little corner because yes, actually, I do have to like them in order to read the book. I rarely finish a book if I can't find something to like about the MC.

Yes, I mean like, rather than relate.

If I find the MC intolerable, the cast of secondary characters needs to be infinitely more likable to make up for it. I honestly can't think of the last book I read like this, though.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gone Girl is a great example of this. I pretty much despised all of the characters in that novel, but man, were they fascinating!

I immediately thought of Gone Girl too! And Kite Runner. I didn't like or relate with any of the characters in both books, but I couldn't put them down. The characters were too rich and interesting to leave behind.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Different people read different books in different ways.

Different authors write different books for different reasons.

Write your book. Find a publisher. Find your audience.

Be true to yourself.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
If I find the MC intolerable, the cast of secondary characters needs to be infinitely more likable to make up for it. I honestly can't think of the last book I read like this, though.

This was part of my experience reading Kushiel's Chosen. I couldn't stand the MC and thought she had few likable traits. I thought about putting the book down a few times. But I wanted to know about the antagonist and the adventure that came later, so it made the reading better - even though I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes. In the end, I gave the book 3/5 stars.

Different people read different books in different ways.

Different authors write different books for different reasons.

Write your book. Find a publisher. Find your audience.

Be true to yourself.

Wise, honest words as always. :cool:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to write characters that readers can identify with, though that doesn't mean the characters have to be perfect shining examples of humanity. Even generally horrible people can be relatable if they're written the right way, if the author gives them some redeeming qualities. You won't find many people in real life who don't have some redeemable qualities.

For example, one of the viewpoint characters in my epic fantasy series starts out as a complete jerk, but even he still shows glimmers of humanity, mostly in the fact that he does have some honor.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Guess I'm off in my own little corner because yes, actually, I do have to like them in order to read the book. I rarely finish a book if I can't find something to like about the MC.

Yes, I mean like, rather than relate.

Same here. This is one of the most frequent reasons I cite for not enjoying a book. If I don't like them, I just don't care what happens. This, of course, doesn't mean they can't be flawed. They can be messed up, too. But they need to have some sort of redeeming quality that isn't merely cleverness or intelligence. Being interesting is worthless to me if the character is completely unlikable. If I have reason to believe the character will change, I can put up with a little more.

Also: Ignoring my specific preferences, there are genre considerations. Interesting but unlikable MCs are likely going to be a problem if it's a romance.

Status
Not open for further replies.