My B***h of a Dog Killed My Neighbor's Chihuahua

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
First let me say I am a responsible dog owner with considerable experience in most doggy matters. But my German shepherd-proof fence that completely surrounds our property of three acres wasn't sufficent to keep my neighbor's Chihuahua out. :-(

My dog Tess, is a predatory beast. She will turn herself inside out to please me, as long as she's within sight. Let her slip away, as she's wont to do and she turns into a land shark. She lured the little dog onto our property and killed it.

My neighbor saw it happen, which must have been tramatic, but she is an experienced dog person, knows her dog should not have been on our property and actually apologized for it.

I feel so bad for the poor little thing. It didn't have a chance.

My husband immediately went and installed a cable line that we now chain our dog to when she's outside and we're not with her. He also bought her a day-glo pink collar because he felt it was the most humiliating color he could find.

Tess figured out pretty quickly that she's a chained beast and her hunting days are over. It's deflated her ego ( a good thing, just ask our other dog) and made her manner meak and submissive, which I know is a ploy but I'll take it.

She is such a b***h. No one in the family loves her except me. She's mean to our other dog, constantly stealing his toys which she buries, and picking fights with him despite the fact he's twice her size. He's so intimidated by her he won't lift his leg in her pressence. She also has digestive issues which means she'll have diarrhea, or become incontinent without daily, expensive medication. She has oily skin which causes cysts to form under her coat and makes her smell bad if not bathed frequently.

Yeah, she's a hard dog to love. She's ten years old so she only has a few more years. I have a feeling I'm the only one who will miss her when she goes.

Last edited:

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After reading your post I actually feel worse for your dog :( It sounds like she has some difficult issues to deal with. While I don't have any advice to offer, I'd just like to say that you guys did the responsible thing by having a fence around your yard. I'm guessing squirrels are smart enough to stay out, but the neighbor's dog was not. It's a sad situation but will shaming her or faulting her for needing medication will improve her behavior?

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
After reading your post I actually feel worse for your dog :( It sounds like she has some difficult issues to deal with. While I don't have any advice to offer, I'd just like to say that you guys did the responsible thing by having a fence around your yard. I'm guessing squirrels are smart enough to stay out, but the neighbor's dog was not. It's a sad situation but will shaming her or faulting her for needing medication will improve her behavior?

I don't fault her for needing medication. It is what it is. And the purpose of chaining her (the cable is 200 feet long and she's on a 25 foot chain) is not to shame her. It's the only way we can be sure she's not hunting and killing other living things that have the misfortune to come onto our property (Squirrles, rabbits, groundhogs, etc.). She gets plenty of off-the-chain time as she's a house dog and I still take her for walks on the property where she's off leash.

At night she would wake me up to go outside just so she could hunt. Now she sleeps through the night. Tess won't come when she's called at night because she's black and she knows we can't see her. I've seen her stand 15 feet away from me when I'm calling her and she'll freeze, turn her head so the flashlight doesn't reflect her eyes and wait to see if I'll walk by her.

Last week she hid behind our car when my husband called her to go inside and this was in broad daylight! She was hoping he'd go inside and leave her out so she could find something to kill.

And this is a dog who would clean up in AKC obedience!

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
Dogs are predators. Some have more prey drive than others. All three of mine love to hunt; the Fila killed and ate her first groundhog when she was five months old. It's the way of it; we try to keep other people's pets out of their way, but if an animal is loose and doesn't have sense enough to stay out of range . . . .

I'm glad, for your dog's sake, that your neighbor is a reasonable human being.

The skin and digestive issues -- even perhaps some of the behavioral quirks -- can usually be dealt with, or at least mitigated, with good feeding. My GSD/wolf rescue is now fourteen -- and no skin issues, joint problems, no BO or bad breath. First time I've ever had a GSD that didn't have those problems by age ten. It's the feeding.

Sabine's one of the best researchers I have ever encountered, bar none. And one of the most ethical human beings as well. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is a sad and traumatic experience, but the other dog was on your property.

I have a cute and fluffy dog that most people find not at all frightening. But if the neighbor let a pet rabbit on my property, my dog would kill it in a few seconds.

You understand your dog's nature and you keep her restrained on your property, which is the responsible thing to do.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Well, I didn't read this as shaming, rather, an honest evaluation of a dog who's loved despite it all.

I'm terrified my Jack Russell will off another dog one of these days. Ever since he survived a pit bull mauling, he goes right for the top of the neck of any dog he meets. I think he thinks it's playing--its how he and his sister terrier play--but the little shitzhus and chihuahuas don't take too kindly to it. They FREAK and shriek. Of course, I don't let him approach those dogs but that doesn't stop them from approaching us once in a while. I'm better now about scooping him up rather than worrying about the other owners corralling their dogs but it's aggravating having to watch out all the time on a walk. And the dog park? Forget it. Funnily, he's OK at the farm we board him at but I think they make sure he's always with the big dogs.

So sorry about your G.S. Traumatic for all involved. She may be unhappy for a while, but she'll adjust. She's terribly lucky to have had 10 years of 3 acres to roam. I wish my dogs had that.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Dogs are predators. Some have more prey drive than others. All three of mine love to hunt; the Fila killed and ate her first groundhog when she was five months old. It's the way of it; we try to keep other people's pets out of their way, but if an animal is loose and doesn't have sense enough to stay out of range . . . .

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

I've had GSDs all my life and unfortunately many do exhibit a strong prey drive. As protectors of the flock they were bred to be efficient killers. A quick grab and a flip into the air is usually all it takes. I had a pregnant female jump a 4 foot fence, kill and bring home a rabbit and then give birth to 9 puppies the very next day.

But Tess takes it to a new level. She heard the neighbor outside with her dogs (they have 6 0r 8). Tess slipped away, made herself known to the other dogs (silently, because a good hunter doesn't give herself away) and when the little guy squeezed through the fence and ran up to her, she pounced. Tess wasn't protecting our property, she knew the dog was no threat. And I'm sure she knew it was a dog and not rabbit or some other feral creature. That's what really ticked me off and made me swear, never again.

She came very close to killing the puppy I rescued from Puerto Rico. I was there so I was able to stop her, but I never ever trusted her with the puppy and was relieved when the puppy went to her furever home. BTW, I've brought kittens into the house and once I made Tess aware they were members of the pack she was fine with the cats. Cats don't compete with her for top dog status so she doesn't care if they live with us. Other canines are a different matter.

Yeah, she's not a lovable dog.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the purpose of chaining her (the cable is 200 feet long and she's on a 25 foot chain) is not to shame her.

Please forgive me to misinterperting then, but these were the lines which led to that conclusion:
He also bought her a day-glo pink collar because he felt it was the most humiliating color he could find.

Tess figured out pretty quickly that she's a chained beast and her hunting days are over. It's deflated her ego ( a good thing, just ask our other dog) and made her manner meak and submissive, which I know is a ploy but I'll take it.

Best wishes for you and your pooch. :) I've always had medium to big sized dogs and am quite partial to them. There's only on Chihuahua I care for and he's a mod here on AW :D

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Please forgive me to misinterperting then, but these were the lines which led to that conclusion:

Best wishes for you and your pooch. :) I've always had medium to big sized dogs and am quite partial to them. There's only on Chihuahua I care for and he's a mod here on AW :D

The pink collar does make us feel better although I'm sure Tess doesn't care what color it is. <g>

And I DO tell her I love her because she needs to hear it, even though I sometimes don't mean it. lol

And I love Chihuahuas. I love their "big dog in a little dog body" attitude, although that probably contributed to the incident.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I went through a phase of being very disillusioned and angry with my dog when he twice attacked a neighbor's dog (although no harm was done). But in the end that dog is what it is. My dog has many fine qualities but I must never, ever leave him alone with cats or small animals. And yes, he will be sneaky to try and get to them which is objectively horrible. But he was a fear for many years and had to eat what he could get. That made him what he is. After a while I got back to not blaming him for it.

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
And I love Chihuahuas. I love their "big dog in a little dog body" attitude, although that probably contributed to the incident.

Now there's truth, lol! The neighbors across the street from me have a little male and he's convinced that Kharma (150 lb. Fila Brasileiro bitch) is the love of his life. He has no concept that his entire body will fit into her maw with room left over (not that she would, she eats what she kills and she's got a nice personal inhibition about cannibalism ;) )