PDA

View Full Version : Agent marked up pages/resubmitting...

Jean Marie
03-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Okie dokie, at long last I've completed my novel and am walking on air :D When I initially sent a query to this particular agent, I'd not finished it, but she was kind enough to go through the first 3 pages and make all kinds of suggestions; cross outs, add ins and what not. She even took the time to write a note on the front, yes addressed to me: Dear Jean Marie! and signed her name and told me to continue writing and to work on these particular areas, which I have. Mind you, this was some time ago, as in a couple of years. Lots of "stuff" happened, and I put it away until about 7 months ago when I took it back out and finished it. I also found her notes and compared them to what I'd written and discovered I had indeed incorporated her changes w/o thinking about it.

So, here I am in a lovely position of having 2 friends who are currently doing a procedural edit and a regular one (one's a cop and the other is a screenplay writer) and I'm going back through, too. My question is, b/c I don't want to screw up after all this time and effort-her page says to query, but on the firm's submission page, it says to send query, first 2 chapters and a synopsis? One of the other agents listed, specifically says to ignore that, but this one doesn't?

Like I said, I really don't want to screw this up, especially since she took the time to write all those notes on the pages, the last time.

Thanks.

Siri Kirpal
03-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You do what the agency says to do. If one agent says not to, but your agents says nothing, you go with what the agency says.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Jean Marie
03-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks, Siri.

Thanks for the greeting. Very cool; I like it :)

Blessings to you, as well.

Jean Marie
03-23-2013, 10:13 PM
So, I've come to the conclusion that after all the views this thread has had, that all agree w/ Siri's positions.

Mods, please lock thread so that it doesn't continue to take up space.

Thank you :)

mccardey
03-23-2013, 10:27 PM
So, I've come to the conclusion that after all the views this thread has had, that all agree w/ Siri's positions.
Mmmm.... doesn't mean everyone agrees - just that no-one so far feels they have much that's helpful to add. I don't think closing the thread is the best thing you can do - what if someone else came by tomorrow who felt they could advise?

For my part, not knowing exactly what the agent said at the time, or how she felt (or crucially how much her agency might have grown since then, and what form it's taken) means that I have no idea what you should do. Some people would try to maximise the earlier contact by personalising your approach to her response - some would think she'll have forgotten about it by now and say follow the guidelines.

I have no idea which is right, though.

Good luck with it. I hope it works well - and congrats for getting finished! Maybe now that the thread has been bumped (and not closed) someone will drop by and give some better advice. :)

Jean Marie
03-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Mmmm.... doesn't mean everyone agrees - just that no-one so far feels they have much that's helpful to add. I don't think closing the thread is the best thing you can do - what if someone else came by tomorrow who felt they could advise?

For my part, not knowing exactly what the agent said at the time, or how she felt (or crucially how much her agency might have grown since then, and what form it's taken) means that I have no idea what you should do. Some people would try to maximise the earlier contact by personalising your approach to her response - some would think she'll have forgotten about it by now and say follow the guidelines.

I have no idea which is right, though.

Good luck with it. I hope it works well - and congrats for getting finished! Maybe now that the thread has been bumped (and not closed) someone will drop by and give some better advice. :)
Pretty funny, mccardey ;)

Turns out, after speaking w/ a few people, cousin included, I'm going to include in my query the fact that the agent did make numerous comments and suggestions. They were all positive, btw, and encouraging. Said agent is currently w/ another agency. As I said in my initial post, I did take all of her suggestions b/c they were spot on.

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it!

amschilling
03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes, I would agree with mccardey. Mention that she offered suggestions and asked you to query when complete. Agents don't say to send work lightly, whether it's after rejecting a full and asking to see your next project, or after making notes and a comment to Q after getting a book that's not even written yet. If you were straightforward and told her the book wasn't done back then, the fact that she responded at all is impressive. Most agents would ignore the query, or send a form R in that scenario.

Good luck. And run your query through QLH here before sending!

Jean Marie
03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks, Amy! I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I'm nearly cross-eyed w/ editing, reading back through and sleep deprived-okay, depraved as well so therefore my snarky post. Please forgive me. Couple that w/, I really don't want to screw this up!! As in, really don't :D

I'm glad I held onto the pages she marked up, and the note was so pleasant. I totally agree w/ your saying that she wouldn't have taken the time to do that if she wasn't interested. It would have been a, "Dear Author, no go." Instead, she rewrote sentences, crossed things out, added words and made suggestions and in her note, told me to, "sharpen things up."

And, I did tell her it was WIP.

Thanks again, and when the query's done, I will share it. Oh, Lord help me :scared:

mccardey
03-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks again, and when the query's done, I will share it. Oh, Lord help me :scared:

You're among friends. :Hug2:

(Terrifying, isn't it? :evil)

:ROFL:

Jean Marie
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM
You're among friends. :Hug2:

(Terrifying, isn't it? :evil)

:ROFL:
Gee thanks :tongue