Corporate Espionage

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I solemnly swear this is all for the sake of fiction and I, in no way, plan to execute corporate espionage in the foreseeable future. :)

Here's the skinny:

My protagonist needs to tail a character that is being secretly paid by a corporation to sabotage its opponent.

The problem is that my current understanding of corporate espionage is that, when it happens in real life, it's a much more long-term endeavour that probably involves discrepancies in paperwork and federal law, which doesn't make for thrilling fiction to teenagers (though I'm sure it could be accessed in a criminal drama).

I want the protagonist to discover this character while they're performing a single, illicit task. The character's guilt needs to be immediate and unambiguous without straying into implausible territory. I can think of a few long term strategies to topple a corporation, but I need a single incident that would justify ongoing surveillance.

So the question I need to answer is, "what sort of visibly illegal (or at least potentially immoral) single tasks are required to pull off corporate espionage?"

There are a few obvious routes, like murdering the CEO--but I want to see if anyone's heard of other cases in the news that might contain or refer to a single incident which would make a private eye go "gee, I better skip sleep tonight and keep following this guy."

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Making/sending copies of confidential internal documents is a big one. Esp. if doing it requires use of a password/dongle/secured workstation that the character isn't supposed to have access to.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the nature of your corporation, of course, but I'd say a guy going into any kind of a food-processing plant with a cage of rodents would bear watching.
As for documents, wouldn't even have to be e-documents (hard to spot unless you're inside). Could be sneaking out boxes of documents at midnight. For that matter, sneaking boxes in at midnight would be suspicious.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Most corporate espionage these days seems to be about unauthorised access to computers, allowing the spy to download sensitive information. Let's say the information is the blueprint for a new computer chip or perhaps some novel chemical or pharmaceutical process which hasn't yet been patented.

Wikipedia suggests one method people use is the 'bag-op': someone sneaks into your hotel room or your checked luggage while you're somewhere else and plunders your laptop. So you might tail your spy to a hotel where he meets with an employee and gets a keycard to a particular room that isn't his own.

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note. Industrial or corporate espionage generally doesn't include overtly violent acts. It mainly involves theft of sensitive material.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Another part of the equation that you might want to consider is someone going rogue and selling faulty or incomplete information to a competitor. This was what caused the Capacitor Plague a decade ago. In this case, you have a tailer looking to see if he meets anyone in a conspicuous manner and report his findings. In this case, if he rifles in the tailee's laptop or phone, he is looking for contact information and any logs of communications.