PDA

View Full Version : Pajamas?

Wendy J
02-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Who finds they end up being in their Pajamas all day long?

On the other hand, who gets up and showers and dresses before writing?

Spiritwriter
02-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Wendy, it is so common for creative people who work at home to forget to dress and loose track of time. I usually look at my schedule to see if I have to actually see people in the morning. If I do, then I take the voice activated tape recorder and carry it around with me while I shower, dress, drop kids off, etc. One never knows when the muse will chime in. However, if it is a day when I do not have to actually see people - you will probably find me in sweats.

StoryG27
02-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Whoa, wait a minute! We're supposed to be dressed when we write???

I didn't get that memo.

Shwebb
02-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Wait--you're telling me there are "day clothes" and there are "night clothes?"

Next thing you'll be telling me is there's such a thing as "regular meals."

alleycat
02-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Pajamas? What pajamas?

Uh, oh.

Carole
02-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Before I started working OUTside the home, I always had to shower first, but I'd put on whatever was comfy to write. Vintage jeans and tank tops, yoga stuff, sweats, shorts & tank tops. Whatever. No shoes, though. May the higher powers that be save us ALL from shoes!

SC Harrison
02-05-2006, 07:13 PM
On the other hand, who gets up and showers and dresses before writing?

This whole "personal hygiene" issue has gotten crazy these days. I read somewhere that my ancestors in Victorian England only bathed a few times a year, which still seems a little excessive to me. I can't remember the last time I had a bath, and I feel great.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1028&stc=1

Pat~
02-05-2006, 07:28 PM
For that matter, who puts on PJs at night? See, if you wear sweats all day, you can sleep in them, too, and then when you wake up you're all dressed and ready to go. The neighbor who rings your doorbell at the ungodly hour of 2 PM won't have to wonder if you have another "daytime job" on the side while hubby is off at work...

Shwebb
02-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Writing? Writing?!

Carole
02-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Your skin is the largest organ in (on) your body. One of it's many functions is elimination of toxins. Somehow I don't enjoy the idea of wallowing around in the stuff my body decided it needed to get rid of.

Yeshanu
02-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm with Carole on this. Right now, I'm in PJ's, just for playing on the boards and feeding the cats. But when it's time to do serious work, for the most part I feel the need to get fully dressed.

When my first child was born, lo, these twenty years ago, I spent the whole day in PJ's sometimes, and I usually felt terrible. Then I decided that every day, whether I had to go out or not, I'd get dressed. At first it was just sweats, but I felt better. Later, when I realized that with sweats on I still didn't feel my best, I went the full distance and pulled on jeans and a t shirt or sweat shirt.

But I don't shower in the morning. I can't go to bed if I'm feeling the least bit dirty, so I have a bath every night. It also helps relax me and prepare me for sleep.

Next thing you'll be telling me is there's such a thing as "regular meals."

You'll figure that one out when the baby's a bit older, Schwebb. It comes about the same time as you realize that most people sleep through the night... ;)

scarletpeaches
02-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I was out for a few hours this morning and got changed back into my PJs as I'm so tired. Having eczema I'm hyper-conscious of not doing anything to irritate my skin, even though it seems to be confined to my hands and wrists at the moment, but I wash my PJs/nighties after two or three wearings, more frequently if I have a 'lazy day' like today.

Think of how much you sweat at night. Do you want to wear that all day?! Course, this is a good argument for dayPJs and nightPJs...

Carole
02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I usually bathe at night and shower in the morning. The bath is for relaxation mostly because I really enjoy a bubbly soak. I'm not one of the OCD bathing-showering-hand washing people. I do like to be clean, though.

Royale With Cheese
02-05-2006, 08:48 PM
When I wake up I'll brew a couple cups of coffee. I wrote 2 pages this morning in my PJ's. Once the coffee is gone I shower. I'm not too fond of feeling icky all day long.

SC Harrison
02-05-2006, 08:58 PM
When I wake up I'll brew a couple cups of coffee. I wrote 2 pages this morning in my PJ's. Once the coffee is gone I shower. I'm not too fond of feeling icky all day long.

Now you're scaring me. That's exactly what I did, including the two pages thing. Weeeeiiiird.

Paint
02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
One time I was laid off for the winter. (Fun but broke) I wore sweats every day. I was having a great time until I got out my summer clothes. I had gained a lot of weight and never knew it!

Jeans let you know when you are eating too much. It's called "I have to lay down to zip them up!"
My sister doesn't work and puts on make-up every single day. She calls it "getting dressed."

mkcbunny
02-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, I'm still in my PJs an hour after rising, but it's Sunday. Whether I get dressed right away or not depends on whether I have to work early or not. I work at home, but parts of the job involve leaving the house or meeting people. If none of that is involved, I usually change from PJs to sweats [to be "presentable" should anyone ring unexpectantly, or in case the UPS guy comes by]. The I generally stay in sweats until I'm done with paperwork/computer tasks, which can be an hour or several hours.

If it's Friday, my day off, and I'm writing only, then I usually change into a comfy house outfit for the morning and shower later in the day. However, some days, when I feel groggy, I'll shower right away. And if I get stuck on a problem in the book, I'll hop in the shower; I've solved some of my toughest problems in there.

Arisa81
02-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I used to stay in my pajamas for most of the day, but for the past 3 years I always get dressed first thing in the morning. I don't know, it helps me feel more like I have stuff to do. When I am in my jammies all I wanna do is lay around and be lazy :tongue But that's just me of course.

brokenfingers
02-06-2006, 01:02 AM
And if I get stuck on a problem in the book, I'll hop in the shower; I've solved some of my toughest problems in there.Hahahaha! I do the same thing. The shower works wonders for working out story problems.

During the summer, there've been many times I've gotten out of the shower, went straight to my desk and started writing and then realized hours later that I was still naked.

September skies
02-06-2006, 01:05 AM
I only shower and dress in the morning if I'm going somewhere - otherwise, it's my silk pjs until noon. I love these things and they are so comfortable. I have several, and in different colors. Up until a little while ago, I was in my pink floral ones.

PattiTheWicked
02-06-2006, 01:05 AM
When I get up in the morning, I just hop right in the shower and get dressed. This is partly because I sleep in undies and a tank top, so I can't really sit around all day like that -- the neighbors would stare when I walk the kids out to meet the bus. I get clothes on -- comfy ones, like jeans and a sweatshirt -- before I even come downstairs.

Now, in the evenings, it's a different story. Right after dinner (or whenever I know I'm in for the night) I put on a pair of comfy flannel pants and a t-shirt, and lay around reading, writing, and hanging out with the kids. Then I just peel it all off when I go to bed.

rhymegirl
02-06-2006, 01:36 AM
My daughter likes to stay in her pajamas all day. She finds them very comfy and she's a little on the lazy side.

I don't wear pjs so...

My-Immortal
02-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Hahahaha! I do the same thing. The shower works wonders for working out story problems.

During the summer, there've been many times I've gotten out of the shower, went straight to my desk and started writing and then realized hours later that I was still naked.

I was saying 'yep', 'yep', 'yep', as I read the post until the 'naked' part... :)

I love working out story problems with a shower. Something about the hot water beating onto my head does the trick....

Now, if only they could come up with waterproof computers or desks with shower heads.....

Take care all -

PS: As for the thread - dayPJs and nightPJs are great. Occasionally, I'll go throughout the day with sweats and t-shirt from the night before - usually Mondays. The little guy misses Mommy the most on Mondays (after having her all to himself for the weekend) and so we usually stay in comfy clothes and just play on Mondays. Mostly though, I prefer to shower in the mornings and dress before writing.

Arisa81
02-06-2006, 02:22 AM
I live in an apt and you just never know when someone is gonna stop by. I hate being seen in my pajamas. It's bad enough people think I sit at home and do nothing LoL
Would you believe I had the manager of the building say to me "So, what do you do? Nothing?" I was beyond shocked that someone would even ask something like that...I was dressed at the time too lol. If I was in my pajamas, imagine what may have happened :tongue

tiny
02-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Haven't worn jammies in years. But I work first thing in the morning, so I get up, shower and put on my uniform. I only hangout in my grubbies at night.

Arisa81
02-06-2006, 02:49 AM
I rarely shower in the mornings anymore. I love taking long baths in the evenings.

Kudra
02-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Would you believe I had the manager of the building say to me "So, what do you do? Nothing?"

And to that I say, "And there are suckers who actually pay me for it! Can you believe it?!"

Kudra
02-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Oh, and I work in my pajamas all day long, even after I've showered, unless I have to go out. On days that I have to get dressed, jeans and a t-shirt is the most I can do. Make-up? What's that?

AdamH
02-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Shorts and T-shirt for me. If it's chilly, then I toss on a pair of tear-away sports pants. I usually stay in this til right after dinner. I'd feel wrong if I didn't change at least once in a day.

Shadow_Ferret
02-07-2006, 01:16 AM
I get the feeling I'm the only one with a real "leave the house get to work by 8" day job.

So yeah, pajamas would not quite be the right attire for that.

But even on weekends, if we have no plans, I still like to take a shower in the morning. Not saying first thing, but eventually. I just feel grubby otherwise. And I get into jeans just in case I go outside or something.

NeuroFizz
02-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Any of the older guys remember those awful cheap wool suits parents would buy for us to wear to church way back when we were elementary school age? I'd wear my jammie bottoms under the pants to keep them from itching me to death. Once the suits got better, I ditched the jammies.

StoryG27
02-07-2006, 01:44 AM
You mean you don't wear the kilt to bed?

How disappointing.

NeuroFizz
02-07-2006, 01:51 AM
You mean you don't wear the kilt to bed?

How disappointing.
I wear what's under it to bed...

Pat~
02-07-2006, 02:38 AM
I have kids to transport to school, so get dressed in leggings and sweater for the morning workout that follows. Weekends it is fun to hang out in the jammies a bit later, though (or sweats).

pconsidine
02-07-2006, 02:58 AM
Since I don't wear pajamas to bed, I will usually put some on if it's a writing day. However, since most of my writing takes place between 8PM and 2AM, it depends on whether I feel like getting changed before I get to it or not.

Stupid day job.