Two Voices

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoJo73

Registered
Reaction score
Website
iampenningmypassions.wordpress.com
For anyone who writes or dabbles in non fiction, do you ever notice yourself using two distinct voices?

It seems oftentimes when I write, I'll be super professional, writing in my 'grown up' voice, and other times I'll just start scratching out something more similar to a journal entry, or blog post. And that seems to be the one people enjoy, most. It's definitely MY voice. But I'm wondering... where does this other mood/voice even come from? I don't like it - it's no fun!

Does having two voices mean I have a split personality? :D

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
When writing nonfiction, who you are writing for often dictates the tone of the piece as well as what you are writing. A personal essay is going to read much differently than a political or business piece.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone who writes or dabbles in non fiction, do you ever notice yourself using two distinct voices?

Yes. At least two.

It seems oftentimes when I write, I'll be super professional, writing in my 'grown up' voice, and other times I'll just start scratching out something more similar to a journal entry, or blog post. And that seems to be the one people enjoy, most. It's definitely MY voice.

Same here. I hate my "academic" voice, and love my voicy voice.

But I'm wondering... where does this other mood/voice even come from? I don't like it - it's no fun!

I can't speak for you, but which pole my voice ends up gravitating towards—academic vs. voicy—depends on a lot of factors:

1) The "voice" of my inner monologue. 50-year-old foreign academics = insta-fail. Twenty-somethings who aren't afraid of slang/profanity suit me better. Female voices, too.

2) Intensity. For whatever reason, I don't do subtle well. I need to be loud.

3) How easy it is to find the right words. Ease is relative to writing speed. It never has to be easy—but when it isn't, I shouldn't try to write very quickly.

4) Whether my main goal is to communicate enjoyably—entertainingly, "funly"—or to communicate accurately. My voice is better when I focus on the enjoyment part first and fix my derps in revision.

It means you are possessed by an evil writing spirit who wants to transform you into a typewriter.

Last edited:

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com

It seems oftentimes when I write, I'll be super professional, writing in my 'grown up' voice, and other times I'll just start scratching out something more similar to a journal entry, or blog post. And that seems to be the one people enjoy, most. It's definitely MY voice. But I'm wondering... where does this other mood/voice even come from? I don't like it - it's no fun!

I've found that I have three voices.

My "business" voice, when I'm writing essays for school.
My "random" voice for blog posts and whatnot, and my "author" voice who, honestly, I want to kill half the time. That idiot just never shuts up.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
When I read back my essays from my first [English Lit] degree it felt like I was constantly feeling my way in the dark. I far prefer my new 'archaeologist' voice.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I have at least three voices: the Very Serious Academic Voice (ie, non-fiction), the fiction writing voice, and the colloquial voice that I use in writing to friends and here etc. It's a good thing to be able to switch registers as needed!

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly it's more than two for me. I have a whole deck of voices for any situation. Even my voice ON HERE is different from voices I use on different forums online. For one, I always make sure to use proper capitalization and correct spelling errors before hitting 'post,' and I do my best to speak proper English and not devolve into 'internet speak.' It's basically out of respect for all the writers on here. I feel like on other sites I can get away with typos and no-caps 'becuz its teh internet lolz.' Now that I think about it, even my emails to different managers are different voices. One boss I'm super goofy with, while another boss, I'm very formal.

Anyway...yeah.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I have more than two voices. To my mild annoyance, the most popular one is the "fairytale" voice (careful, elaborate, a bit purple), while the one I most enjoy using is the chatty/slangy voice.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
As writers, we have to have many voices to fit the audience we're writing for. I have a set of voices that I use at work--from professional inner-office messages to super-professional and polite messages to people outside our office--and a set of voices I use for fiction--from Southern gentleman circa 1854, to Frenchwoman circa 1785, to more contemporary voices. I also had a particular voice for academic papers when I was in school, but since I'm not in school anymore, I don't have to make use of that one.

Having more than one voice means you're flexible as a writer. It's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.