PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Adding Page Numbers With Open Office

thenewbie
03-22-2013, 02:56 AM
I am trying to submit on Createspace and realized I need to add page numbers. I'm having a terrible time with this. I'm using Open Office and I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Thanks.

J. Tanner
03-22-2013, 03:43 AM
I use OpenOffice but I've never submitted to CreateSpace.

What format do they need it saved in?

Also, are you familiar with the basic method of creating page numbers in the header or footer, or have you not gotten that far?

thenewbie
03-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Well it looks like you can submit without the page numbers but to me it's just looks better to have them. I just started using open office a few weeks ago. I have the file saved as a word .doc one. It's just a basic template but the pages aren't numbered. I have tried adding the footer in and it numbers every page except for the first one. I'd like to start numbering on page 3 as page 1. It's just terribly confusing to me!

merrihiatt
03-22-2013, 04:33 AM
CreateSpace has templates you can download that include page numbering. You may not want to reformat your document, but I've found the template to be very helpful. I usually just cut and paste my e-book version into the template and then make adjustments.

merrihiatt
03-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Well it looks like you can submit without the page numbers but to me it's just looks better to have them. I just started using open office a few weeks ago. I have the file saved as a word .doc one. It's just a basic template but the pages aren't numbered. I have tried adding the footer in and it numbers every page except for the first one. I'd like to start numbering on page 3 as page 1. It's just terribly confusing to me!

You can have your page numbers start wherever you want, however, CS will count every page of the book in the metadata. Just FYI.

thenewbie
03-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Hi,

I will probably have to do that, sigh. It's nearly 300 pages lol. Thanks for letting me know.

merrihiatt
03-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Hi,

I will probably have to do that, sigh. It's nearly 300 pages lol. Thanks for letting me know.

I know it feels frustrating. Sorry you're going through this. Just think, for your next book, you'll know what to do and will be ahead of the game!

thenewbie
03-22-2013, 07:19 AM
It was kind of difficult for me to do, but with the help of 2 different sites I was able to. What I did was uploaded the file in CS and then downloaded the file after they filled it in. It was still missing the page numbers.

I finally found
http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/numbering_page/

and

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Page_numbering

and between the two of them was able to get the page numbers on and uploaded correctly. Maybe these links will be able to help someone else! Thanks for your comments.

merrihiatt
03-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Wonderful of you to post the links for others who may be having a similar issue.

stranger
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I think using the CreateSpace templates is the best thing to do. In the template, they also adjust the position of the text depending on if it's a right or left page.