Two Questions!

Pikabuddy

Learning more every day
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! First off, I apologize if these questions have been asked already.

I've got two quick questions about submitting a manuscript to an agent.

Firstly, which is the preferred document type: Microsoft Word or PDF? I've looked all over the internet, but I can't seem to find a solid answer.

Secondly, will it be a big deal if the first page of actual story (which is the page after the cover letter) is numbered as page two? I've been straining on both Apple Pages and Word to get the headers right (Last name/ Shortened Book Title / Page #) all day. I've been trying everything, following help guides and all, but I can't seem to get the page after the cover letter labeled as page one.

Note: this will be a partial, not a full manuscript.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
1) I've always sent as a Word document and never had a problem. BUT make sure it's a version of Word everyone can read (.doc instead of .docx or something). Obviously, if the agent states a preference, do what they want.

2) You should be fine :) you're not going to get a rejection just for a page number being wonky!

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
For page numbers in Word '07, there's an option under 'Page Number' to 'Format Page Numbers...'. Under formatting you can choose which number to start from. I start at page 0 to account for the cover letter. There's probably a similar option in other versions of Word.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
What Satsya said, or you can put a section break at the end of the cover letter. In Word 2010 and a few other versions, it's on the Page Layout tab, under the pull-down for "breaks." At that point, you can go into your header setup and tell Word to have a different header for each section. Then you don't have to fiddle with the starting page number as much. You can even have a completely different header for the cover page, or nothing at all.

-Your Friendly IT Geek :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't send a PDF. A Word document is much better.

Good luck.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Secondly, will it be a big deal if the first page of actual story (which is the page after the cover letter) is numbered as page two? I've been straining on both Apple Pages and Word to get the headers right (Last name/ Shortened Book Title / Page #) all day. I've been trying everything, following help guides and all, but I can't seem to get the page after the cover letter labeled as page one.

Note: this will be a partial, not a full manuscript.

Thanks for your help!

Your cover/query letter shouldn't be part of the actual mss or in the mss file. The file is just your book; the cover/query is a separate document, pasted into the body of the email itself (or printed separately and mailed, if you're doing a physical submission).

Just cut-paste the cover letter into a new doc, and bring page one of the mss up to replace it.

Good luck! :)

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Your cover/query letter shouldn't be part of the actual mss or in the mss file. The file is just your book; the cover/query is a separate document, pasted into the body of the email itself (or printed separately and mailed, if you're doing a physical submission).

Just cut-paste the cover letter into a new doc, and bring page one of the mss up to replace it.

Good luck! :)

I'm gonna quibble with you on this one, Stacia. :)

These days, many agents are asking for the query to be the first page of the full or partial, because they dump the file onto their e-readers or tablets for later viewing, and then they don't have to go back to their email to remind themselves what they're reading. About half the agents who requested partials or fulls when I was on query last year asked for this.

When I go back out with my rewrite, I'll probably do this as a matter of course.

The world, however, is not going to come to a crashing halt if the query page is numbered 1, the cover page is numbered 2, and the first page of the ms. is 3. If it *really* bugs you, there are ways to reformat so that numbering starts on the first page of the ms., but probably not worth it, IMO.

Pikabuddy

Learning more every day
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the helpful replies, everyone. I just want to make sure that I have the best shot at getting an agent. :)

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Yes, concur-- assume a .doc unless old otherwise.

My request language is very specific-- to send a .doc, how to title it, to paste your query into the first page, etc, etc.

Dont stress page numbers too much. They dont show up on an ereader.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'm gonna quibble with you on this one, Stacia. :)

These days, many agents are asking for the query to be the first page of the full or partial, because they dump the file onto their e-readers or tablets for later viewing, and then they don't have to go back to their email to remind themselves what they're reading. About half the agents who requested partials or fulls when I was on query last year asked for this.

When I go back out with my rewrite, I'll probably do this as a matter of course.

The world, however, is not going to come to a crashing halt if the query page is numbered 1, the cover page is numbered 2, and the first page of the ms. is 3. If it *really* bugs you, there are ways to reformat so that numbering starts on the first page of the ms., but probably not worth it, IMO.

My request language is very specific-- to send a .doc, how to title it, to paste your query into the first page, etc, etc.

Really? Well, I apologize, then. If the guidelines say the query should be part of the mss, then by all means include it (and if they want that, they know it's going to affect the page numbers, I'd assume, so don't worry about that). I've never heard of that before!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you have any doubt, use RTF. Otherwise, use a Word DOC. Never use a PDF unless asked.

Page numbering is easy, and you have no need to start the manuscript as page two. Just don't number until after you include the query, and then tell Word to start numbering/heading with the second page.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Word.doc is best. My computers have an automatic converter to doc. from docx, and I always convert pdf files to rtf, especially if they are contracts, so I can annotate them. But many agents don't, so Word.doc is the safest way to go. I don't require a separate title page just for reading a ms on screen, but I have received attachments with no I.D.on them at all, no headers, no title, no nothing, just Chapter 1. Not good.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't ever remember including the query letter in the same document as the MS. But, hey, if an agent asks for this, go for it.

The main point is to check each agent/agency's own website for specific guidelines. Some agents have very detailed instructions (like what to write in an email subject line), while others are more succinct (like "Query with 10 pages.") Showing you've bothered to check and can handle details will make a good first impression, at least.