PDA

View Full Version : Australian television (1970 to early 80s)

eyeblink
03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
A question probably best answered by Australians of a (ahem) certain age...

This is for a story I'm working on. My character would have been born in Australia (specifically Melbourne) around 1963/64 and left for the UK to go to University in the early 80s and stayed in England.

What I'm after are some television programmes she would remember watching growing up, so that would be children's shows in the 70s, more grown-up stuff in the late 70s and early 80s. I'm particularly interested in stuff which would have been popular in Australia but wouldn't have been shown in the UK. Most of what I can think of are obvious things like Skippy, originally shown 1966-1968 so a bit early for my purposes, but was it repeated over the years? I know that Doctor Who showed in Australia from 1965 onwards, though some episodes were cut and some stories not shown at all, because of the local censor.

I do have (in my Australian film/TV reference library) a copy of Scott Murray's Australia on the Small Screen, but that has mostly details of TV movies and miniseries rather than drama or comedy shows, for example.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I'm also aware that Australia didn't get colour television until 1975. Around when would it be more likely that an average family would have a colour set rather than a black and white one? (By comparison, the UK started colour broadcasting in 1967 (BBC2) and 1969 (BBC1 and ITV) but colour sets were in a minority until the early/mid 70s at least - my family didn't get one until 1973.)

Thanks in advance!

bellabar
03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
We got our first colour television in 1981 so that Mum could watch the royal wedding! I think that was probably quite a bit later than when the signal was actually available.
I'm afraid I was still into play school etc for the time period you are talking about but shows that might be worth googling could include the Sullivans, A country practice and Prisoner on the commercial channels or the Goodies, Doctor Who, and Kenny Everett on the abc. And of course Countdown, I think that was probably watched by the entire population for a few years.

eyeblink
03-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks, bellabar!

Countdown would be a good one, having just looked it up - it sounds like the Aussie equivalent of the UK's Top of the Pops. That would fit in very well, as my character is a Spiderbait fan - a band which was and is quite big in Australia but is completely unknown in the UK.

I used to watch The Goodies and Kenny Everett myself. I'm pretty sure that the dramas you mention all showed in the UK though. Certainly Prisoner did: it was retitled Prisoner: Cell Block H and had quite a camp/cult following here.

cbenoi1
03-24-2013, 05:12 PM
What? No Skippy the Bush Kangaroo?

-cb

mccardey
03-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Number 96 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_96_(TV_series))for the seventies. (72-77) Huge hit - controversial, banned in many houses (including ours. My big sister used to get baby-sitting jobs so she could watch it.)

Batman, Gilligan's Island, Hogans Heroes are names I remember from around the 60s... The Mickey Mouse Club (with Annette Funicello) was a big hit late 60s as I recall.Also I think Young Talent Time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Talent_Time) was that vintage?

A lot of us *blush* were addicted to a radio show called The Argonauts Club in about 1968-69. That one finished in 1972, so your MC might have just squeaked it in. It tended to be the province of children who later grew up to be writers. Not so much of a hit with the sporty set.

ETA There was a fairy short-lived show called Catch Kandy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_Kandy) in the early 70s - my little sister loved it.

French Maiden
03-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Hey Hey It's Saturday was a kids morning program before it because a prime time family program.

trocadero
03-24-2013, 07:58 PM
What a fun question! I was born in 1961, and I watched WAY too much tele. Here's what you would have seen in our lounge room:

The Monkeys
The Brady Bunch (it was like a religion for me)
Gilligan's Island
Lost in Space
Doctor Who
Adventure Island
HR Puffinstuff
I Dream of Jeanie
Bewitched
Hogan's Heroes
Maxwell Smart
Skippy
F Troop

Class of 74
Countdown
Hey Hey it's Saturday
Young Talent Time
The Don Lane Show (I still remember the audience cracking up when he interviewed Diana Ross and she said her daughter's name was Chutney)
The Paul Hogan Show
Monty Python

Funny—I don't remember many American shows as a teen, but almost everything I watched as a child was American. Sorry—can't remember when we got a colour TV.

mccardey
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
What a fun question! I was born in 1961, and I watched WAY too much tele. Here's what you would have seen in our lounge room:

The Monkeys
The Brady Bunch (it was like a religion for me)
Gilligan's Island
Lost in Space
Doctor Who
Adventure Island
HR Puffinstuff
I Dream of Jeanie
Bewitched
Hogan's Heroes
Maxwell Smart
Skippy
F Troop

Class of 74
Countdown
Hey Hey it's Saturday
Young Talent Time
The Don Lane Show (I still remember the audience cracking up when he interviewed Diana Ross and she said her daughter's name was Chutney)
The Paul Hogan Show
Monty Python

FunnyŚI don't remember many American shows as a teen, but almost everything I watched as a child was American. SorryŚcan't remember when we got a colour TV.

Oh good heavens! That list has so many names I remember. Half of them we weren't allowed to watch.

eyeblink
03-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Thanks, everyone! Some of those certainly didn't play in the UK, so that's the sort of thing I'm looking for - things that someone born and raised in England, like myself, would have no memories of.

I've had a scout around Youtube and found some clips from Countdown (which is not to be mistaken for the UK game show of the same title, which was the first programme broadcast on Channel 4 back in 1982 and is still running). Amongst other things I found was an AC/DC performance with Bon Scott in a blonde wig and schoolgirl drag!

Another one that's come up in my searches was The Aunty Jack Show, which from the clips I saw seemed quite surreal and broad, a bit Python- and Goodies-esque, broadcast 1972-73. Was it watched by children, or would too many rude jokes have prevented that?

Rufus Coppertop
03-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Kids' shows -

Adventure Island
H.R. PuffnStuff
Play School

Adult shows

Homicide,
Division 4,
Matlock Police,
Cash and Co,
Rush,
Number 96
Pot of Gold

The horror of all horrors though, was Young Talent Time.

Rufus Coppertop
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Number 96 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_96_(TV_series))for the seventies. (72-77) Huge hit - controversial, banned in many houses (including ours. My heart bleeds for your childhood deprivation. :evil

Helix
03-25-2013, 05:39 PM
In addition to those listed:

Norman Gunston Show (including the gatecrashing of the 1975 dismissal of Whitlam)
The television series of Alvin Purple
Kingswood Country (towards the end of the period specified)
Against the Wind
The Young Doctors
Young Ramsay
Skyways
Sounds (which was the commercial rival of Countdown)

Rufus Coppertop
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Bluey (and Barge Arse of course)

mirandashell
03-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Barge Arse?

mccardey
03-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Have we mentioned the detective series Boney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boney_(TV_series))?

eyeblink
03-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Nope, we haven't yet.

Great suggestions, everyone - very useful!

Emerald
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Cop Shop
Neighbours (remember it started on Channel 7, before moving to Channel Ten)
Doctor Who
The 80's was also when SBS began.

For Kids Shows

Humphrey B Bear and Patsy Biscoe
Fat Cat and Friends
Aggro's cartoon connection
The Banana Splits
Simon Townsend's Wonder World
You Can't Do That On Television

Not sure if this one is Adelaide specific, but Channel Niners and C'mon Kids with Winky Dink the duck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lSilDwa1kc

mirandashell
03-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Winky Dink the Duck? Really?! Oh man, that's brilliant! Sounds like the best euphemism.

Excuse me darling, I'm just going to winky dink the duck.....

mccardey
03-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Excuse me darling, I'm just going to winky dink the duck.....

This, of course, is exactly why we left England two hundred years ago.... :evil

mirandashell
03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Oh come on! You have to admit that is well funny!

ETA: Argghhh! Just got your comment. Lor, I'm thick today!

And yes.... well.... what did you expect? Duck dinky winkers have never been welcome round these parts.

Or those parts.

Or anyone else's parts!

mccardey
03-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh come on! You have to admit that is well funny!

ETA: Argghhh! Just got your comment. Lor, I'm thick today!

And yes.... well.... what did you expect? Duck dinky winkers have never been welcome round these parts.

Or those parts.

Or anyone else's parts!

lol - of course it's funny.

Rufus Coppertop
03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Barge Arse?

Yep. Barge Arse.

It's something dire made out of something woeful. I almost feel guilty for liking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9bWQoQVIQ

trocadero
03-27-2013, 07:58 PM
I just remembered Romper Room. It was a daytime kids' show, and in one part, Miss Betty would look through a glassless hand mirror and say, "And I can see Bob and Sue, and Karen, and ..." She never said my name:( I waited and waited. Never.

mccardey
03-27-2013, 08:00 PM
I just remembered Romper Room. It was a daytime kids' show, and in one part, Miss Betty would look through a glassless hand mirror and say, "And I can see Bob and Sue, and Karen, and ..." She never said my name:( I waited and waited. Never.

My god - you, too? That woman cruelled my entire infancy.

Rufus Coppertop
03-27-2013, 08:03 PM
I just remembered Romper Room. It was a daytime kids' show, and in one part, Miss Betty would look through a glassless hand mirror and say, "And I can see Bob and Sue, and Karen, and ..." She never said my name:( I waited and waited. Never.I decided it wasn't worth waiting when I got from school in first grade and tried telling Happy Hammond about my day. That was when my grandmother clued me in about television being strictly one way.

mirandashell
03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Yep. Barge Arse.

It's something dire made out of something woeful. I almost feel guilty for liking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9bWQoQVIQ

The opening credits are hilarious!

eyeblink
03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Thank you everyone - plenty for me to be going on with, and a few trips to Youtube will be in order!

Priene
03-29-2013, 07:53 PM

Romper Room? One of my mates was on that. Surely that was only available on Anglia in the UK? Unless there was more than one (goes away to google it).

EDIT: Oh my God, there were dozens of versions. Bet they were all cack.

mccardey
03-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Thank you everyone - plenty for me to be going on with, and a few trips to Youtube will be in order!

You're hoping we'll stop now, aren't you? :evil It's not going to be that easy. You've drifted into - THE VORTEX...

Rufus Coppertop
03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Mwuuuuhahahahahhahahaaaaaaaaa!

Racey
04-30-2013, 10:07 AM
'In Melbourne Tonight' might be a good one to look at too.

eyeblink
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Funny you should mention that, but the BBC showed a documentary on Dave Allen last night, including some clips from his appearances on that show and elsewhere on Australian TV in the 60s.

I grew up watching him on British television from the later 70s onwards. He's not been reshown here for quite a long time. Apparently he didn't approve of endless repeats and had a clause allowing only one repeat of each of his shows in his contracts.

Thanks for the suggestion. The story is waiting further development, as per my sig.

LA*78
04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but Boris' Breakfast Club and Mr Squiggle were great kids shows. E Street, Neighbours, Sons & Daughters were soapies.

cooeedownunder
04-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Mwuuuuhahahahahhahahaaaaaaaaa!
ditto (oh, yeah, I know that's a stollen word)