Status
Not open for further replies.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I recently got myself a second-hand laptop and I'm back at gaming. Growing up, I mostly was into SimCity/The Sims and Age of Empires so I never was a serious gamer with few exceptions (Commando, Call of Cthulhu, Bioshock).

Since I've started hanging out more with folks from Engineering and gotten myself more free time so I've started playing again. I recently got Portal 2 and Mass Effect (uninstalled yet) and been thinking to get SimCity 4 and Dishonored or Skyrim.

Nonetheless, I want some recommendations. Which games made in the last years do you consider a must?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm not sure how old they are now, but I consider Plants vs. Zombies and World of Goo "must play". I recently finished playing Skyrim, and while it was really interesting seeing how the Fable-like genre of games is developing and enjoyable to understand all the Skyrim lols people have made, my overall rating for it would be only 6 or 7 out of 10, about the same as I'd give WoW.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Did you like the Diablo series back in the day? You might consider Torchlight 2: http://www.torchlight2game.com/

There's a demo, so there's not much to lose by trying. And it's $20 if you want the full game. A low price for so many hours of play.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Skyrim is a lot of fun! I also enjoyed DragonAge 2 quite a lot (though in my opinion, the replay value on it isn't so great).

I loved the first two Age of Empires games (plus expansions!), but the third was, for me, a departure from what I liked about the other games.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Great recommendations, folks! I never played Diablo, but I did play Starcraft and I think the mechanics is similar.

And in Age of Empires III the whole dependence on the main city made the game somewhat stilted.

Zach Lancer

Registered
Reaction score
Well if you liked Starcraft, the two released parts of Starcraft 2 (Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm) would be right up your alley. But to give actually useful recommendations it would help to know a bit more about what genres of games you like. There's a whole shitload of quality PC games that have come out in just the past year or two.

And hey, play the first Portal before the sequel, it's the superior (I would argue perfect) game. Not that the sequel isn't also excellent. Half-Life 2 and it's two episode sequels are a sure bet as well, and they're a bargain these days. Get the Orange Box, it contain's both the Half-Life 2 games and Portal 1.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
No, Starcraft and Diablo are pretty dissimilar. Starcraft is a real-time strategy. Diablo is an isometric fighting game. Quite different. But, regardless, Torchlight is a damn fine game. I suggest giving the demo a try. If you like it, you can't go wrong for $20.

davidh219

Walking Anachronism
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to play smaller indie stuff more than big releases, so if you're into that, I would say some great games on steam are:
Hotline Miami
Orcs Must Die! 1&2
Torchlight II
Super Meat Boy
Bastion
Rayman Origins
etc.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Another great indie gem: Faster than Light.

It's unforgiving and brutal, but endless buckets of fun.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I don't know how robust your laptop is, so maybe I shouldn't recommend the peak games like Crysis 3 or Far Cry 3.

RPG
System Shock 2 is actually great, so I second that even if it's 15 years old. If you can get it, do. You'll never quite forget the voice of Shodan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHyDDqyzri0

FPS
Dishonored is one of the best FPS's out there. You already have it, so you're sorted.

MMO
I'm going to suggest Eve Online. Eve is weird; you can play however you want. Bad, good, neutral. The devs will never interfere with your gameplay unless you out of your way to harass other players. I like that in the game. And those 1000+ man fights are pretty awesome too. Eve is also the game that puts the M's back in MMO. It's not a game if you intend to solo-play. You will only be effective in group play. The solo elements are terrible.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Check out Good Old Games (www.gog.com) - they've got a bunch of classic PC games, legal and updated so they're guaranteed to work on current operating systems. I'd recommend Tropico and Pharaoh, both of which are old but still fantastic simulation games.

Incidentally, there's a new SimCity out. I wouldn't recommend it yet until they fix their server issues, though :-\

dreamonceh

Registered
Reaction score
If you like strategy, I'd recommend you Crusader Kings 2. I spend a lot of time playing it (You can also use mods to play in Westeros in case you like GRRM, and now there are mods about Middle-Earth and TES World being developed)

Another game I'd recommend is Elemental (Fallen Enchantress or the new Legendary Heroes). They are "RPG-Strategy" games.

For RPG, I'd say Torchlight I and II which are very good games.

And Skyrim is a good choice. I prefer Oblivion for the plotline, but the "gameplay" is great.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Max, I still haven't gotten Dishonored, I don't know if is too much for my laptop.

Wendy, sounds like a great website! I will definitely check it out and what you say is the reason I'm not touching the newest SimCity.

Dream, will definetely check out Crusader Kings 2!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
This week I've been playing SimCity 4, which is lots of fun (don't get the new one.) Seconding recommendations for Crusader Kings 2, FTL and Hotline Miami. I'd also mention Legend of Grimrock, which is a nifty old-school Dungeon Master clone, and cheerful roguelike Dungeons of Dredmor. None of those should tax your laptop too much.

Epsilon

Young and clueless.
Registered
Reaction score
My personal recommendation would be FEAR, but if you're into strategy games and the like, check out Civilization V.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
If you want a difficult but satisfying strategy game try X3: Albion Prelude. This is an update of X3: Terran Conflict.

Although it looks like a first person space sim it's actually a sandbox game. There are all kinds of roles you can take; freighter captain, shipping mogul, manufacturing capitalist, bounty hunter, mercenary, miner and many more. You can play as any of half a dozen races each with their own distinctive ships. Pretty much every ship is for sale and all are highly customizable.

You can buy more ships than just the one you fly. You can set them on trading runs. You can set them to supply orbital factories you build. You can set them to explore the galaxy and lay recon satellites that will let you know what's going on. These ships learn as they go so they get better and better at their jobs. You can even build shipyards to manufacture ships for sale or your use.

It also has quite a number of missions for you to fulfill.

It's got a high learning curve but it's worth it.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Skyrim is awesome, as are the earlier Elder Scrolls games, Oblivion and Morrowind (Daggerfall too but that's ancient). I'm quite enjoying Torchlight 2 at the moment. Hubby is enjoying Guild Wars 2 but my PC can't run it (I played Skyrim on the Xbox so I'm not sure my lil' laptop could run that either.)

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you like football (soccer)?

If so, Football Manager is probably the best management sim out there. Way too addictive though but all the little details in the game are superb and really realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.